Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D-Day for Italian Football

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That is the last date, i.e. after the WC final.

I'm fairly sure the decision has already been made, and they are simply waiting until Italy are finished in the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    That is the last date, i.e. after the WC final.

The world cup final is on the 9th is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Things take a nasty turn:
    ROME (Reuters) - Former Juventus player Gianluca Pessotto was in a serious condition after falling from a window at the club's headquarters, the Juventus press office said on Tuesday.

Pessotto, who took up the post of Juventus's sports director at the end of last season after 11 years with the team, was taken to hospital in Turin.

The defender, who made 22 appearances for Italy, was a regular starter during one of the most successful periods in Juventus's history, winning six Serie A titles and the 1996 Champions League.

Italy captain and Juventus defender Fabio Cannavaro walked out of a news conference at the Azzurri's World Cup training camp when he heard the news of Pessotto's fall.

:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Things take a nasty turn:

:(

Was it implied that he tried to kill him self? Or is some one tidying up after themselfs?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Chelsea might be readying their chequebook if some of these teams get relegated...........

kearnsr wrote:
    Was it implied that he tried to kill him self? Or is some one tidying up after themselfs?

*looks* dodgy is all I'm saying...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

*looks* dodgy is all I'm saying...

Dodgy isnt the word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Looks like attempted suicide.
    Police investigating Gianluca Pessotto’s fall from a window have confirmed he was found clutching a rosary.

The newly appointed Juventus team manager suffered multiple fractures and is in a serious condition at a Turin hospital after it is understood that he fell from a height of around 15 metres.

Reports have suggested that Pessotto either fell from a window – on the second or third floor – but there is also the possibility that he fell from the roof.

Police are continuing their investigation as Pessotto, whose injuries are not thought to be life threatening, is undergoing medical tests and surgery this afternoon.

Pessotto, who hung up his boots as a player at the end of last term, is understood to have firstly hit a parked Alfa 147 and then a Lancia Phedra as he plunged to the ground.

“I have no idea what happened, I’m shocked,” said Juventus marketing guru Romy Gai.

Marco Girotto, Juventus’ Press officer, added: “We still don’t know what occurred, we’ll have to wait and see.

“Gianluca has suffered a number of fractures, but his life is not at risk.”

The news of Pessotto’s fall was met with shock by the Italian national squad who are presently on Germany 2006 duty.

Captain Fabio Cannavaro brought his Press conference to an end after he was informed of this morning’s events.

“I’m shocked, ‘Pessottino’ is the nicest man on earth,” said the Juventus captain.

Marco Materazzi noted: “He was here in Germany just the other day, what happened? He’s a friend who must recover. We are all close to him.”

A number of Juventus officials are now anxiously waiting for news at the Molinette hospital, including new President Giovanni Cobolli Gigli, Romy Gai and Michelangelo Rampulla. Former Juventus Vice-President Roberto Bettega is also present.
    http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun27i.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The trial has been pushed off to July 3rd.

The trial into allegations of match-fixing in Italian football has been postponed until July 3, it has been announced.

The sporting tribunal was set to get under way in Rome today, but the Federal Appeal Court (CAF), which is hearing the case, has accepted requests from five Serie B clubs to postpone the proceedings in order to give them more time to prepare.

CAF president Cesare Ruperto said: “We’ve received a request for postponement from five third parties involved – Bologna, Messina, Lecce, Treviso and Brescia.

“We believe that request for a postponement should be accepted.”

Juventus, AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio are set to answer charges of match-fixing along with 26 individuals, who have not been officially named due to privacy laws in the country.

Source: breakingnews.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

God bless the Italian legal system. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

kearnsr wrote:

Juve have got away with other things like the doping scandal so I reckon they'll get away with this.

:rolleyes: they were found innocent of all charges in the doping scandal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

In the same way OJ Simpson was found innocent then yeah?

Wouldn't be surprised if they all just get a slap on the wrist, don't think it'd be a good thing for football if they're all heavily punished, it'd certainly make the champions league that little bit crapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

In the same way OJ Simpson was found innocent then yeah?

Wouldn't be surprised if they all just get a slap on the wrist, don't think it'd be a good thing for football if they're all heavily punished, it'd certainly make the champions league that little bit crapper.

It would be one heck of a gutsy move by the Italian FA to relegate the lot of them. It would certainly raise the reputation of Italian football if they did. If they don't who can you trust then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If they just get a nominal fine they will think they can get away with it again. Only way to stamp it out is to come down hard on everyone involved. Make others think twice about trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

bucks73 wrote:
    Only way to stamp it out is to come down hard on everyone involved.
    Coming down hard on the individuals involved will have more benefits. Does it actually matter to Moggi if Juve got relegated?

• Advertisement

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=worldFootballNews&storyid=2006-07-04T102430Z_01_L04760745_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-SOCCER-ITALY-TRIAL-PROSECUTION-URGENT.XML&src=rss
    ROME, July 4 (Reuters) - The Italian football federation's prosecutor has asked that all four clubs being tried for match fixing by a sports tribunal should be thrown out of Serie A, with champions Juventus to be relegated at least two divisions.

On the third day of Italy's biggest sporting trial, Stefano Palazzi called for Juventus to be relegated to "below Serie B," and for AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio to be all relegated to Serie B.

In addition, Palazzi said Juventus, who would go into Serie C1 or below if his requests are upheld, should be stripped of their championship titles won in the last two seasons.

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I wonder what the odds are on Inter winning next seasons title...might be worth heading down to the bookies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i checked that before ricky. Betfair/paddypower/boylesports dont have any odds up for Italian Seire A yet. I am guessing they are waiting to find out what the outcome is. Expect Inter be to clear favourites though.

I tohught Ac couldnt be be relegated because they werent charged with the same crime as juve etc.?

No, they can be relegated.
    But, the crime Juve are charged with, if found guilty, has a punishment of automatic relegation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Juve get dumped into third division thats 3 years out of European Football unless they win a cup, they will end up having to rebuild a the team as stars wont hang around two years in the lower divisons.

Mike.

• Advertisement

The entire team will be up for sales.

I don't think the prices will be as low as expected, it's just that they'll be availible.

Many many teams will get involved in the running of many players, and I think players like Zambrotta could go for quite a bit of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

mike65 wrote:
    If Juve get dumped into third division thats 3 years out of European Football unless they win a cup, they will end up having to rebuild a the team as stars wont hang around two years in the lower divisons.

Mike.
    yes they will be srewed big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

they wont get relegated to serie 2c anyway. THey will be put down to Seire B.

Juventus' defence lawyer has told the tribunal that relegation to Serie B would be acceptable.

The Italian champions, along with Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina, are currently on trial over match-fixing allegations.

All four clubs face relegation, but prosecutors have argued that Juve should be stripped of their last two league titles and demoted two divisions to Serie C due to the level of their involvement.

Former general manager Luciano Moggi is at the centre of the entire scandal and Juve lawyer Cesare Zaccone admits that the official did make mistakes, but has urged the tribunal not to hand out an excessively stiff punishment.

"An acceptable penalty would be the same asked for the other clubs - meaning Serie B and a few points deduction," said Zaccone.

Lazio president Claudio Lotito and Fiorentina supremo Diego Della Valle also presented their cases on the third day of the trial and pleaded their innocence.

Anyone still think Juve won't be relegated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

God, you know it's bad when the defence is as good as asking to be relegated!

Just reposting what I've read elsewhere...
    Thuram, Ibrahimovic, Vieira, Cannavaro, Emerson, Buffon, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Del Piero, Nedved and Trezeguet to Real on a free with Juve taking them back on a free after 1 or 2 years depending on Juve gaining promotion.

Its made the new in Spain, Juve are the one's who've suggested it.

http://www.as.com/articulo/futbol/Juve/planea/ofrecer/Madrid/jugadores/cesion/dasftb/20060706dasdaiftb_29/Tes/

If it does happen, get your money on Real for La Liga and CL double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I can see a lot of clubs crying foul over that. But my God could you imagine getting that lot in as your summer transfers. Bit too much like fantasy football for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

When their own defense call for relegation that suggest they know they haven't a leg to stand on!

Thuram, Ibrahimovic, Vieira, Cannavaro, Emerson, Buffon, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Del Piero, Nedved and Trezeguet to Real on a free with Juve taking them back on a free after 1 or 2 years depending on Juve gaining promotion.

That has to be the stupidest fake media story ever.
    Most of those players are over 30, some over 33! Why would Juve want a team of 33-35 years olds back in two years? That will not happen. Some of them will no doubt join Capello, but to suggest that is just stupid. Whoever made up that story should do some better researching.

I suspect it proberly breaks some EU law to boot!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

So the cover up begins!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0707/matchfixing.html

they could get away with.

Amnesty doesn't suggest cover up, it suggests those found guilty will not be punished. Thats the point where UEFA step in and say "either deal with this or we will"

The Italian FA will not risk a ban from European football because of the ramblings of the Italian Justice Minister (RTE - "earlier this week Sports Minister Giovanna Melandri said the proposal was idiocy"), it would be the equivalent of Micky McDowell sticking his oar in over here.

Saw that earlier, typical. As said if FIFA can ban Greek teams they can do the same to Italy.

Mike.

ps Silvio is on his way to trial but for unrelated matters!

Sale starts @ Juve?

But only to Fiorentina...:D

Click
    Italian champions Juventus have sold striker Adrian Mutu to Fiorentina for eight million euros (£5.5m).

Advertisement