Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vomiting Baby

Options
  • 22-06-2006 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a six week old baby boy who pukes a lot after most feeds. He started out on Cow and Gate Premium but we have changed to Cow and Gate Comfort (used to be called Omneo Comfort) with little effect. We try to have him sit up for a while after feeds and he gets wind up usually no problem. But he will puke a few times after most feeds sometimes up to a couple of hours after the feed. Anyone out there any ideas to help him. BTW we have an appointment with the Doctor but I was hoping for more "experienced" opinions.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Is he bringing up the whole bottle or just dribs and drabs over time?? My two came off cow and gate at 4 weeks because of this and the went onto SMA and it was perfect for them. Is the child crying to when he is puking, could b colic then. Best to ask the doc but i would look into changing the feed too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Large amounts (50ml/.5oz) sometimes but mostly just small amounts. No major crying, just a bit upset. Our first boy had colic and this is no where near as bad. Might give the SMA a go after we see the doctor.

The main problem is he will sometimes get sick up to a couple of hours after a feed when we are all asleep. Just a bit worrying.

Someone suggestd "Infacol" but I thought that was for colic. I don't want to go trying out 50 different products as this can be upsetting for the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Could it be reflux? My son was diagnosed with reflux after we took him to the docs as he was throwing up after pretty much every feed....he ended up on omneo with colief in it to make the milk so thick it was much more difficult to bring up - but we still had to feed him with a spare bottle on stand-by as he would bring up the first & the house covered in towels & sheets to try & protect it from the projectile vomiting! :rolleyes::D

If he is just windy then omneo won't really help but will give him horriffic nappies! :eek: Maybe try switching to SMA gold or white (can't rem which is the thicker formula)....we had to try 4 or 5 kinds of formula before we found one that worked.....and remember to give each formula a couple of wks as their systems take a wee while to get used to them....sometimes it's just a case of trial & error....maybe ask the Dr about lactose intolerancy....perhaps soya milk would help? Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

squire1 wrote:
    Large amounts (50ml/.5oz) sometimes but mostly just small amounts. No major crying, just a bit upset. Our first boy had colic and this is no where near as bad. Might give the SMA a go after we see the doctor.

The main problem is he will sometimes get sick up to a couple of hours after a feed when we are all asleep. Just a bit worrying.

Someone suggestd "Infacol" but I thought that was for colic. I don't want to go trying out 50 different products as this can be upsetting for the baby.

Ask the doctor to examine for pyloric stenosis, just to be on the safe side.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My son had reflux, and it his throwing up was a bit like the exorcist, it would land maybe 3 feet away. He was put on Enfamil AR, and it worked pretty well. Little bits of milk coming up is common, isnt it? Think its called posseting. I can see why your worried, esp with it being the done thing to put babies to sleep on their back.

• Advertisement

Vas_Guy wrote:
    Ask the doctor to examine for pyloric stenosis, just to be on the safe side.

Google is my friend here. I'll ask, but what he does keep down is passing through him fine.

Ickle Magoo, yes, maybe we will try another feed if the doc gives the all clear. He is only on Comfort for a couple of days now. Reflux sounds like it could be close to the mark.

KatieK, There is no projectile vomiting, normally just runs down his chest when he is sitting up. It is the quantity that has me concerned. He is taking a 5Oz bottle but maybe half this might come up within a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

I wouldn't be too worried about your little boy if the vomiting isn't excessive. It is perfectly normal for an infant of his age to 'spit up' a little. Their little tummy's are quite sensitive, and would fill quite quickly.

I found the best pattern that worked for me was (both boys fed with C&G) - to feed an oz, sit the baby up and rub his back for a minute, and go back to feeding, repeat and so on. They didn't want to break their feed, but I persevered because wolfing it down caused them discomfort afterwards. This pattern not only helped them to digest better for me, but both had colic - and it seemed to help a little.

I was told in the hospital that the reason why they spit up is because they are full, and will throw back up the excess. Try feeding him an oz or a half oz less for now, he may need to be fed a little sooner this way - but you might find he will keep more of the feed down.

Best of luck.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My little girl (8 months) is not great on bottles, only takes 3-5 oz 4 times a day, and if I persevere and try to get more into her, she is guaranteed to throw half of the whole thing back. Shes never been able for large amounts but seems to be thriving just the same. Your doctor should be able to plot your babys weight on a chart to see if they are growing ok for their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Our youngest (15 months) always gets a bad case of hiccups whenever she laughs too much, but today she actually vomited. Anyone any ideas about this? Not worried, but find it unusual :confused:

Cue, my wee boy vomited at the slightest thing....hiccups, laughing, small amount of choking, a burp, anything - I think some of them, like us, have more sensitive throats/stomachs!

It always looks much worse than it is and much more than it actually is when food or milk comes up so altho it may look bad, it usually isn't - and thankfully they grow out of these phases......it's a real worry at the time tho! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just an update for anyone who reads this thread for information. We went to the Doc last night and as expected he said there was nothing to worry about. Weight gain is perfect so he is getting all he need nutrition wise.

ST* : we took your advice yesterday and gave him more breaks during feeds and guess what? No vomiting for three feeds so far! Looks like he was just guzzling his bottle and filling himself up too quick. This method along with using the thicker "comfort" feed should hopefully relieve the problem.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions, all very useful. Just what I've come to expect from this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

squire1 wrote:
    Just an update for anyone who reads this thread for information. We went to the Doc last night and as expected he said there was nothing to worry about. Weight gain is perfect so he is getting all he need nutrition wise.
    ST* : we took your advice yesterday and gave him more breaks during feeds and guess what? No vomiting for three feeds so far! Looks like he was just guzzling his bottle and filling himself up too quick. This method along with using the thicker "comfort" feed should hopefully relieve the problem.

I'm glad your son got the all clear at the doctors Squire, and feeding well for you. A point to remember is some babies prefer the fuller feeling of the thicker milk, but that usually means they may take a little less of it than with the ordinary formula. It is only by these little trials and errors that we learn about our babies and what their personal preferences are. One other point to mention is that if he is on a heavier milk, just watch out for his poo. He may become a little constipated from time to time, if this happens introduce the odd bottle of cooled, previously boiled water between feeds. This should help loosen things up for him. :)

Great to hear! Long may it continue! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

i have 4 kids and always found it was the flow of the teat caused more problems,bottles normally have a slow flow that makes the baby suck to hard,so i changed them to medium flow and it dosent happen,but do also check for the reflux with your doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

my daughter had reflux. the vomiting with that though is projectile. mabye he could be lactose intolerance. cow and gate make a baby soy formula. my friend used it on both her daughters and they were fine on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

squire1 wrote:
    Hi, I have a six week old baby boy who pukes a lot after most feeds. He started out on Cow and Gate Premium but we have changed to Cow and Gate Comfort (used to be called Omneo Comfort) with little effect. We try to have him sit up for a while after feeds and he gets wind up usually no problem. But he will puke a few times after most feeds sometimes up to a couple of hours after the feed. Anyone out there any ideas to help him. BTW we have an appointment with the Doctor but I was hoping for more "experienced" opinions.

Thanks

My son was one of those kids who vomited regularly after being fed. Cost me a fortune but he turns 14 this year and all is well. I am sure it will quieten down and all will be alright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

my baby is now seven months and like that to she vomitted and brought up her feeds up until she was nearly five and a half months. I tried changing milk gaviscon thickening agents. I stopped worrying once she was gaining weight and that it was not projectile. As soon as she started on solids it gradually started to lessen. A nurse told me that they can sometimes have a weak muscle at the top of there stomach that gradually starts to tighten.

Advertisement