Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croatia V Austrailia

• 22-06-2006 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

I don't know about you folks, but I would much rather see this game than watching Brazil toy about with Japan tonight.

Both teams have something to play for, evenly matched, and with alot of historical connections (approx half the Aussie team are of Croatian descent) this game should be one of the best of the tournament so far.

Anyone know if any of the networks are showing this game live, or do we have to watch the Samba boys going through the paces?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Culchie wrote:
    I don't know about you folks, but I would much rather see this game than watching Brazil toy about with Japan tonight.

Both teams have something to play for, evenly matched, and with alot of historical connections (approx half the Aussie team are of Croatian descent) this game should be one of the best of the tournament so far.

Anyone know if any of the networks are showing this game live, or do we have to watch the Samba boys going through the paces?
    bbc3 if you have digital - i reckon we should all bombard RTE with emails asking for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

You have to go through that code/other channel malarky to get bbc3 on digital don't you? Anyone know how? I'd rather see this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

You have to go through that code/other channel malarky to get bbc3 on digital don't you? Anyone know how? I'd rather see this as well.

To find BBC3:

With your digibox turned on, press the "Services" button (near the top of the remote).

Select number 4 (System Setup), and then 4 again ("Add Channels").

In the appropriate fields enter the following (you move through the fields using the up and down arrow keys).

In the Frequency field enter: 10.773,

The next three fields are toggle fields, i.e. using the left and right arrows will change the value.

Toggle Polarisation to : H
    Toggle Symbol Rate to: 22000
    Toggle FEC to : 5/6

Then select the last button - Find Channels.

After a few seconds the channels should appear. The channels on this frequency should be - BBC One London, BBC Two England, BBC News 24, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC Three, BBC One Northern Ireland and BBC Radio Cymru.

Use the Yellow button to place a tick beside each one you wish to store and when you've finished ticking press "Select". These channels will now be stored. (note this is two steps, first the yellow button, then hit "select")

You can view them by pressing the "Services" button, then 6 ("Other Channels"), use the arrow keys to move to the channel you want and press "Select".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Culchie wrote:

Someone was listening to Liam Brady last night!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Pretty sure you can get the second game from BBC1 by pressing the red button once they are showing the main game there. Thats what they are doing for the Ghana game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Culchie wrote:

and a couple of the croatian team are australian.

maybe they should mix and match and call themselves croalia?

or austratia? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Disaster. Rte are pressing ahead with Brazil v Japan, a total waste. Oz and Croatia have it all to play for. Im not surprised, some tool obviously thinks we share his passion for Samba, so we have to watch potentially one of the most pedestrian games of the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Live line on RTE radio was flooded with punters looking to watch this game but they wont budge - idiots. Anyway BBC3 or UKTV-G2 (also) it is.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would prefer to watch Brazil over 2 terrible teams.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

and a couple of the croatian team are australian.

maybe they should mix and match and call themselves croalia?

or austratia? :)

side splittin, you should do stand up man. l

I'd rather watch this game too, bbc3 it is so. Brazil haven't been their entertaining selves this WC, but then again that might change tonight

They might loose! That would be entertaining :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mike65 wrote:
    They might loose! That would be entertaining :D

Mike.

not as entertaining as WWm's comments/jokes! He's a legend isn't he?!

I cant honestly see Brazil losing this game even if they tried. but they'll find it tough from quarters on if they play the way they have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well Croatia-Australia was an absolute epic!!!

Thank you to BBCi!!!

RTE muppets. Like when a Brit team is through to the next stage of CL and they still show their pointless group game instead of Milan-Barca. :rolleyes:

PS: Enjoy the flight home Mr Poll. Hopefully your fellow countrymen aren't too far behind you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Never been a fan of Poll. Delighted to see his world crumbing around him at the end of the game!

Great game, plenty of excitement. One of the best of the world cup so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Ack that second Aussie goal cost me €128!!!!

I'll have to work damned hard from early on if I'm going to catch all the Aussie-Italy game next Monday afternoon.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Ack that second Aussie goal cost me €128!!!!

OUCH!

I had money on the Aussies to win, if Poll had blown 2 seconds later at full-time they would have won it :( (goal scored right at end)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness, RTE got it right. The first half of the Australia game was rubbish, they switched at the right time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Excellent game. It had everything. Graham Poll will not get another game after that shambolic performance. He must be the only ref to ever have booked a player 3 times before sending him off.

Delighted the Aussies got through and I think they will give the Italians a decent game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

just got home from work and cant wait to watch the highlights of this game

GET IN!

GET FÚCKING IN!

COME ON THE OZ!

fantastic game. man, i was on the edge of my seat. we played croatia off the park today.
    ok, so it wasnt football of refereeing at its finest, but what a game! I havent seen harry kewell play so well since i saw leeds v bradford from the corporate stand at elland road in 2000!

we'll take the italians next! bring em all on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

just seen the highlights,cracking game but poll,hang you head in shame,you totally lost the plot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,781 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Culchie wrote:
    I don't know about you folks, but I would much rather see this game than watching Brazil toy about with Japan tonight

Absolutely!
    TheMonster wrote:
    bbc3 if you have digital - i reckon we should all bombard RTE with emails asking for a change

What's all that about? Are you talking about Sky? On NTL it is all pre-programmed. Only got NTL digital installed a few weeks ago. Turned the tele on the watch AUS-CROA and to my shock it was only available on BBC3. Thanks NTL - only a fiver a month!

And what a game it was! At any point could it have gone either way

CROA-AUS:

1-0 CROA would have gone through
    1-1 AUS would have gone through
    2-1 CROA would have gone through
    2-2 AUS are going through

And I guess I am not the only one ever to have witnessed one player getting 3 yellow cards in one match :eek:

That ref will never do a WC again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

KdjaC wrote:
    I would prefer to watch Brazil over 2 terrible teams.
    Keep taking the meds.

Australia have come along in leaps and bounds with Guus Hiddink as coach. Kind of reminds me of Ireland in the 1994 World Cup when they got to the quarter finals beating Italy.

Although that is not something we will see again - not in this lifetime!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Great to see the Ozzies get through, a real thrawler...

Any one else hear you're man Bill on RTE say "Well, the best team got the draw tonight" bleedin idiot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

rcs wrote:
    Someone was listening to Liam Brady last night!! :D

Nope, was in Croatia for their first two games, have a place there:p

Anyways, Croatia threw it away against Japan, missed a penalty etc... they shot themeselves in the foot, I fancied them to make the last 4, but there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Question - if Australia hadn't gotten the result that suited them, could they have campaigned to have the result declared void because Croatia played with more than their permitted number of players (the guy who stayed on after two yellow cards)?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

dSTAR wrote:
    Australia have come along in leaps and bounds with Guus Hiddink as coach. Kind of reminds me of Ireland in the 1994 World Cup when they got to the quarter finals beating Italy.
    Hiddink is the man, I am glad he didn't go to England, hopefully he will give us a shot if/when Staunton goes.

Also, didn't Ireland get knocked out in the last 16 after Packie's howler in 94 against the Dutch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

5starpool wrote:
    Also, didn't Ireland get knocked out in the last 16 after Packie's howler in 94 against the Dutch?

Yes we did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Culchie wrote:
    Anyways, Croatia threw it away against Japan, missed a penalty etc... they shot themeselves in the foot, I fancied them to make the last 4, but there ya go.
    Japan threw it away against Croatia! ;) Missing a peno is all well and good but missing an open goal is criminal. :( Same goes for the Jap-Aus match when Japan had a couple of easy chances to make it 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Don't know what it is with you and Japan but they were easily the worst team in that group as well as the least deserving to go thru. Any team that loses 3-1 and 4-1 after being in a winning position doesn't know what they are about and As for the 0-0 v Croatia that game was so bad that neither team deserved to win it .

Pigman II wrote:
    Don't know what it is with you and Japan
    Because they are one of the most attractive footballing teams in the world and I like the way they play. They had a crap WC but they should have beaten Australia and Croatia. They were terrible against Brazil though, worst I've ever seen them. I was supporting them at this WC because I had money on them qualifying. I'm a converted Italy supporter to because I have them to win the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well that doesn't make sense to me as Italy are very workman-like at times (esp when they're winning).

Maybe you just like any team that plays in navy blue jerseys? ;)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Because they are one of the most attractive footballing teams in the world and I like the way they play..

doesnt mean they are any good of course.

• Advertisement

doesnt mean they are any good of course.
    I don't think I'd have put money on them qualifying if I didn't think they were good. That doesn't mean they are a good team but it's my opinion that they are.

btw - when I seen you had replied to this thread I was absolutely certain it was a reply to my post. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I like about Japan, is they play like Brasil play.
    They try to emulate them in every way, but they just don't have the skill to do it.
    It's nice to see though

Advertisement