Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic card Drivers

Options
  • 22-06-2006 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a copy of Half Life Episode 1. Upon installation it stated that my graphics card's drivers were out of date and prompted me to download the latest drivers from the ATI website for my card (Radeon X800XT). I did this but forgot to remove previous drivers and therefore the PC crashed over and over.

I asked for advice in solving this problem and was told to install drivercleaner and then install the omega drivers (though I'm not sure why these are supposed to be superior to the ATI drivers). My pc now keeps stating that it has found "new hardware" and would I like to install the drivers. I thought I had already done this as the pc appears to be operating ok.

Should I just restore the pc to an earlier date, or remove the omega drivers and install the ATI drivers, or install the original drivers that came with the graphics card.

Help!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Deadly game. bet your missing it. bit short tho. cleared it other day. sounds like your running on onboard graphics.

Omega drivers have been tweaked for added performance also there are usually some bug fixes applied to the Ati driver. Most gamers reccomend them over the Ati driver.

Do you have the driver cleaner & omega driver yet? get them on another pc if not.
    uninstall your old driver in control panel. Remove network cable (stops windows getting driver automatically). start your pc in safe mode (usually f8). Disable anti-virus (can sometimes interfere). Run driver cleaner. empty recycle bin. install new driver and re-start. Reconnect net cable. turn back on anti-virus.

ALWAYS FOLLOW THE ABOVE PROCEDURE

Driver cleaner (read instructions)
    http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html

omega dirver homepage (I'm a nVidia man, dont know which 1 is for you, some1 else may advise)
    http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Also make sure you have latest version of directX (9c). Available on the microsoft website. could also be on the game disk if you explore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

ATI's drivers comes in two parts the driver itself and a control panel if your driver was out of date enough for Steam to warn you then you you probably had the old style Catalyst control panel installed.

I'm guessing you went and downloaded the Catalyst Control Center which uses a new control panel didn't remove the old one beforehand and it all went to hell after that.

Step one, go into the add/remove in your control panel and remove anything related to ATI drivers and the Omega drivers.

(Ignore the found hardware warnings)

Step two, run the driver cleaner and remove any remnants of ATI or Omega drivers.

Step three, make sure you have installed .NET framework which is required for the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) you will see it listed on ATI's driver download page.

If .NET is installed then just run the ATI Catalyst Control Center Package 6.5 installer and it should take care of everything.

Alternatively you will see a "display driver only" link on ATI's driver page under the heading low speed dial-up this is the driver only, you can manually install this driver if you wish & then use a third party control panel like the excellent ATI Tray Tools.

Advertisement