Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home CCTV

Options
  • 22-06-2006 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the place to post this but couldnt see anywhere else!

I want to set up a fairly simple cctv system in my new gaff when I move in.
    I definately want a camera over the front door, and one over the balcony at the back. Probably one or two others elsewhere in the gaff, but not essential.

Whats the best sort of system to look at and where?

I guess Id like something that records to a hard drive, Id probably only be keeping 2 weeks worth at a time anyway, thats more than likely the most the place could potentially be vacant for.

As for real time viewing itd be great to be able to maybe get some sort of web tool I could watch on as Ill have a Mac in the living room, or else be able to flick it on on the TV, you know for when theres someone at the door you dont want to answer too. Being able to view it over the web would be sweet tho especially if I was out or away or whatever.

Any suggestions or ideas on how much this might cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I don't have details or time to go looking around the web, but my PVR can record 65 hours footage at SP (2nd highest quality) but that's much better quality then a CCTV/webcam would be. So I'd say you could buy a PV with a 200 gig drive and record 200 hours easily, they you'd need a quad splitter device that would record the 4 images on one input to the PVR (Unless you want to buy 4 PVR's. They you'd need the cameras which can be faily expensice, it'd probably be better to get 4 webcams and some device to convert the USB output to a Video signal.

I'd say you could do it for around a €1,000 maybe €2,000 depending on the way you go.

John

Something along these lines might work:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101919 = £260 (250 gig PVR)
    http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/cam-bullet-bw.htm (Camera, probably better then a web cam as it has the correct outputs = 4*£42
    http://www.21best.com/21_best/electronic/security/video/quad_splitter/for_sale_.html#Quad (Quad Splitter) = £100-ish

If you leave £200 for cable and other bits and pieces, maybe extra cooling for the PVR.

That's a total of £728, so about €1500 however that took me about 4 minutes to put together.

John

He he, I keep having ideas, you could then put the output of the PVR to a tv, or split it and send 1 feed to a Tv and the other to some form of Live encoder (Like this = http://www.stream-video.com/AVN200.htm), like they use for webcasts/webcams etc, I'm sure there's a stand alone box, if not a PC or something. I have no idea how much they'd be, or how well they'd work.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JuncoPartner

Fair play to ya!
    1500 isnt really bad at all I guess. This looks the business

No worries, I'm sure you'd get it down to about €1000, shopping around etd, but that's the basic rig I'd use.... I might do it when I get a flat. If you can work out a way for the PVR to record in a loop it'd be even better :) Means you wouldn't have to worry about it!

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You can get a dvr which will record up to 4 cameras and have access to it from the internet. They cost about 300sterling from rfconcepts and the cameras can be got off ebay. Go for sony CCD 1/3. You can get them for about 50euro each. There is also the option of a capture card for the computer, again ebay is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

i have an axis 207 network camera that i can watch live over the broadband connection.. it has 640x480 resolution... also when motion is detected it emails me the pictures or i can watch it live... however you need 3mb broadband with 384kb upstream to view camera live,,, picture quality is good..

also with axis camera station you can record directly to pc and have a good cctv monitoring station, when motion is detected the sw on pc records and then stops when motion stops so that your hdd doesent fill up..

overall its quite good and has just cost me 310 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

You dont have to pay sterling or leave ireland or e bay... Plenty of suppliers of cheap cctv systems in Irl...try sending a mail to cctv@cleansounds.com

Advertisement