Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Pro SP2 Re-install?

• 22-06-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I need to do a restore/re-install of my operating system. Is there anything I should know or do in advance?

Can I do an "in-place" restore from the CD without having to back-up my work? Does this type of restore effect any third-party applications?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Three rules for re-installing:

1. Backup

2. Backup

3. Backup

So you see where this is going?

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Three rules for re-installing:

1. Backup

2. Backup

3. Backup

So you see where this is going?

MC
    So, what you're saying is I don't really need to do a back-up then... :D No, seriously, I will be doing a back-up (just the normal files back-up I do now and again) but I was just wondering if applications and preferences etc would be effected. Also, I presume I will need to download/install all updates again once the system is restored?

On the subject of back-ups, I downloaded SyncToy from the Microsoft website. It's a great tool for syncronising back-ups, especially to external HD's. Anyone else use this, or is there a better (free :D ) app out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

If you are doing a re-install, u will have options to fomat the disc ( in which case you will lose everything ) or you could install it on the same drive without formatting ( messy option as you would have 2 instances of windows after ).
    Either way you will need to re-install all applications / updates etc..

mr_disc wrote:
    If you are doing a re-install, u will have options to fomat the disc ( in which case you will lose everything ) or you could install it on the same drive without formatting ( messy option as you would have 2 instances of windows after ).
    Either way you will need to re-install all applications / updates etc..
    Seriously, shít I thought I could just do a 'restore-in-place' kinda thing where it just replaces the core system files and leaves everything else in place.

Oh, well. Serves me right for buying a PC instead of a Mac ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

o yes sorry, if u talking about a system restore thats a different story ( thought u were talking about a re-install ) , you can 'restore' to an earlier time no worries......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Depending on whats wrong this might help,

Go Start-Run and type cmd.
    When it comes up type sfc/scannow.
    You will need to put in your xp disc. This tool checks all system files and if they are damaged or missing it fixes them.

This might help but as I said it depends on your problem,

ab

Edit: I meant to say that you might not need to do a fresh install after this

ab_cork wrote:
    Go Start-Run and type cmd.
    When it comes up type sfc/scannow.
    Cheers ab, I'll give that a try. The problem I have is listed here in this earlier thread. See what you make of it...!

Advertisement