Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music review

Options
  • 22-06-2006 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

well what did you all think?my teacher basically predicted everything that could be predicted so i thought it was great.didnt know for aaages whether it was the tenor aria or bass aria but then saw the time signature and knew it was the tenor.thought the last section was a tiny bit hard though.yay nearly finished!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

my personal respone to gerald barry went a little something like this :

"gerlad barrys piano quartet blends aspects of traditional music and classical music in a new and unique way...blah blah blah....Even though i understand all of these points this quartet makes my ears hurt."

definately getting full marks for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

hahah yea what was up with that question??!!i was waffling about how i loved it because of the use of si beag si mor and lord mayos delight and the WONDERFUL clusters on the piano :o

and then i got sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

Haha!! i said the same! i was like yeah i love the way it makes me want to kill myself! :D
    i thought it was grand! the aural was a tad iffy tho but ah well lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

All too true, very solid and fair paper.

Only two questions were a bit odd;

1. Bach - Identify the type of movement and explain it
    2. Tchaikovsky - What comes directly after this extract

In the bach I said it was a Riternello but didn't know what that was...
    Said that the Friar Lawrence theme comes after the extract, leading to the end of the tchaikovsky.

Also, question 2 in the Irish (the harp) was in 9/8 - a slip jig. Could've slipped people up a bit (Hohoho...)

How good was the chamber music version of Michelle ?!! :D

i didnt know it said explain the movement?i just said-movement 4,tenor area?!

oh god yea that chamber music for michelle was gorgeous!i could have listened to it all day!!haha in our monks that aural piece was so awful everyone started laughing!i was so happy when i saw that it was a lennon/mccartney song....the questions were hard though :mad:

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote:

Also, question 2 in the Irish (the harp) was in 9/8 - a slip jig. Could've slipped people up a bit (Hohoho...)

It was a double jig because it was 6/8 time. I know it sounded a bit odd at times but if u counted right until the end it was 6/8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

it was definately 9/8
    me and my entire class got that right...and we're all pretty good at music

lol! me and my entire class got 6/8 and we're pretty good aswell. lol ah well its over now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Oh my god what a ****ing great paper. Was so easy!!
    But surprised seeing they put a minor as Q1 again but it was easy anyhows!
    I love Bach so seeing that come up was great and the Baroque version of the Beatles song was so cool. So was Excerpt 3 in the Irish Music section!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

What was the main question?

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:
    I love Bach so seeing that come up was great and the Baroque version of the Beatles song was so cool. So was Excerpt 3 in the Irish Music section!
    ugh no the irish music section was horrible!i play irish music and its sooo much better than all the sh*t thats on the leaving cert course!its awful because it gives young people a bad impression of trad-makes them think its all old men playing the whistle!(the harp peice was nice though:D )

and sorry to burst your bubble but it was 9/8 - i know that slip jig ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Renegade28

i only said it was a jig. with 6/8. there was a lot of arguments about it in my school too. paper was fair enough but im kicking my self caus i said it was the bass aria instead of tenor aria. stupid stupid *bangs head off desk*
    ya i thought the irish music question and unseen question were way easier than usual especially than my pre.

Did everyone else get much time extra after the cd finished. i thought we were supposed to get a few minutes to go over the paper. our fella whiped em off us straight away. which annoyed me caus i wanted to add more to my irish music written question. i probably wrote enough but i cuda went on for ages more!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

yeh i got 9/8 for the slip jig.
    i'm a tad bit drunk writing this...and i also went for a drink before paper 2...s**t.

i didnt want that minor melody but oh well. the listening was pretty easy i thought but for the essay i started waffling on about sean nos when i realised they wanted to know about irish traditional INSTRUMENTAL music. damn....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Lads!! That paper was a DREAM!! Seriously!!
    The CODA in Tchaiks!? I mean.. Oh.. I nearly burst into tears of happiness in the exam!! And the bach.... Lads..
    And it was a slip jig in the Irish question...

The composition paper was a bit tricky, huh? With the minor melody and the weird plagal cadence ending for the Harmony question.. That was a first!! I just hope I put IV-I at the end.. I have a feeling I might have just left it as a perfect cadence. I'll kick myself if I did... All in all - I am happy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

yup definitely a slip jig, i dont see how oyu coudlve possiible got 6/8 time for it!?

paper 1 was graaand.
    im a retard and somehow managed to get a few questions on MIchelle wrong (no.. i dony know how... =/ ).

what was the deal with that question about your personal opinion on Barry?! ahahahaaa... what a strange question.

paper 2 was bleugh, but thats just cos i couldnt concentrate much and had a sore head.
    i thought the Q5 harmony was awful, it was probably just me, but i really couldnt get any really flow to it when i was singing it to myself..
    Q1 melody was ok, wish i had a frickin piano near me though.

gah, headaches suck.

but overall, *thumbs up*

oh, and for the Aria, question about the form, i wrote about Dal Segno form, which is the same as the 6th movement.. not sure if thats what they were looking for though. its definitely dal segno, but maybe it was ritornello they were looking for

Rockerette wrote:
    oh, and for the Aria, question about the form, i wrote about Dal Segno form, which is the same as the 6th movement.. not sure if thats what they were looking for though. its definitely dal segno, but maybe it was ritornello they were looking for

didnt they just mean it was an aria? and explain wat an aria was?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Renegade28

dammit i siad da capo... as in the same as aria 2...

so that means i ****ed up my bach question completely then.
    other than that i found it ok tho.

i said it was the coda/ recapitulation for tcshovsky... it wasnt till after that i realised they were different things, does that mean they will cancell each other out and i wont get marks? :(
    what were we supposed to say happened next? it was the coda i didnt think there was much happened after that.

my melody went ok i think... im not sure bout my backing chord question.. the bass line was kinda complex. it took a while to figure out a good pattern to it. i was running out of time so i ended up just simplifying it towards the end, i tink u get most of the marks anyway once it matches the chord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

I did the ordinary level paper, the easiest exam Ive ever done.Tick a few boxes here and there.....BOOM!!!

I wish a few harder questions came up so I could have shown off what I studied. I would have been well able for Higher Level but not for the Performance part unfortunatly, ah well defo got a B1, possibly an *whisper it* A!!!!
    AGGHHH!
    im soo happy!
    An A in ordinary level is better than i could ever do in higher!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In all honesty, how can [some of] you not like the Barry piece? Also, which composer was on the "big" question?

• Advertisement

Pez wrote:
    didnt they just mean it was an aria? and explain wat an aria was?:confused:

eeh.. i dunno.. i thought that woulda been a pretty easy question?

maybe im wrong.. gah i probably am knowing my luck :confused:

an Aard, i think its pretty easy not to like Barry, just as it's easy to not like Bach, like a lot of my class do..
    Beauty in music is in the ear of the beholder... we all like different things

personally, i think Piano Quartet is deadly, but i'd never just "expect" other people to like it...

so go away with your "in all honesty" !

(hehe i jest of course..)

Bach was the main one, the 4th movement, Aria, with flute & tenor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Rockerette wrote:
    so go away with your "in all honesty" !

(hehe i jest of course..)
    I only said that because I know that most people hate it ;).

And if Bach was this year, then I hope Barry comes up next year; I think it's the easiest of the composers to answer on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Aard wrote:
    In all honesty, how can [some of] you not like the Barry piece? Also, which composer was on the "big" question?

Oh for god's sake. I HATE it when people assume that to not like Barry is some sort of affront to music.
    Sure. He is a talented musician but just because some of us believe that his music sounds like cats being killed with Cheese Graters doesn't mean there is something wrong with us.
    Gah.. He is a pretentious git.
    And everyone is entitled to their own opinions... There is nothing wrong with liking him. But there is nothing wrong with detesting him either.

yup i agree, it came up last year, you can answer the questions without even hearing the music... although thats the case a lot of the time too.. so.. my point is useless..

anyways yes... A lot of people hate it, but, meh... we know better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

hey rockerette, when they said descibe the form, i think they meant binary and ternery (ABA).

The only things good bout Barry is his homage o horowitz and the A section.

everything else is tripe.

It makes me want to vomit razors (joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fraulein

Paper 1 was sooo easy! Way easier than previous years. Music is something I do the least study for coz it's so hard to revise it but hoping I got the A1.
    I was expecting to see operatic section of queen coming up, are contrasting dynamics and antiphonal dialogue between chorus and solo voice features of opera? I was surprised to see bach in Q1 but it was a really nice question, didn't require much detail compared to previous Q1s. Were polyphony and syncopation examples of non trad features in Q3 irish music? What the hell was the style of singing in Q1 irish music?!! I just said traditional irish. Damn I was expecting to hear sean nós when I saw the question.
    I loved the unseen!! Interrupted cadence at the end?? I'm a huge beatles fan but I think that classical thing was seriously sh**e, it completely butchered such a nice song! Paper 2 wasn't as nice. Well Q1 was lovely, lots of stepwise mvt but wasn't too happy with my chord progressions in Q5. You get something like 12 marks for good progressions is it? Ah I love post mortems...

im now gonna sound probably like a retard, and give all you musicians a chance to laugh at me...

but...

was the singing not clearly sean nós?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!! :confused:

Barry being pretentious?
    most unique musicians are...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Aard wrote:
    In all honesty, how can [some of] you not like the Barry piece?
    It's called opinion.
    I disliked but then I went to see it being performed in the NCH and was very impressed by the level of skill it requires from the musicians. So now I can admire its complexity but give me Baroque anyday.

And yeah, I put down Sean Nós aswell, because it was Sean Nós. Unaccompanied singing with ornamentation = Sean Nós.

yup i wrote sean nos even though there was absolutely no ornamentation....stupid examiner :mad:

• Advertisement

why stupid examiner??
    sean nós doesnt have to have ornamentation.... donegal style has very little, if any (i think its donegal.. yeah... the munster folk have loads aint it?)

Advertisement