Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music review

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

TimAy wrote:
    What was the main question?
    It was Bach's Cantata, Movement 4, Tenor Aria.
    Lovely question, I know it really well cos I love playing the flute part to it :D
    I'm almost certain that Irish Q was in 9/8.

For the bach one I said that it was ABA1 form, and talked about that for a bit. Dunno if it's right or wrong, don't care anymore.

Btw Barry imo was the best part of the course. It's so exciting, and forces a reaction whether good or bad from it's listener. I always feel moved by it, not completely at ease but in admiration of teh work. I love the F and C8 <I think> theme.
    Gah.. He is a pretentious git.

How is he pretentious? He's creating original music, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's pretentious. Here's a picture of someone who's pretentious then maybe you can tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Daddio wrote:
    Btw Barry imo was the best part of the course. It's so exciting, and forces a reaction whether good or bad from it's listener. I always feel moved by it, not completely at ease but in admiration of teh work. I love the F and C8 <I think> theme.
    Yes! (That's the triplets bit right?) I love it! The parts of the piece I like the least are some of the C sections and the H section. The idea behind the H is good (new music at the end), but I don't think it's executed very well. The C sections I don't like mainly because it's hard to remember the melodies, except for C4 (piano solo, which I can play ^__^). The B bits are good, and I wish they were more prominent in the whole piece.

*My previous statement wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously. Eg I know that some (maybe most?) people like Queen the best, but I like it least.

Slurms made a good point too, no matter how much you dislike the piece, you have to respect the ones who played it. I can't imagine how tough it'd be to play with three others, and keep perfect time.

Also, that was a nice question on Barry, "give your own opinion"-style thing right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Daddio wrote:
    How is he pretentious? He's creating original music, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's pretentious.

By the same argument, just because it's original doesn't mean its not pretentious. It bloody well is as is Barry himself - have you seen the amount of bizarre time changes and exact tempo markings in the piece? I'm all for creative control but 8 different time signatures in two lines in the extract they gave us... that's just Prima Donna stuff, intellectual for the sake of being intellectual.

Most of it also sounds like a bison with it's testicles hooked up to a car battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

jimi_t wrote:
    By the same argument, just because it's original doesn't mean its not pretentious. It bloody well is as is Barry himself - have you seen the amount of bizarre time changes and exact tempo markings in the piece?
    How is having exact tempo markings any different from, say, a metal band saying that their music has to be played with certain instruments? Clearly the tempo is inherent to the music.

As for the time changes, people only think of them as bizarre because they're not used to pieces having such changes. It's just convention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dunno if anyone watched Nickelodeon but I was watching Renford Rejects. And it was the episode where they discover the beginning of football back in Roman times. And the song that plays while they're playing football was Excerpt 3 from the Irish Music section. Brilliance!

Whoah that's weird.

Weird that you were watching renford rejects. :rolleyes:

Daddio wrote:
    Whoah that's weird.

Weird that you were watching renford rejects. :rolleyes:
    Yeah but whats even weirder was the morning of the exam I was listening to Michelle. *twilight zone music*

You're weird.

Paranormal forum tbh. :D

Daddio wrote:
    You're weird.

Paranormal forum tbh. :D
    Personal Abuse.

Reported tbh ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement