Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey

Options
  • 22-06-2006 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

3D Realms released a demo for Prey. It's quite good of them, considering the game isn't even out for a while yet. It seems really innovative, and everyone loved it at E3. Hopefully once this is released they might start working on DNF...

Anyway mirrors for the demo are here: http://www.3drealms.com/prey/download.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've played around with the demo for a few minutes at lunch and its great stuff. They've really done some nice stuff with the engine, the intro is fairly gripping and its looking like its going to continue throughout the game. The portals are also shown off too which are a real eye catcher. Really looking forward to the full version now, tis due out July 12th btw. :)

Just played the multiplayer there, its fairly slow paced but its good craic. The levels are cool and disorientating...in a good way. Note: Those who suffer from vertigo may want to proceed with caution. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's amazing! Some of the stuff is crazy, like the gravity flipping and portals. Multiplayer is pretty mad, although everyone sucks at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I loved the bit in the room with the small glass cabinet. Really suprised me and left me with a big grin (I'm being vauge so as not to spoil it BTW ;))

Ah I assumed you havn't been watching the videos/trailers of it then? Its all been shown in those but its completely different when you go to do it yourself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Nope, been staying away from pretty much everything about it. Made the demo so much sweeter :D

• Advertisement

Na the piece he is talking about made me go WOW! It wasn't shown in the videos.

The
    Honey I Shrunk The Kids
    part?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

yup..played it meself today...very promising, nice to see devs who're actually trying to inject something new into the formula, and are suceeding by the look of things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

hairball wrote:
    yup..played it meself today...very promising, nice to see devs who're actually trying to inject something new into the formula, and are suceeding by the look of things

apparently some of these idea's were due for duke nukem, but eh... we all know the story there.

very solid game, but i can't help but feel how bland the guns actually feel (quake4, doom3... can the engine not be streched a bit more?), despite how cool they look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

downloading it now, is there many people online with it?

• Advertisement

Servers are packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Just finnished the Demo......very very impressed, very nice visuals runs smooth and sounds great. Cant wait for the final game. Portals rock.......

Yea, lets just say its obvious who was involved in the making of game. Theres the in game banter, the extra objects that you can mess with such as the slot machines and the over the top humour/weapons/plot that all make it very Duke Nukem like. Its good to see the guys still have it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

wow, some great stuff in this. maybe a bit meh about the weapons, but the madness makes up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Good demo, but the wall walking and disorientation made me feel sick. Reminds me of playing descent, will have a bucket beside the pc for the full release.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

that was so f*ckin cool.

add that my wishlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Enjoyed that a lot.

I hope the gravity bits are only in the first few levels... I can see that getting boring pretty quick.

Plus it's nothing Sonic Adventure hasn't already done to some degree.

Good to hear some Blue Oyster Cult in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

that bit cracked me up. when the music came back on.

the gravity bits if the trailer is anything to go by is a big part of the gameplay.

and sonic adventure 2 did most of the grav bits (crazy gadget level i think)...and it was done in sonic and knuckles before that in death egg zone.

But i liked them. Pity they feel so clunky when you walk on them, i was hoping for fast paced gun fights with guys on the roof and walls. I do like those grav buttons you shoot, if they get into multiplayer alot of people will get p*ssed.

also i must add, the single unique thing in the game i thought...the bad guys use the health packs. totally caught me by surprise. low on hp went for a health pack and the f*cker grabbed it before me...everyone i ran into seemed to do that to me. really got under my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The graphics are really lovely though.

I was running it on a 6800 Ultra and it ran beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

apparently some of these idea's were due for duke nukem, but eh... we all know the story there.

aaah..that would explain the overall feel then...looking forward to the full game even more now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Fantastic demo,some really amazing stuff in the game, the gfx are superb too, defo gonna buy this.

:D
    CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Not untill you guys said it did I realise how like duke3d this game is....and that a good thing. Bring on the full version

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah really impressed by this, the videos made me go meh, but actually playing it really changed my mind

yeah loved the intro, thought it could have used more cowbell :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That was excellent. Some great use of the portal technology. Can't wait for the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lads who made this are makeing duke nukem forever arent they ? ...Makes you somewhat sad we will never see it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

bizmark wrote:
    Lads who made this are makeing duke nukem forever arent they ? ...Makes you somewhat sad we will never see it

Nope. 3D realms farmed Prey out to Human Head and will publish the game. They probably had little involvement in the developement since they are too busy scratching their collective arses... I mean developing Duke Nukem Never.

They did have some input alright, I think its fairly evident from a design point of view. However yes, Human Head developed the game for the PC with Venom Studios handling the X360 port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

They did have some input alright, I think its fairly evident from a design point of view. However yes, Human Head developed the game for the PC with Venom Studios handling the X360 port.

It was originally a 3D Realms game, back in 1998 before it got canned. Not sure how much of the original game elements are in the new version, the portal stuff certainly is along with the story.

Must say really enjoyed the demo, and they seem to have put a good deal of work into optimising the Doom 3 engine, the demo ran much smoother on my machine than Doom 3 or Quake 4. The levels do look very Doom 3-ish, especially things like the doors and panels. Wondering if it is actually possible to make a game with this engine that doesn't look similar to Doom 3

Wicknight wrote:
    It was originally a 3D Realms game, back in 1998 before it got canned. Not sure how much of the original game elements are in the new version, the portal stuff certainly is along with the story.

Must say really enjoyed the demo, and they seem to have put a good deal of work into optimising the Doom 3 engine, the demo ran much smoother on my machine than Doom 3 or Quake 4. The levels do look very Doom 3-ish, especially things like the doors and panels. Wondering if it is actually possible to make a game with this engine that doesn't look similar to Doom 3

Of course it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Giblet wrote:
    Of course it is.

Examples?

Advertisement