Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally building my Rig = Advice needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The ram is very expensive for a generic 2gig kit

You can get much better ram on Komplett/Ocuk for the same price

Ocuk also have a BFG 7900gt for €289.

I think you can pay OCUK with a cheque or a bank transfer.

I would be more enclined to go AM2 and wait a few weeks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Gnome wrote:
    CPU: Athlon X2 3800

Should I be going for AM2 or 939?

There is no point in not going AM2. But you really should consider Intel's new platform. The E6600 is only slightly more expensive than that 3800 and would give it a fair drubbing!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its €60 more expensive than a X2 3800 ( now ) and they will be unavailable, so that price will rise and at the same time the X2 3800 price will fall and will give him the option of going K8L in the future.......

The 6600 is faster, but a X2 3800 is still an amazing CPU:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ot but did elara not go into liquidation a while back?

conzymaher wrote:
    The 6600 is faster, but a X2 3800 is still an amazing CPU:)

Yes but the man has a budget. If he is a grand to spend and can buy the Core 2 Duo processor without making any major sacrifices he should be advised to do so. There is no doubting thr X2 3800 is an excellent processor but the Core 2 Duo E6600, going by early indications anyway, is considerably better.

So to sum up. You can wait a month and get a better processor for about 15% more than todays prices on the 3800X2 or you will be able to buy the 3800X2 in months time for about 20% less than todays price.

Also, I seriously doubt there will be major shortages. Intel have the largest manufacturing capacity of any semi conductor company in the world. The whole shortage craic is just hype IMO to drive sales and pre-orders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'd say that the Core2Duo chips will be like golddust for the first couple of months. Intel don't have that many fabs dedicated to them yet as far as I know. That and the OEMs will be eating them all up

Intel today guaranteed that OEMs will not have priority over web stores..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I saw a post by Overclockers.co.uk 's head purchasing guy where he was saying how supply is limited enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Well just back from holidays and I've finally been paid so Phase 1 has begun. It hasn't gone exactly to plan but I'm happy. I've avoided the Q-tec and pulled back to a 3800. Case + Mobo are also different.

So far I have the following:

Case: Thermaltake Soprano (Black not silver)
    PSU: OCZ 520w
    Mobo: DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR
    CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+

So any comments or recommendations? Will be going for RAM, HD, DVD RW, Floppy and Keyboard.

Advice so far much appreciated guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

all good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Peter Griffin: Sweeeet.

Advertisement