Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow and Dublin wireless bb

Options
  • 22-06-2006 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm currently argueing with Esat and Eircom over getting bb in dublin. Am getting jerked around like you woldn't believe and unfortunately because it is eircom acting the mickey, moving to another ADSL provider will only delay me getting to the run-around position I am currently in.

Anyways on to the purpose of the email, just wondering if anyone here is playing WoW over wireless from the likes of Irisih Broadband, DigiWeb or Magnet.... Is is playable, how bad is Lagforge ?

Thanks

SC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Been playing since last Nov on Irish BB without any problems though other frequent flyers to this board have reported problems in the past with Irish BB *shrug*

Personally no issues and Ironforge is laggy on any connection in my experience, even a T1 line using a laptop from UCD. Not that I would pilfer a net connection if I happened to be in there or anything, uhm... a friend told me...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Sightly off topic but in my experience the lag in Ironforge is memory related rather than network related. Putting 1.5Gb of memory in a machine really speeds things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SavageCabbage

Evac101 wrote:
    Been playing since last Nov on Irish BB without any problems though other frequent flyers to this board have reported problems in the past with Irish BB *shrug*

Personally no issues and Ironforge is laggy on any connection in my experience, even a T1 line using a laptop from UCD. Not that I would pilfer a net connection if I happened to be in there or anything, uhm... a friend told me...

Cool... Thats what I wanted to hear....
    Can I ask what package you have from them?

On the whole IF thing, a friend was monitoring his games machine and when he entered IF his network b/w went from a few k (outside the gates) to 100k+ (at AH) memory usage was static...

Anyways.. thanks for that... will definately consider if I wanna pay the extra €20 / month.... 30 /month was fine... 50... I gotta think about...

SC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WTF_L2P_n00b

I have a 3meg eircom line operating on a X2 4400+ with one gig of memory and a 7800GTX.

I used to suffer alot of lag in IF and upgrading nothing apart from the memory from 512 to 1 gig fixed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Lagfoge is definity mem related, I can play with my lappy in collge on HeaNet connection and still get lag. Play at home on 2gb ran and 10mb connectin, no lag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I have wireless BB, never gotten lag. Just for the love of gawd please star clear of IBB.

I'm with Magnet myself, but on a business pack of 1mb/1mb contention 1:8. No idea what home wireless is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

In answer to your question I have the Breeze product from IBB (2MB up/down) which, from the posts I've seen over in the Broadband forum seems to be immensely more reliable then Ripwave. That said, a friend in Blanchardstown has been using Ripwave for the last year without any problems (and he's a picky *nix head and programmer - he would crib about any problems he had :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317375

IBB is real hit or miss. Tbh after my perfectly nice BB line of 2mb/2mb went dead overnight they couldn't solve the problem. Getting through to tech support was a joke and when I did eventually I got some bored girl on the other end who really didn't give a ****. If you want to find my original rant in there go ahead.

But to warn you, it's a big pile of crap to sift through. From what I have read here on boards. IBB is the worst BB provider in Ireland.

Kudos if it works for you, when it did for me the speeds were nice with really low latency. However due to the amount of complaints would you not steer clear of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

I used Clearwire out near Blackrock and while not stellar performance was generally reliable and they say they prioritise gaming traffic.

1 or 2 issues over the last 9 months but generally happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SavageCabbage

Thanks for all the feedback...
    Appreciated...

I now have one mamoth task ahead of me...
    Eircom for some as yet unknown reason (not down to line quality) will not give broadband on the phone number I have... Has anyone been in this position before and have any idea of what number I need to call to find out why this is the case?

thanks...

and pity me :->

SC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Eircom for some as yet unknown reason (not down to line quality) will not give broadband on the phone number I have... Has anyone been in this position before and have any idea of what number I need to call to find out why this is the case?

thanks...

and pity me :->

SC

If you currently have ISDN, then Eircom can't give you BB on that line. You first have to downgrade the line from digital to analogue (strange I know) and then you can have BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Not to mention, pay €100 for the pleasure of downgrading and then €100 to upgrade to dsl. You gotta love Eircon :(

*These prices may have changed as its been a while since I was involved in such things...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Bit of a bump here - I have Digiweb Metro, and I play WoW (sounds like an AA meeting ...)

It's BLISTERINGLY fast when it's working right. But when it's not, it's just poo. Like most ISP's really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

wireless is just to upredictable imo, wired bb is infinitly better, as long as you can get it.

was transfer rates does wow use, i remember my other online games didnt need much, the spec says 56k, so really all you need is a few k up and down to have it running do you not?

Advertisement