Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mechanical Engineering

• 22-06-2006 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭

hi, i am going back to college in september to do mechancial engineering, and was just wondering if anyone is doing this at the moment or has done it want to know a bit about the course a bit of hands on info thanks

Em

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Hi Pembily,
    I'm on co-op at the minute as part of the BEng in Mechanical Engineering in U.L. . I did the Cert in Mech Eng in W.I.T. first and transferred into the start of 2nd year of the degree. There's info on the U.L. course here, and the W.I.T. one here.

Any specific questions in mind? Are you thinking about any University/I.T. in particular or just shopping around so to speak?

P.S. Good choice of course btw ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Can vouch for that too - also most the same credentials as above except with CIT and a Dip. - Just finished in UL and working now. Seems to be loads of jobs at the moment in the Mech area (for the forseeable future).

Whats the questions???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Sure you want to do Mechanical? I just finished a BE in electronic engineering and really enjoyed it.

Everyone seems to want to do Civil/Mechanical. Theres loads of jobs for the chemical and electrical engineers because no one seems to want to do it!!

Godd luck with what ever you pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

From what i hear also there are accounting and acutuary firms that hire engineering grads on a regular basis, and there is a grad course in accounting in DCU that takes techinical and business grads. So if you do chosse Mechanical engineering your not exactly limited. Plus mech eng is cooler, clearly :D

I am doing Medical mechanical eng in DCU(3rd yr) and currently on work experience in germany(Dioing automotive stuff) so i have enjoyed it so far! Sure if you have any q's just give me a shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

Get ready for a maths marathon! You do get a slight break from maths.. when you get to do CHEMISTRY woop! woop!

Nah in all seriousness, great course if you like your maths.

• Advertisement

All hail Newton! we're not worthy!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

hotnipples wrote:
    Get ready for a maths marathon! You do get a slight break from maths.. when you get to do CHEMISTRY woop! woop!

Nah in all seriousness, great course if you like your maths.

You wont be able to do a module without seeing dy/dx in some form or another :)

I finished computer-aided mechanical and manufacturing engineering (CAMME) in DCU a couple years ago. Good course but in all honesty probably doesnt have the reputation as say Mech Eng in UCD of TCD. The points to get in to CAMME are quite low. About 300 compared to 450 in UCD. Make of that what you will.

Good luck with your choice. :)

mac_leinn wrote:
    You wont be able to do a module without seeing dy/dx in some form or another :)

I finished computer-aided mechanical and manufacturing engineering (CAMME) in DCU a couple years ago. Good course but in all honesty probably doesnt have the reputation as say Mech Eng in UCD of TCD. The points to get in to CAMME are quite low. About 300 compared to 450 in UCD. Make of that what you will.

Good luck with your choice. :)

Am in medical mechanical there atm, how you find getting job afterwards?

points last yr went up for some mech eng courses in DCU to about 360. But common entry is still quite low. Good thing about DCU is small classes and has recently been accredited to the iei.

Darren1o1 wrote:
    Am in medical mechanical there atm, how you find getting job afterwards?

points last yr went up for some mech eng courses in DCU to about 360. But common entry is still quite low. Good thing about DCU is small classes and has recently been accredited to the iei.

I found it pretty hard to get a job (probably wasnt trying very hard tbh) ended up doing a masters in ucd. Now am doing a phd in ucd. Im one of those eternal students. :D

Have you done work experience in third year yet? I think thats a great idea and will really set you apart from mech eng students from other uni's. Gave me loads to talk about at interviews. Still didnt get a job though. :)

I meet one of my old lecturers a couple of months ago. I believe a few of the courses are being restructured. CAMME is even getting a name change afaik.

I agree about the small classes. There's definitely a better atmosphere than in the big classes.

That reminds me, I must apply to the iei for membership now that camme is accredited.

mac_leinn wrote:
    I found it pretty hard to get a job (probably wasnt trying very hard tbh) ended up doing a masters in ucd. Now am doing a phd in ucd. Im one of those eternal students. :D

Have you done work experience in third year yet? I think thats a great idea and will really set you apart from mech eng students from other uni's. Gave me loads to talk about at interviews. Still didnt get a job though. :)

I meet one of my old lecturers a couple of months ago. I believe a few of the courses are being restructured. CAMME is even getting a name change afaik.

I agree about the small classes. There's definitely a better atmosphere than in the big classes.

That reminds me, I must apply to the iei for membership now that camme is accredited.

Yeah i am currently on INTRA in germany work for a automotive company in research. A place called GKN driveline. Been offered a FYP off them so we'll see how it goes. Few other option in the air an the moment for final yr. think they are mooting the Formula student.

Yeah all them are being changed
    MEDM is changing to biomedical and mechanical eng
    CAM is changing to mech and manufacturing eng
    BME is changing to process eng and business.

How you find the extra study. am considering it myself?

• Advertisement

Darren1o1 wrote:
    Yeah i am currently on INTRA in germany work for a automotive company in research. A place called GKN driveline. Been offered a FYP off them so we'll see how it goes. Few other option in the air an the moment for final yr. think they are mooting the Formula student.

Yeah all them are being changed
    MEDM is changing to biomedical and mechanical eng
    CAM is changing to mech and manufacturing eng
    BME is changing to process eng and business.

How you find the extra study. am considering it myself?

I did a 1 year thaught masters, so that was basically just like 4th year all over again. Very few lectures (only about two hours a day). Its not too hard but you have to put in the work.

Phd is a different kettle of fish altogether. Im 8 months into mine and its very slow starting. Takes a while to get used to it. Still good though. Beats getting a real job. :D

BTW, dont know if this will be of any use to you but here is a list of all FYPs in medm when I was there:
    MEDM FYP 2004
    Might give you a flavour of what to expect. You may already have your list, cant remember when they released the list when I was in DCU.

If you're thinking of doing a research postgrad keep an eye out for when the Irish research councill for science, engineering and technology (IRCSET) start inviting applications to be made (closing date is around mid-april I think.)

Think ircset are pretty hard to get these day. 1,1 pretty much seals the deal but that is easier said than done. What area are you studying in?

Darren1o1 wrote:
    Think ircset are pretty hard to get these day. 1,1 pretty much seals the deal but that is easier said than done.

Not necessarily, I got a first from dcu and was on my way to getting a first in my masters and still didnt get the scholarship. I was left thinking what the hell do I have to do to get a scholarship. Quite a few four leter expletives were uttered when I didnt get it. :)

It made me realise its all about the quality of the waffle you put into you application.

I think Dr. Lisa Looney is head of research in dcu at the moment so she might be a good person to ask to read over any application you make. She should be able to tell you what to say, what not to say, how to say it etc.
    Darren1o1 wrote:
    What area are you studying in?

Im in facture mechanics. Havent a clue about it. Ask me in a few years, I may know something then :D

mac_leinn wrote:
    Im in facture mechanics. Havent a clue about it. Ask me in a few years, I may know something then :D
    hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe:D

We'll see what happens. After next yr will probably never want to set foot in place again! That will be the deciding factor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Darren1o1 wrote:
    Think ircset are pretty hard to get these day. 1,1 pretty much seals the deal but that is easier said than done. What area are you studying in?

Perhaps a 1.1 won't be as necessary anymore with the Government's €3.8 Billion investment in the sciences in order to double the number of PhD students.

Having a 1.1 isn't really the most important thing that the funding bodies such as IRCSET are looking for really since a lot of 1.1 students simply can't do research. The main thing they're looking for is a previous appliaction to research of some sort - possibly from a summer job that involved research or from the STEPS or SFI UREKA summer programmes.

No harm in applying anyway. If possible show lots of enthuasium for your topic!

Perhaps a 1.1 won't be as necessary anymore with the Government's €3.8 Billion investment in the sciences in order to double the number of PhD students.

Having a 1.1 isn't really the most important thing that the funding bodies such as IRCSET are looking for really since a lot of 1.1 students simply can't do research. The main thing they're looking for is a previous appliaction to research of some sort - possibly from a summer job that involved research or from the STEPS or SFI UREKA summer programmes.

No harm in applying anyway. If possible show lots of enthuasium for your topic!

Well am working in germany atm in research and product development in a reputable automotive company so should help. Got a Leonardo da vinci grant for it too so might help. Will see might be following on with a project from the company so might be a way to start(quite interesting work too!). Isn't the money being spread over a large period of time, and i'd imagine a lot of that will be to build infrastructure for 4th level, eg research centres. But is looking good for research in ireland at the moment. Certainly an interesting time.

Advertisement