Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craic Soc "Cancel The Debt" Fundraiser

Options
  • 22-06-2006 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Next Tuesday 27th June in the year of our Lord 2006, UCD’s esteemed Craic Society will be hosting a fundraiser to help pay the (substantial) fines of our battle-weary believers, victims of a witch-hunt by Der College Authorities in September of last year.

The evening’s festivities will begin at 8pm and end sometime in the early morning in Eamon Doran’s of Temple Bar. The entrance fee is a poxy 5 euro and we only get the door until 10pm so don’t be ****ing late. All pints are 3.50, which gives us a good incentive to get drunk, even though efforts to ensure that Bucky would be provided on tap have failed.

The sparkling line-up for the evening includes such prodigious musical talents as The Nippons, Lungo, Junkhausen, and Gavan Flinter, plus many DJs still to be announced. Remember, they probably think you’re **** too.

Patrick Pearse, a little known Craic Soc stalwart himself, probably put our sentiments best when he said,

“They think that they have pacified Craic Soc. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! - they have left us our drunken dead, and while UCD Dublin holds these graves, UCD Dublin unfree shall never be at peace.”

(Disclaimer : May not be actual Patrick Pearse quote. May be adapted from similar quote about Ireland.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What were the fines for, that the money's being raised for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

No offence meant but...eh, pay your own fines tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

no offence but no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Craic_Soc

Hundreds of UCD students were involved but only a few were singled out and fined. Hence the fundraiser.

Craic_Soc wrote:
    Hundreds of UCD students were involved but only a few were singled out and fined. Hence the fundraiser.

Yea but what were they fined for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I dont mean to be a tit but didnt those students break the rules as handed to them on their first day in the back of their student handbook?

Grimes wrote:
    I dont mean to be a tit but didnt those students break the rules as handed to them on their first day in the back of their student handbook?

Exactly.

So yea, instead of trying to dress it up as some kind of "worthy cause" why not ask the members of your society to take responsibility for their actions and pay their own fines instead of expecting others to do it for them?

oh and if this was some "on the knack" drinking escapade where you got all nabbed then perhaps all the members of your society that were there should pitch in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I'll try make it along, Craic Soc is aight by me, and to the rest of you, stop being so mid-fifties!

Ha, they broke the rules! Like OMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

its not that they broke the rules, its that they want us to pay for the fines while dressing it up as an "Us against the world, o the hardship".

That said, id probably still have gone if id a had money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Craic_Soc wrote:

No doubt the ones 'singled out' were the leading figures of the society. I doubt you'd hold a fundraiser for some lowly student who got caught and fined.

As has been said, pay your own fines and leave out the 'witch-hunt' bullsh*t.

• Advertisement

B-K-DzR wrote:
    its not that they broke the rules, its that they want us to pay for the fines while dressing it up as an "Us against the world, o the hardship".

That said, id probably still have gone if id a had money ;)

LOL, wow, calm down. Craic Soc has its tongue clearly in cheek with all this. You all need to lighten up, seriously.

i am calm but thanks for worrying about my stress levels.

Lighten up? maybe. People who dont know craic soc wont know that its tongue in cheek. I also thought that maybe when asked they shoulda answered the questions asked by other folks here rather than trying to skirt around the issue of why they need this fund raising.

scop wrote:
    LOL, wow, calm down. Craic Soc has its tongue clearly in cheek with all this. You all need to lighten up, seriously.

Tongue firmly in cheek yet still asking for money.

If you want my money be honest about it. Like B-K-DzR said, don't dress it up as something its not and don't skirt the issue when directly asked.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    i am calm but thanks for worrying about my stress levels.

Lighten up? maybe. People who dont know craic soc wont know that its tongue in cheek. I also thought that maybe when asked they shoulda answered the questions asked by other folks here rather than trying to skirt around the issue of why they need this fund raising.

I dont think they will be back, I imagine the account was set up just to post that since they know here is quite active.

I just think we should all maybe relax about following rules in UCD, if youve ever been out with Craic Soc youll know they have probably the best times on campus going in the last few years. Its a sad state of affairs to see students fawn over things like rules which stop them drinking on campus, a rule that would be an absurdity in most European Universities, I think it really highlights the meekness of the Irish youth today.

Tongue firmly in cheek yet still asking for money.

If you want my money be honest about it. Like B-K-DzR said, don't dress it up as something its not and don't skirt the issue when directly asked.

Everyone knows what its for, you all worked it out, inferred it. Its not as if its hidden behind layers of disinformation.

scop wrote:
    I dont think they will be back, I imagine the account was set up just to post that since they know here is quite active.

I just think we should all maybe relax about following rules in UCD, if youve ever been out with Craic Soc youll know they have probably the best times on campus going in the last few years. Its a sad state of affairs to see students fawn over things like rules which stop them drinking on campus, a rule that would be an absurdity in most European Universities, I think it really highlights the meekness of the Irish youth today.

I fully agree that the drinking policy in UCD is ridiculous. Since Craic Soc is so against it why don't they try and get the rules changed instead of getting fined and expecting others to pay it?

And you can tell me to lighten up all ya want scop, fact is, a college society looking for money from students, a lot of which probably aren't members of that society, in order to pay for the rule-breaking carried out by their members is a bit rich.

Yes the rule sucks, but it's a rule nonetheless. By not being "meek" CraicSoc managed to get themselves fined "substantially" and forgive me for not wanting to pay for it. Besides Doran's is a hole.
    scop wrote:
    Everyone knows what its for, you all worked it out, inferred it. Its not as if its hidden behind layers of disinformation.

They could have just said...."We got caught rotten drinking where we shouldn't have been and violating <insert specific rule here>"
    instead of referring to it as a witch-hunt.

Meh, whatever. They got caught and should deal with it.

u misunderstand me, i dont mind that they broke the rules. If thats what they wanna do then thats what they do. I just dont feel like personally paying their fines.

yes we here gather what they were fined for but not everyone will realise and some people may go thinking it was for more of a worthy cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So they were fined for drinking on campus?

I fully agree that the drinking policy in UCD is ridiculous. Since Craic Soc is so against it why don't they try and get the rules changed instead of getting fined and expecting others to pay it?

But they arent demaning you go, merely asking likeminded heads to consider it.

DaveMcG wrote:
    So they were fined for drinking on campus?

I imagine so.

• Advertisement

B-K-DzR wrote:
    u misunderstand me, i dont mind that they broke the rules. If thats what they wanna do then thats what they do. I just dont feel like personally paying their fines.

yes we here gather what they were fined for but not everyone will realise and some people may go thinking it was for more of a worthy cause.

Fair enough, I just dont imagien anybody would actually think that from their post, plus their rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

scop wrote:

I couldn't agree more, I realise that it's the feeling that they are trying to evoke sympathy that's annoying people but still the drinking rules in ucd are disgusting, in dunleary college the college organises drinking events like the ones craic soc are being persecuted for, it's outrageous. The event in question wasn't destructive or intrusive it's just the case of this college being typically oppressive, something the boardsies who went to sebs shaving will have experienced, getting in nobodys way but being persecuted, really pisses me off.

scop wrote:
    But they arent demaning you go, merely asking likeminded heads to consider it.

I never said they were demanding. Myself and others said no, gave our reasons why and then got told to lighten up by your good self. Now we are merely voicing our point of view just like you did.

*shrug*

humbert wrote:
    the drinking rules in ucd are disgusting, in dunleary college the college organises drinking events like the ones craic soc are being persecuted for, it's outrageous.

I fully agree. I just think that instead of going out and getting themselves fined financially Craic Soc should try and get the rules changed. God knows they would get a hell of a lot of support from the student population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

*shrug*

Exactly. Who the hell cares? Really?

I fully agree. I just think that instead of going out and getting themselves fined financially Craic Soc should try and get the rules changed. God knows they would get a hell of a lot of support from the student population.

Yea I do hope some soc tries to do that next year but I've a feeling they have been treated very harshly for what is just a little harmless get togethere on campus, made an example of so to speak, they really have organised some great events in the past, most of them infringing upon the rules, so they have my sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I can't believe there's an actual argument going on about this!
    Heck, any of us could have gotten a similar fine (seriously hands up who hasn't been drinking on campus).

I'll be there (with bells on) provided my credit card comes before Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can't believe there's an actual argument going on about this!
    Heck, any of us could have gotten a similar fine (seriously hands up who hasn't been drinking on campus).

/raises hand

And I can assure you if I was fined, I wouldn't go running to others to pay it off.

/raises hand

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

Am I right in assuming that craic soc are an unofficial society? If so they organised many events, yes of their own accord, but which everyone was grateful for and enjoyed. On that last one the college decided to come down hard on them and as they are an unofficial society it is up to the students in charge to pay the fine. So they organised an event, a social event, the likes of which all of us have been to before with no such incentive, to help them pay the fine and have a good night too. This attitude, you’ve gotten caught and should go and deal with it on your own, is a pile of shit, go or don’t go but in principle there is nothing wrong with it. The college authorities are the bad guys here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement