Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craic Soc "Cancel The Debt" Fundraiser

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

*also raises hand*
    *admits they've been to the campus bars maybe 3 times in the past year too*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

As i said before its the attitude that bugs me rather than the fact that they broke the "rules". Them rules suck but we all know they are there.

If they'd said, we organising a a lil fundraising to pay off fines we got for doing x,y,z then i'd have had no probs. They organise a night out which is relatively cheap, live music and they use the proceeds to help themselves out. Everyone wins.

Instead they try to pass it off (tongue in cheek or not) as some sort of charity event (by charity i mean none self profiting) and when asked why its being organised we aint told, which leads me to believe a slight mis-direction was being attempted. That is what i didnt like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

We all know the rules and like them we've all broken them. I would resent the lack of information if the post was trying to evoke sympathy, it's not, it simply says the event is to try and pay off a fine(for an event craic soc held, work it out).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

I wouldnt ask others to pay my fines. Especially using a self righteous attitude.
    Im sorry humbert but we just gonna have to disagree on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Love the name of this thread..'cancel the debt':D You should make some of those white wristbandy things with craic soc on them and sell them for a euro outside eamon dorans.And while your at it get Bono and Bob Geldof on the case too!
    I like craic soc and what they stand for and think the fundraiser is a great idea. Unfortunatly since its run by a bunch of leftys who hate me I think il be washing my hair and painting my toenails that night...good luck anyway guys!!

p.s never heared of any of those bands that are playing...will there be any pop music at it,humbert wants to know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Craic_Soc

Ehhhhh....

I haven't checked this thread since a few mins after I posted it so I will try to answer all questions now.

1. A number of people were picked out by the college authorities and designated as "ringleaders". There was video footage of them drinking cans on campus, along with many other students. However, only a very small number of people were fined, quite harshly. One was also banned from all campus bars for the rest of his time here in UCD.

2. Craic Soc is not an official society. We have no members as such. Anyone who wants to have the craic is de facto a member. Therefore we can't send out on any mailing list or anything like that asking for money from our "members". All we can do is appeal to the general populace of UCD, many of whom were involved in or support our activities, to help a few ordinary students pay off a ridiculous fine that many were equally involved in.

3. Craic Soc is not an official society. If anyone went to the college to "try and change the rules" announcing that they were a member of Craic Soc, it is very likely that they would be thrown out of college. One person nearly was for his involvement at the last hooley.

4. I think it was clear from the post that nobody was trying to deceive anyone. Craic Soc events are synonomous with can-drinking. It's not that hard to figure out.

5. The people who got fined are not the only people organising this event. The idea came from their friends who see that it is wholly unfair what happened to them, considering everyone else was doing the same thing, and considering we were only after a bit of harmless craic. As has been pointed out by other posters, UCD is quite draconian in terms of its drinking "laws".

6. Bottom line - Come if you want to come. Don't if you don't.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ok, as far as I am concerned, Craic Soc is a degenerate and illegal society. Both within the rules in UCD, but also under national laws. I don't think it's wise for me to allow this thread to go on for very long because it's fairly well established at this point that the college authorities read this forum.

Aside from that, I banned someone for advertising here recently, and I don't operate on double standards. So, Craic_Soc banned indefinitely from this forum. If you re-register to bypass the ban, you will have both accounts permanently site-banned.

If you want to advertise on boards.ie, pay for it, but do not presume to take advantage of this free site for your own economic gains.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement