Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bleeding wireless

• 22-06-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Righteo chaps. I got me a new computer yesterday and decided to give ubuntu 6.06 a shot. I bought the CNet cwp-854 as on komplett is said it worked with linux.

However when i boot up linux i have no wireless. I checked the device manager and it notices there is a pci card just not what it does.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

thanks

EDIT: i have googled and followed a tutorial to no avail

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

let me do a lookup of that wireless card see what chipset it runs under
    that card does work, its under the Ralink chipset. Take a look in the Networking Settings configure your card with your SSID and the password and press activate, and it should be online. Mine has the same chipset and worked that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

the card isn't showing up in netwrok settings :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There's a nice ndiswrapper frontend for ubuntu. It allows you to use the windows drivers.

You need an internet connection for this: in synaptic install ndiswrapper-utils and ndisgtk. Then go to system->admin->windows wireless drivers. You just point this at your windows drivers and presto! Instant wireless. :)

thanks problem is i am unable to get even cabled internet to this pc, so that isn;t going to work. thing is the wireless card should work in linux :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

er, I have this wireless card and it's working great on Ubuntu 6.06 out of the box.

These guys maintain the driver. On other (less user-friendly/modern) distros I'd have to compile it myself but Ubuntu 6.06 has it by default.

In System > Administration > Networking there should be a "Wireless connection" listed. If not, open Applications > Accessories > Terminal and run "sudo modprobe rt2500", enter the root password and go back to the Networking settings... If that works, then there's something wrong with the default HAL config.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

(Or the card isn't seated properly. It happens.)

declan_lgs wrote:
    er, I have this wireless card and it's working great on Ubuntu 6.06 out of the box.

These guys maintain the driver. On other (less user-friendly/modern) distros I'd have to compile it myself but Ubuntu 6.06 has it by default.

In System > Administration > Networking there should be a "Wireless connection" listed. If not, open Applications > Accessories > Terminal and run "sudo modprobe rt2500", enter the root password and go back to the Networking settings... If that works, then there's something wrong with the default HAL config.
    ah that worked thank you

however i did an update and restarted and now when it loads ot freezes at the configuring network devices :/ that is to say it leaves the graphical part and just stays at the command line saying configuring netwrok devices. anyway to fix this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

ah that worked thank you

however i did an update and restarted and now when it loads ot freezes at the configuring network devices :/ that is to say it leaves the graphical part and just stays at the command line saying configuring netwrok devices. anyway to fix this?
    This happens on my laptop whenever I'm out of range of the router or the router does its usual "Please-turn-me-off-and-on-again-cos-I'm-being-a-pain-in-the-arse" malarky...

Could be either you're too far away from the router, the router's being finniky or you've entered your WEP key wrong

I've found that KDE has a very nice wireless search interface and should go automatically onto any network on its list in range. You could try Kubuntu

could the fact that i stupidly set up my stativ ip to be 192.168.0.300 be it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That'll do it. :)

worst thing is in trying to fix it all i broke grub and had to reformat it all as was too lazy to work at it

thanks though

/tries ubuntu again

heh

i renistalled. ensured that the ip was less than 254(this time)

same problem is occuring it hangs at the configuring netwrok devices :/

stupid linux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Part of the problem you see is that some of the manufacturers of wireless cards won't release info to the linux world , so you need a wrapper to use the windows drivers with it.As you can imagine this is not an ideal solution.Wireless actually works really well with linux tbh.
    Maybe try debian, since ubuntu is just butchered debian anyway?

if you had read the thread he doesnt need a wifi driver from a windows file as it is a ralink 2500 chipset which works out of the box on ubuntu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

heh

i renistalled. ensured that the ip was less than 254(this time)

same problem is occuring it hangs at the configuring netwrok devices :/

stupid linux
    NO U

modprobe rt2500

iwconfig whatever whatever whatever.
    ifconfig stuff and more stuff

Advertisement