Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great forgotten songs

Options
  • 22-06-2006 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

There are some great one-off toons that seem to just disappear off the face of the earth. Anyone know or remember I'm in Love With a German Film Star by The Passions from 1981? Cracking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

you just dont hear Mambo No. 5 enough anymore either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

i suppose all the one-hit wonders are the 'great forgotten songs', but i could never stand that 'mambo no5'

what about a bit of 'how bizzare' by OMC? that was a great number......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Dire Straits- Brothers in arms

nobody seems to know of it tho its a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

One of my all time favs. Used to great effect in the west wing at the end of the...1st or 2nd season. Also in Spy Game with Brad Pitt and Rob Redford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

you just dont hear Mambo No. 5 enough anymore either

Im going to hunt you down. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

i suppose all the one-hit wonders are the 'great forgotten songs', but i could never stand that 'mambo no5'

what about a bit of 'how bizzare' by OMC? that was a great number......

I'm afraid I'm going to have to respond to that by saying "1996 was a vile year for awful one-hit wonders - Breakfast at Tiffany's, Macarena, Lemon Tree" and yes, How Bizarre. Sorry :o. Also that God-awful You're Gorgeous by Baby Twat. I know it was popular in the indie world (God help us) but would have been treated as a one-hit wonder in the mainstream charts. Horrible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

The released a de-lux version quite recently . All the reviews basically said it dated really baddly and how it sounds quite bad as a result. NIN first album sounds pretty dated to but I still like it but to a new ear it would be dismissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lexxy

Listen to To Be With You (LP Version) by Mr. Big : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/12064743

this is my jam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

The Golden Horde - Friends In Time.. Man that's old now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Dudess wrote:
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to respond to that by saying "1996 was a vile year for awful one-hit wonders - Breakfast at Tiffany's, Macarena, Lemon Tree" and yes, How Bizarre. Sorry :o. Also that God-awful You're Gorgeous by Baby Twat. I know it was popular in the indie world (God help us) but would have been treated as a one-hit wonder in the mainstream charts. Horrible stuff.

You forgot about MMMBop! :eek:

What a year it was...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

All of that musical gold crammed into one year? Those really were the days...

I'm afraid I'm going to have to correct you, Closing Doors. Mmmbop was actually out in '97. I'm afraid I am one of those annoying freaks who remembers exact years. Maybe it was out in the States in '96 but it was definitely out this side of the Atlantic in '97 - March or thereabouts. Yeah I'm a loser - I even remember months. :rolleyes: You were close though! And you're certainly right to think that it's one hell of a horrid, horrid song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

I had a deadly song to reminisce about, but I can't remember what it was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

check out these lesser known nuggets

michael franti & spearhead - oh my god

the sounds - song with a mission

the shins - caring is creepy

jamie lidell - multiply

sons and daughters - dance me in

jona lewie - you'll always find me in the kitchen at parties

---
    enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

physcho killer - talking heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Dudess wrote:
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to correct you, Closing Doors. Mmmbop was actually out in '97. I'm afraid I am one of those annoying freaks who remembers exact years. Maybe it was out in the States in '96 but it was definitely out this side of the Atlantic in '97 - March or thereabouts. Yeah I'm a loser - I even remember months. :rolleyes: You were close though! And you're certainly right to think that it's one hell of a horrid, horrid song!

Silly me :D

I could have sworn it was out at the same time as How Bizarre, but now that I think about it it was 97...and it wasn't horrid it was a classic :p

You have so many relationships in this life
    Only one or two will last
    You're going through all this pain and strife
    Then you turn your back and they're gone so fast
    And they're gone so fast
    So hold on the ones who really care
    In the end they'll be the only ones there
    When you get old and start losing your hair
    Can you tell me who will still care
    Can you tell me who will still care
    Mmm bop, ba duba dop
    Ba du bop, ba duba dop
    Ba du bop, ba duba dop
    Ba du
    Mmm bop, ba duba dop
    Ba du bop, ba du dop
    Ba du bop, ba du dop
    Ba du
    Plant a seed, plant a flower, plant a rose
    You can plant any one of those
    Keep planting to find out which one grows
    It's a secret no one knows
    It's a secret no one knows

(repeat chorus)

In an mmm bop they're gone.
    In an mmm bop they're not there.
    In an mmm bop they're gone.
    In an mmm bop they're not there.
    Until you lose your hair. but you don't care.

(repeat chorus)

Can you tell me? you say you can but you don't know.
    Can you tell me which flower's going to grow?
    Can you tell me if it's going to be a daisy or a rose?
    Can you tell me which flower's going to grow?
    Can you tell me? you say you can but you don't know.

DeLaBass wrote:
    jona lewie - you'll always find me in the kitchen at parties

Oh yeah, that's class! The First Picture of You by The Lotus Eaters is great as well. As is Don't Call Me Baby by Voice of the Beehive. And remember Rush Hour by Jane Wiedlin? She was in The Go Gos with Belinda Carlisle before that. Brilliant song. I've a bit of a thing for Driving Away From Home by It's Immaterial as well - well parts of it are lame but parts of it are damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Dudess wrote:
    Oh yeah, that's class! The First Picture of You by The Lotus Eaters is great as well. As is Don't Call Me Baby by Voice of the Beehive. And remember Rush Hour by Jane Wiedlin? She was in The Go Gos with Belinda Carlisle before that. Brilliant song. I've a bit of a thing for Driving Away From Home by It's Immaterial as well - well parts of it are lame but parts of it are damn good!

"The First Picture of You, The First Picture of Summer" !

Have it on one of my 80's CDs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

DeLaBass wrote:
    sons and daughters - dance me in

"Dance Me In" is a great song, but it's hardly a great forgotten song, it was just less well known than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Boys, boys, boys ---Sabrina. Well, the video was class !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

odhran wrote:
    "Dance Me In" is a great song, but it's hardly a great forgotten song, it was just less well known than others.

i know!
    delabass wrote:
    check out these lesser known nuggets

:D

Advertisement