Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord lets himself into our house

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

hmmm wrote:
    - finally, if the landlord did not follow the above I would refuse him access.

But since the landlord has a key to your home, if he decides to let himself in to your place when you're not around, what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'd be surprised if the guards would all that interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Afuera wrote:
    But since the landlord has a key to your home, if he decides to let himself in to your place when you're not around, what can you do?
    Same as if someone wandering the street decided to let himself into your house. That's why I find the changing locks provisions in the most recent legislation extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

hmmm wrote:
    Same as if someone wandering the street decided to let himself into your house. That's why I find the changing locks provisions in the most recent legislation extraordinary.
    What is extraordinary about it? A landlord has the right to access his property and more importantly the tenant has no right to alter a property without permission. It isn't a new provision either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

eth0_ wrote:
    There's four of us sharing a house here in the city centre. The rent is cheap but the landlord is AWFUL.

The bath upstairs was leaking for six months before he got someone in to fix it (and had to put in a new bathroom because the water damage was so bad due to his laziness in fixing it).

He also lets himself into the house whenever he likes. On several occasions he has been in the house with the plumber, replacing radiators etc, and has unlocked our bedroom doors.

He never gives ANY notice he is going to be in the house.

Yesterday he arrived unannounced with a joiner to put in a new floor in my housemates room (because there was damp, which he again hadn't bothered fixing until it got really bad). He walked in before 9am and she was still in bed!

He never apologised. He said the joiner would be back on FRIDAY to complete the work, but this was a total lie as the two of them showed up this morning again.

We have contacted Threshold and they are useless.

Me and the girl I mentioned are both planning on moving out next month but would like to get the b*stard.

Have you tried saying it to the landlord that you dont ant him coming unannounced and that you are entitled to some notice? if not then there is no point in contacting threshold and the like. talk to your landlord and explain the situation. sounds to me like you just want to get one over on the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What is extraordinary about it? A landlord has the right to access his property and more importantly the tenant has no right to alter a property without permission. It isn't a new provision either.
    We're going around in circles here. A landlord does not have a general right to enter a property whenever they please, and does have to seek permission from tenants. Personally if I was in a situation where a landlord let himself in whenever he liked I would firstly find somewhere else to live, or if I really wanted to get into it I would deliver a solicitors letter followed by a civil action if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Theres this fantasy world, then theres the real world...

Advertisement