Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle applic

Options
  • 22-06-2006 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Have my letters(2). Still waiting on the dealer to get my rifle in stock so he can give me the serial number, wanted to apply like two weeks ago but thats how it goes. Going to ring him tomorrow to see whats the story, he said hed ordered it the day after i picked up my O/U, that was the 10th of this month!!

Hopefully ill be able to apply this weekend, although reading the CJB thread im getting a bit disheartened about the whole thing!!!! Guess the guards/minister are winning eh??:(

Anywho ill let ye know how it goes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Under what sercumstances are you allowed to have a rifle??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

chris, from section four of the firearms act:
    Before granting a firearm certificate to any person under this Act the superintendent of the Gárda Síochána or the Minister (as the case may require) shall be satisfied that such person—

( a ) has a good reason for requiring the firearm in respect of which the certificate is applied for, and

( b ) can be permitted to have in his possession, use, and carry a firearm or ammunition without danger to the public safety or to the peace, and

( c ) is not a person declared by this Act to be disentitled to hold a firearm certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

newby.204 wrote:
    Have my letters(2). Still waiting on the dealer to get my rifle in stock so he can give me the serial number, wanted to apply like two weeks ago but thats how it goes. Going to ring him tomorrow to see whats the story, he said hed ordered it the day after i picked up my O/U, that was the 10th of this month!!

Hopefully ill be able to apply this weekend, although reading the CJB thread im getting a bit disheartened about the whole thing!!!! Guess the guards/minister are winning eh??:(

Anywho ill let ye know how it goes!

If you put down a cash deposit on your rifle, that's supposing you want to, your dealer should be able ring his supplier and get a serial number for you. I ordered my rifle on the 4th ish of may, it's still not in the shop, but I have the number as I put money down.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

johngalway wrote:
    If you put down a cash deposit on your rifle, that's supposing you want to, your dealer should be able ring his supplier and get a serial number for you. I ordered my rifle on the 4th ish of may, it's still not in the shop, but I have the number as I put money down.

John

I have money down on it, however its what was left on the value of my trade in!!! Im ringing him this morning! He said he doesnt give out serials like that in case, not that it would happen, the wrong rifle arrives into his shop and ive to go changing my applic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

newby.204 wrote:
    I have money down on it, however its what was left on the value of my trade in!!! Im ringing him this morning! He said he doesnt give out serials like that in case, not that it would happen, the wrong rifle arrives into his shop and ive to go changing my applic!!

Dont mind about the s/n no. it can be crossed out and rubber stamped by the guard - as long as the initial cert does not conflict with the actual rifle purchased. Ahhhh.... Guard its actually called an Avtomat Kalashnikova...sorry bout that Guard;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Numbers can get confused in conversation or translation.Had that problem myself.Outcome depends on how au-fait your FAO is with regulations.
    If he knows his stuff all ok if not quote Section 11 of 1964 Firearms Act.

Rang shop today, the dealer doesnt even have them in stock yet, i have to wait till dealer gets them and then the shop, im lookin at 3 weeks till i get the serial number:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

newby.204 wrote:
    Rang shop today, the dealer doesnt even have them in stock yet, i have to wait till dealer gets them and then the shop, im lookin at 3 weeks till i get the serial number:mad:

Took me 1 day short of 6 weeks to get serial number, not even sure if the rifle is in the shop yet tbh. Hope to apply monday, although my local garda reckoned I'd be better off applying mid July...... .... Going to have another chat with him on monday.

John

It will be about six weeks since i put the deposit down that ill get the serial too!!!!, He said hed ring and get the serial number when its with the dealer, and then get it in when my licence comes through!!!!!

Advertisement