Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Live in D6 and Can't Get Broadband

• 22-06-2006 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

I moved to a new address in D6 about 2 months ago and I've mentioned my BB problems in a few other posts. It now appears I cannot get BB at all. That is right. I live in a fairly central location in Ireland's capital and cannot get broadband. I have tried:

IBB
    Smart
    NTL
    Digiweb
    Eircom

The IBB modem I got couldn't get an AM radio signal from my place let alone an internet connection. Smart and NTL said they don't do BB in my area yet. Digiweb came out to set up a wireless internet connection but couldn't get a signal at my place because of the 5 storey apartment buildings behind us. I then went back to Eircom and jumped ship to Imagine as soon as I got my Eircom account number. Now Imagine tell me they can't provide BB to my address because Eircom haven't provided it yet which would mean that any other Eircom piggybacking company wouldn't be able to provide it either. Anybody got any ideas as to how I could get broadband?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you only recently got the phone line in, eircom's monthly test has probably not been run yet. You can check when it was last run on netsource.ie's line checker. If there's no date, then it hasn't run. If there's a date and a fail, then your line is not suitable, but that's unlikely in D6.

You can get Clearwire in D6 I would think, but it's a service with a lot of limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Thanks for the link. Netsource.ie says "Test results not currently available." Not only did we recently get the phone line in, there wasn't a working phone line at our place for the past five years. The technician had to go over all the wiring from our place to the exchange more than once to get it working again.

I don't think I'll be trying any wireless BB services at my address ever again since IBB and Digiweb wouldn't work there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If your modem does not currently connect at 44k-46k I would not hold out much hope for DSL either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

if the line has been freshly maintained DSL should be fine within a few weeks. JJ try BT, Magnet, Perlico, Cinergi.

My computer worked fine with Eircom BB at my old address. I'm already signed up with Imagine and all the other companies above as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) piggyback on Eircom's phone lines just like Imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

JJ wrote:
    Thanks for the link. Netsource.ie says "Test results not currently available."
    I tried the Netsource test yesterday against a number of different numbers that are on broadband enabled exchanges in Dublin (some of the numbers already have BB) and every single test came back with "Test results not currently available."

I think the Netsource tester must be on it's summer holidays at the moment.

I've checked with Eircom and they confirmed that there hasn't been a line test yet but there should be one soonish. Imagine made it sound like there may not be BB at my address for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Id say you will be OK once your line is tested. I had the same problem last year, the two phone lines coming into our house are ISDN lines, and at the time eircom wanted a crap load of money to take it out and install BB, so it was cheaper to get another line in just for the BB.
    1 month it took to pass the test, then I could have BB.

Advertisement