Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Doesnt Merit a Thread Thread

Options
  • 22-06-2006 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭

ok bear with me a second......

i initally wanted to ask what stuff to the left of thread titles in the forum mean, like the grumpy faces and the different coloured envelopes. when i put the mouse over them, nothing happens and it was just bugging me.
    and as i rarely stray from this forum on boards.ie, i didnt want to go looking in after-hours or somewhere.
    but i also didnt think this question warrented a thread of its own.

so i got to thinking, and thought whats needed is a thread for random questions/ramblings/ideas and stuff, where everyone in the donegal forum could drop in, and talk about whatever the flavour of the day is. And reminded of recent events, it could be a place where it would be really difficult to go off-topic cos there is no central topic.

so i begin....... feel free to answer my question, ask one yourself, or launch a personal attack on whoever (i kid, i kid!!!:D )

and mods, if this sounds like the biggest pile of crap ever, feel free to send it to that big recycle bin in the sky....

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If the envelope is closed, it means you've read it (usually).

If the envelope is open, it means that new posts have been posted since you last logged in. Then, the red envelopes appear when posts exceed a page (ie Hot topic).

Also, an envelope with an arrow over it means you've posted in the thread before.

On threads with replies since your last visit, you'll see a wee down arrow to the left of the Thread title. This takes you to the posts that were made since you last logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tall Tom

retalivity wrote:
    ok bear with me a second......

i initally wanted to ask what stuff to the left of thread titles in the forum mean, like the grumpy faces and the different coloured envelopes. when i put the mouse over them, nothing happens and it was just bugging me.
    and as i rarely stray from this forum on boards.ie, i didnt want to go looking in after-hours or somewhere.
    but i also didnt think this question warrented a thread of its own.

so i got to thinking, and thought whats needed is a thread for random questions/ramblings/ideas and stuff, where everyone in the donegal forum could drop in, and talk about whatever the flavour of the day is. And reminded of recent events, it could be a place where it would be really difficult to go off-topic cos there is no central topic.

so i begin....... feel free to answer my question, ask one yourself, or launch a personal attack on whoever (i kid, i kid!!!:D )

and mods, if this sounds like the biggest pile of crap ever, feel free to send it to that big recycle bin in the sky....

The "faces' reflect the mood of the posted when they created the thead.

As for the envelopes, they turn red when 10 or more replies are in that thread (to siginify that it is a hot topic). The curved arrow signifies that you posted in that thread.

Tall Tom wrote:
    The "faces' reflect the mood of the posted when they created the thead.

As for the envelopes, they turn red when 10 or more replies are in that thread (to siginify that it is a hot topic). The curved arrow signifies that you posted in that thread.

Nice one Byte. I replied around the same time you did, but didn't click the submit button right away for I was distracted here at work. :D

byte

:)

Though you were right regarding the red envelope, its for threads with over 10 posts, not when they exceed a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

cheers guys,

soooooooooo........

i wish it would stop raining

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote:
    cheers guys,

soooooooooo........

i wish it would stop raining

Post it over to me. Right now, it's 35*C and humid as all hell. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right folks. I'm not entirely convinced that this thread is in the best interest of the North West forum. If you have something in particular that you wish to debate or make comment on then simply open a new thread.

I can see this turning into nothing more than a chat room with mutual friends talking/posting between themselves with everyone else wondering what the hell are they on about. If chat is needed then there are plenty of places for it and instant messaging was created just for that purpose.

What I am going to do is lock this for the time being and have a think about it.

Dont worry, I will let you know my decision ;)

As a couple of the regulars have posted here Im allowing this thread to stay open but I am going to keep a good eye on it.

I doubt this thread is going to stay open for long, but I have to say that after I posted my weather reply, our local weather guy has commented that we could see up to 5 inches of rain this weekend. Time for me to whip out my Welly's. :eek:

A city guy walking into a pub wearing Welly's. I can only imagine the looks on their faces. :D

Take care and stay dry,
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

tall tom, you got welly's in philly, now they have to be the black/green ones anything other than that is just not right :)

So what is your connection with North West, sorry off thread please go easy on me muffler.

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    tall tom, you got welly's in philly, now they have to be the black/green ones anything other than that is just not right :)

So what is your connection with North West, sorry off thread please go easy on me muffler.

My mother was born and raised outside of Ardara (closer to Rosbeg actually). I spent may a summers as a child on the farms there and always had a pair of green/beige Welly's stashed under the stairs waiting for me. My uncles put me to work on every visit. I am probably one of the very few city boys who knows how to milk a cow or knows what free range eggs are.:D

ok i just realised the answer to my initial question was at the bottum of the forum index.

i am teh dumb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Tall Tom wrote:
    My mother was born and raised outside of Ardara (closer to Rosbeg actually). I spent may a summers as a child on the farms there and always had a pair of green/beige Welly's stashed under the stairs waiting for me. My uncles put me to work on every visit. I am probably one of the very few city boys who knows how to milk a cow or knows what free range eggs are.:D
    Free range eggs are the only kinds I'll buy! Better for you, better for the chicken. :)

Tall Tom wrote:
    Post it over to me. Right now, it's 35*C and humid as all hell. :(

Great, I opened my big mouth asking to have the rain sent over here and now we have flooding. I believe we have had 5+ inches of rain and a lot more expected in the next couple of days. :(

byte

Tall Tom wrote:
    Great, I opened my big mouth asking to have the rain sent over here and now we have flooding. I believe we have had 5+ inches of rain and a lot more expected in the next couple of days. :(
    And, in a funny twist, the weather has been great the past few days! :D

byte wrote:
    And, in a funny twist, the weather has been great the past few days! :D

D'oh! :eek:

Enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This thread remains open. Good. I can now talk sh*te. What a lovely day. I'm going out for a drive now and will be pointing my finger at all the boy racers I meet and shouting obscenities at them. Things like: oooohhhhhh, I wish I could drive like you, those little blue lights are really improving your pulling power and that big spoiler really turns the women on.

byte

smashey wrote:
    This thread remains open. Good. I can now talk sh*te. What a lovely day. I'm going out for a drive now and will be pointing my finger at all the boy racers I meet and shouting obscenities at them. Things like: oooohhhhhh, I wish I could drive like you, those little blue lights are really improving your pulling power and that big spoiler really turns the women on.
    ROFL! :D

I like your style! :)

ok whats goin on? how did i end up with 1268 posts?
    <=
    last time i checked i was around 60-70

byte

Some admins are messing with the post counts. I had a few thousand.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054960210

• Advertisement

Spare a thought for nanook - he has taken a big hit :D

Anyone looking for other sufferers can have a look here

byte

I've taken a fair hit myself, losing nearly 6,500 posts! LOL :D

bah too much reading.

so i get +1200 post points cos im such an integral part of this forum?
    I like this game..... :)

byte

It looks like the game is over! :)

Maybe not. I'm building up to a good rant. Watch this space.

byte

Ooh, should I get the popcorn ready? :)

As I see it smashey has just 18 days left to rant and after thats he's going to be under the preverbial

muffler wrote:
    As I see it smashey has just 18 days left to rant and after thats he's going to be under the preverbial

You learned how to read since Saturday then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

muffler wrote:
    Spare a thought for nanook - he has taken a big hit :D

Anyone looking for other sufferers can have a look here

someone explain this to me, muffler you mentioned this on the mods forum and i am still in the dark.

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    someone explain this to me, muffler you mentioned this on the mods forum and i am still in the dark.
    nanook, you were edging towards that milestone of 1000 posts and bang...............you went away down in the post count :)

Advertisement