Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new windows install onto an ata drive help needed

• 22-06-2006 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

cannot get windows to recognise my ata controler ( promise376) - i have the correct drivers and at the start of the installation i hit f6 followed by 'S' to setup the drivers and all seems to work fine - windows even starts to format the drive for me but at the end of the format it asks me to put the disk labled "Promise FastTrak TX 2100 Family Driver Diskette" into drive A !! and hit enter - i have scoured the internet looking for anything which might help and i am now at a dead loss - has anyone any ideas - i am puzzled for 3 reasons mainly - why is the label so long - why would it need the drivers again - how would it have been able to do a format on the drive if the drivers hadn't been working in the first place?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Have you more than 1 SATA drive installed/connected?
    If so disconnect the one you don't want to install windows on.
    If you still have a problem disable RAID in the BIOS aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

thanks - tried those - neither worked

i am a bit confused - the ata controler is the same as the raid controler (ie it's called the sata/raid controler ) - but i dont need raid at all - i just want two hard drives - in fact i just need one first - so when i turned off raid in the bios the drive didnt appear any more in the windows setup

but the mobo ( asus p4s8x ) manual says nothing about using 1 hard drive - and nothing at all about using the sata for anything other than raid arrays. i'm beginning to wonder if it is even possible to do this -- do you know ??

also i dont understand do the drives need to be jumpered to master slave or not - one of the ports is marked primary on the mobo and that's all i'm going by?

lastly i have this thing called fasttrack that i get into at the very start after post by hitting crtl-f and it's for setting up raid arrays and if i dont have the drive setup in there somehow then it doesnt appear either

thanks - tried those - neither worked

i am a bit confused - the ata controler is the same as the raid controler (ie it's called the sata/raid controler ) - but i dont need raid at all - i just want two hard drives - in fact i just need one first - so when i turned off raid in the bios the drive didnt appear any more in the windows setup

but the mobo ( asus p4s8x ) manual says nothing about using 1 hard drive - and nothing at all about using the sata for anything other than raid arrays. i'm beginning to wonder if it is even possible to do this -- do you know ??

also i dont understand do the drives need to be jumpered to master slave or not - one of the ports is marked primary on the mobo and that's all i'm going by?

lastly i have this thing called fasttrack that i get into at the very start after post by hitting crtl-f and it's for setting up raid arrays and if i dont have the drive setup in there somehow then it doesnt appear either

thanks for helping me out

sorry for double posting - anyway after hours and hours of trying everything i finally discovered that there was some kind of error in the drivers which i got with the motherboard even though they had allowed me to use an sata drive for storage the error only occurred when i tried to install an op sys on it - so i just picked a set of new drivers at random from the 20 or so on driverguide and it worked and im not asking any more questions - hindsight is a great thing !!

ps still had to define the raid arrays though (to get windows to see the drives) even though i'm not using them ?

thanks again

Advertisement