Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Ram for o'c

Options
  • 22-06-2006 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

been looking around and found this RAM http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/TWINX1024-4400C25.pdf

How would it perform with an opteron 170 and a DFI expert and artic cooling pro HSF. Im just wondering because it says 4400 instead of 3200 but says amd support it for overclocking of course, thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Conzymahor get in here quick i just saw your sig and like your ram :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How much bandwidth do you want?

Ocz are great overclockers for above thier stated bandwidth. If you dont want much Ocz pc4000 gold Vx, these run at 250mhz @ 2.3.3.6.

The corsair ram will do 275 but not much more.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Psycopat wrote:
    Conzymahor get in here quick i just saw your sig and like your ram :D

:D

The ballistix do kick ass but i got them cause of their bang for buck ratio:D

TCCD is better if you want high clocks....

Also I am assuming you want a 2* 1gb kit and Crucial stopped making 2gb kits because "they wanted to focus on DDR2 technology" but really they were just dieing to much and the RMAs nearly broke them.......

Anyway, The 2 gb kits dont clock as high as the 1gb kits :(

The OCZ platinium rev 2 1 gig kit in my dad's PC does DDR600 but I doubt you would get that much out of the 2gig kit.....

Look out for Gskill ram on overclockers.co.uk they had a very overclockable PC4000 2gb kit but they seem to be out of stock :(

And the 170 will fly with the DFI board ;)

And seen as it has a multi of 10, and you will proably get it to 2.6 to 2.8ghz, you dont need ram capable of DDR600......

Thanks for the replies, ill probably go for 2 512mb sticks of ram and want to get a nice speed out of em, ill always have the option to upgrade to 2gb, ill get the stuff of overclockers so what would you recomend around the 200 euro mark?

EDIT also will i get thernal paste?

Nope, the freezer 64 pro comes pre-applied with MX-1.

DO NOT remove the MX-1 paste, its the best paster for the freezer...

Anyway, im not sure what ram to get:confused: I havent been looking at ram lately, its not as exciting as watching intel/amd nvidia/ati battle it out:D

OCZ platinium rev2 is great :)

But I think you should go for 2gigs as it will be neccesary soon, and you will need it for multitasking with the dualcore CPU, if you want to play a game while running something in the background.....

Just look on google for some reviews of the ram that OCUK have, Like I said you dont need uber high speed ram, you can always use the dreaded divider:eek: :D

• Advertisement

Haha the dreaded divider :D Ya your right i may aswell go for 2 gigs when im doin it now, now all i have to do is get best value for money :) thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

the 2gig G-skill Value ram form overclockers is supposed to be very good value for money and great oc potential.

All I remember is that the good gskill sticks had blue heatspreaders!

I think they were the HZ series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

If you get 2 x 512 youll have to sell them if you upgrade to 2GB because 4 x 512 = 2T

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

tCMD 2T doesn't preclude you from getting decent overclocks does it?
    I mean, it won't get as high as 1T, but surely it'll reach 230-240Mhz Memclk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

2t isnt a big problem at all, i wouldnt worry about having to use 2t when overclocking

2T at DDR400 sucks :(

But the overclock makes up for it....

In AM3 the difference between 2T and 1T is around 2000 points, and the difference between a 7800gt at 400/500 and 500/600 is only 2000points, so 1T is better...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

conzymaher wrote:
    2T at DDR400 sucks :(

But the overclock makes up for it....

In AM3 the difference between 2T and 1T is around 2000 points, and the difference between a 7800gt at 400/500 and 500/600 is only 2000points, so 1T is better...

And what does that translate to for a value people actually care about, like FPS? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It also depends on your cpu's rev.

And what does that translate to for a value people actually care about, like FPS? :p

2:D

Advertisement