Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new city centre?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Why would anyone want the Limerick Post offices knocked. There one of the most beautiful cut stone buildings we have in the city. It has stood for the last 201 years and still looks good. It does need an alternative use I agree, it would make a great arts centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Why would anyone want the Limerick Post offices knocked.

You know what "metonymy", "metaphor" and "trope" means? ;)

IB,
    very academic today :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

An underground road? might work for a year or so but come five years i wouldn't be walking down there after a nightclub!!!!:mad:

I would imagine the road would be vehicle only. Lot's of European cities have them, and they aren't for pedestrians.

Like that one in Paris that Diana was killed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

something like the jack lynch tunnel but smaller and in a city i suppose it the best way to put it

• Advertisement

Like that one in Paris that Diana was killed in?

Exactly! So it'll bad news for any former Welsh princesses and their billionare boyfriends who might be chased through the city by a lot of papparazi on motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Why would anyone want the Limerick Post offices knocked. There one of the most beautiful cut stone buildings we have in the city. It has stood for the last 201 years and still looks good. It does need an alternative use I agree, it would make a great arts centre.

They are beautifull buildings, and they aren't going to be knocked by the nw developement.
    (They're listed if I'm not mistaken, seeing as they're part of the old town hall.)
    It's just the post in general that we want wiped off the face of the planet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

mysterious wrote:
    I agree and I think most would agree that this park is not only badly laid out but doesn't attract footfall.. Parks and squares should be on a footfall location, however this park, is totally insanely the opposite, The justification to keeping this park is because of the views, but hell there are plenty of better riverside views that I can think of than this shambles of a park, I say get rid of it:rolleyes:

I think you missunderstood what most people were giving a term for a square and not a park...

In Ireland a square or a diamond is always known as a planned green or open space in a town where all roads etc meet
    For example Diamond in Derry and Donegal
    another Eyre square in Galway and Kenmare square etc.

A park in which (Well Im talking about is) is green space on perphiry areas, like riveride, edge of towns, open space along road etc, example Perry Park in Limerick.

Arthurs quay dosn't look like either IMO, To me it's hideous, I go to Limerick often, and EVERY single time I was there, there was nobody in it, no not exaggerating,

The Term of a square was along the lines of most town squares in other towns, ( purpose of a square is what I'm rabbling on about, arthur's quay park failed this) This is what Limerick needs

To Amazing, No I'm not all for tarmaccing the block, A park will be included (if not a complusury order) The developer is not stupid. The park or square should be put on the Arthurs quay SC and the boardwalk and maybe a skate park maybe just a strip for a lookout would be located at the existing park,

better still maybe build a monement (that nobody would still go too:D )

It's not working and that that's.

Interesting comments, why do you think there's little footfall into Arthurs Quay Park, or has that never occured to you?

To me, the lack of footfall has more to do with it being surrounded by badly designed buildings (one designed by the geniuses behind the new plan:rolleyes: ). Arthurs' Quay centre is completely ignoring it, The old Dunnes Stores faces it with brick walls, and the Liddy street shops are empty. That is the reason for no footfall.

Now lets look at what could be done, surely it makes more sense to remove the railings and to redesign 3 buildings that will face and enhance the park. Lets build something on these sites that make use of a large riverfront park. By all means step the buildings closer the park by putting a road underground and allow for a smaller plaza in front of the current Easons/Pennys area.

There are a few reasons I'm slightly anti a boardwalk, mainly that we should try and redevelop from the Clarion to PierOne as Limerick's boardwalk, rather than have one that stretches the lenght of the river with nothing to fill it.

They are beautifull buildings, and they aren't going to be knocked by the nw developement.
    (They're listed if I'm not mistaken, seeing as they're part of the old town hall.)
    It's just the post in general that we want wiped off the face of the planet!

Phew!!. I thought it was the 1930s over again, they wiped so many beautiful building away then, they wanted to knock the castle and the remaining city walls too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well the Roches plans look like they ain't gonna happen cos Roches are pulling out of national retailing but holding on to their portfolio of buildings. Apparently Debenhams and Marks are carving the group up between them. I've heard that Debenhams have staked their claim on Tralee but i think both are too expensive to fill the Roches gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

ninty9er wrote:
    Well the Roches plans look like they ain't gonna happen cos Roches are pulling out of national retailing but holding on to their portfolio of buildings. Apparently Debenhams and Marks are carving the group up between them. I've heard that Debenhams have staked their claim on Tralee but i think both are too expensive to fill the Roches gap

Where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

I thought Marks were rumoured to be an anchor tenant in the new Opera Centre?

Also, was Arthur's Quay Park not supposed to be turned into a skateboarding park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Phew!!. I thought it was the 1930s over again, they wiped so many beautiful building away then, they wanted to knock the castle and the remaining city walls too.

Also would you believe council houses were once built INSIDEthe walls of the castle, in the actual courtyard itself, they were removed in the 50s i think, unbelievable! :eek:

If you want to get an idea of how much this city has been destroyed in the past 50 years go to this link on archiseek, you'll be amazed at the mistakes made!:mad:

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3946&page=27

post #655

As for the opera centre apparently its pretty much a certainty that Marks & spencer and Debenhams will anchor the centre, unless Dunnes come in and hijack the plans as they always seem to do, they'll definately provide some welcome competition! Marks & spencer in particular are a big crowd puller, their stores always seem to be busy, was in cork during the week and again the store was doing a good trade. In fairness though roches stores (cork) is always very busy aswell, they seem to do very good business, its probably got a lot to do with the fact that their shop is huge and very well laid out, in fairness i cant see them pulling out of the retailing trade anytime soon ninty9er!

Spengman wrote:
    Also would you believe council houses were once built INSIDEthe walls of the castle, in the actual courtyard itself, they were removed in the 50s i think, unbelievable! :eek:

Afair the houses weren't removed until the late 80's, maybe even 1990. I remember my parents vaguely knew some people who lived there and they were all refusing to leave unless they were highly compensated. There were some fairly big settlements too. I'm not sure if they tenants were corpo tenants or had completed or were part-way through tenant purchase.

Then they did restoration work on the castle and built the ridiculous interpretive centre. I think it re-opened in 1990/91, I remember one of my aunts taking me to see it and I was highly disapointed.

There was almost certainly houses in the castle until 1987/88.

It's amazing the damage that has been done to all Irish cities in the 20th century, and even now I don't think the damage has truly been stopped. Anyone who visits must think we have some strange love of cheap red brick and non-descript buildings.

iguana wrote:
    Afair the houses weren't removed until the late 80's, maybe even 1990. I remember my parents vaguely knew some people who lived there and they were all refusing to leave unless they were highly compensated.

I think the last tennants moved out around the end of 88.
    I went to school with a guy who had lived there untill he was 7 or so.
    Osk wrote:
    Also, was Arthur's Quay Park not supposed to be turned into a skateboarding park?

No, no, and.....no!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Oops - I was full sure I had read that somewhere......:o

Probably another mis-heard rumour so - anyone heard that TGI Fridays are going into The Bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

TGI Fridays in Limerick? im gonna e-mail them right away! ill let ye know the outcome! prob wont be till monday though! most places dont check mail at the weekend.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

irishguy wrote:
    Where did you see this?

I work there for the moment anyway. 1 of the managers told me there's been little information from Dublin but the aul CV is being polished up co Marks aren't likely to keep managers on Roches salaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Ooooops!, sorry for all the confusion, i pressed the wrong key on the keypad:o

Agree with the points made about the castle, they really did make a mess of the visitors centre, horrible plasticy material and ageing very badly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

skatepark is going down by steamboat quay, that little green area near the new bridge.

skatepark is going down by steamboat quay, that little green area near the new bridge.

Heard that too but I'll bet it never happens.

Heard that too but I hope it never happens.

FTFY:D

Nah, I've nothing against skate parks, just reckon it was some local politician speaking too soon. Ideally we'd have more than just one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

FTFY:D

Why cause it'll get kids off the streets and stop them skating in front of the new dunne's? Heaven forbid some good might come of it......

There was also suppose to be a skate park in the Clare street park too but that never happened.

The houses in the castle were built in the 1930s to re-house people who had lived on George's Quay. Their houses (three storey Georgian) had collapsed and they were living in tents on George's Quay for months. I'm sure I have a picture of them somewhere if anyone is interested.

Pm'd you Scrattletrap about photos.

Nah, I've nothing against skate parks, just reckon it was some local politician speaking too soon. Ideally we'd have more than just one too.
    kyp_durron wrote:
    Why cause it'll get kids off the streets and stop them skating in front of the new dunne's? Heaven forbid some good might come of it......

I was only joking.
    I've no problem with them building a park somwhere, but every other week you hear skateboarders saying that there's going to be a park built here, or there!
    P.S. If they do build a park, I'll be one f the first down there to watch!
    I could do with a good laugh!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Planning permission has been granted for the one at steamboat quay, its meant to be started soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

iguana wrote:
    Then they did restoration work on the castle and built the ridiculous interpretive centre. I think it re-opened in 1990/91, I remember one of my aunts taking me to see it and I was highly disapointed.

Gotta comment on this the interpretive centre at the Castle gets so much stick and NONE of it is deserved. Anyone who wants to see the alternative can go visit Wood Quay in Dublin and find the Dublin County or City Council building outside of which you will see a lovely replica of a viking boat reason for it all evidence of the Viking village at Wood Quay are completly destroyed by the foundation work for the building.

On the other hand the building here in Limerick is a Unique suspended building which protects the remains of Limericks oldest know houses underneath it. The boards here often talk about the damage done to the city by modern development but this is one case the modern development has saved the history of the city. Ok the building mightent look the nicest but due to weight restrictions it has to be this way. I mean can anyone imagine the difficulty of building a house that doesn't touch the ground.

At the end of the day better to preserve than destroy and I think all Limerick Boarders would agree with me

Advertisement