Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gadgets from amazon.com?

Options
  • 22-06-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Now that amazon.co.uk have stopped shipping electronics (and most other stuff) to Ireland, has anyone tried ordering gagdets from amazon.com? I managed to get to the last stage before my credit card was charged without a "we don't ship to Ireland" warning, but I wasn't ready to buy so didn't take it any further. Do they ship to Ireland without problems? If they do, does the giveaway Amazon box make it any likelier than usual I'd be hit by customs charges when they arrive in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

from their website..when you see the item description, it normally says "Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.", so maybe it depends on the item.
    International Addresses

The following items can be shipped to destinations outside the U.S.:

* books*
    * DVDs
    * music
    * VHS videos

Additionally, some software, tools, and kitchen items can be shipped to the following countries:

* Australia
    * Austria
    * Denmark
    * Finland
    * France
    * Germany
    * Japan
    * Ireland
    * Italy
    * Netherlands
    * New Zealand
    * Sweden
    * United Kingdom

These items can be shipped only via Priority International Shipping and are subject to an import fees deposit.

*Note: Books that require special handling because they are extremely heavy (for example, multi-volume sets) cannot be shipped outside the U.S. If this is the case, it will be noted on the product detail page.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

It also depends on where you're ordering from. Amazon.co.uk will ship pretty much everything to Ireland, except for mobile phones (since they're UK network-locked).

Amazon.com (US) will only ship books, DVDs, CDs and certain software to Ireland - but with a part-customs charge added on! They won't deliver gadgets. Neither will Amazon.de or other Amazons, even though they're in the EU. Seems to do with manufactures warranties.

As Amazon.co.uk is in the EU, you won't be charged customs. You will, however, be charged *Irish* VAT, so you'll notice that the prices at checkout are 3.5% more expensive than you expected... Seems that if a UK company ships more than £37,500stg of goods outside the UK, they must charge VAT at the rate of the country being bought from. So, some smaller companies will only charge you 17.5% VAT from the UK but others will charge you 21% Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

byrnefm wrote:
    It also depends on where you're ordering from. Amazon.co.uk will ship pretty much everything to Ireland, except for mobile phones (since they're UK network-locked).

Not any more they won't... that's why I asked. Books, CDs and DVDs is about all they'll ship now.

http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2006/05/07/amazon-uk-shift-the-goalposts/

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Oh bummer - I didn't know. I had ordered gadgets from them in the past - I didn't realize they've changed their policy :( At least there's still Dabs, Pixmania and the like...

Advertisement