Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Updating Windows XP (quickest and easiet method)

• 22-06-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if I'm reposting a recurring theme.

Been asked by my sister to do a housecleaning of her PC including updating any software. The machine has XP Home SP1, but hasn't been updated in about two years. She has dial-up (and a very poor line), and lugging the PC to my place to hook up to my network isn't a practical option.

Do I:

1. Order the SP2 Cd from Microsoft, or
    2. Download the SP2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers available here?

I know option 2 says "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update", but is it impossible to use the download on a single PC?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

You should get a SP2 CD indeed, either order one as you say or try to get a loan of one, for the windows updates ( and driver updates too ) it will need a fair amount of them downloaded / installed, could you take the PC to a place that has broadband access ?.. far better off if you could.

That Network Installation Package is still 266 MB, over a dial up connection = serious problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mr_disc wrote:
    could you take the PC to a place that has broadband access ?.. far better off if you could.

Could do, but it would be a pain in the h*le TBH. Had hoped that download above would do the job. (have it downloaded now, I've got broadband)

Nice one, hopefully that one will work fine, you still gotta think bout windows updates and drivers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hopefully you wont run into any trouble installing SP2 like I had! Some registry entries were set incorrectly so SP2 wouldnt update, got it sorted out though a lot of messing around. Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Before you install SP2 make sure that you do a full virus/adware/spyware clean out first and make sure system restore is not disabled. What you downloaded should install fine. There has been about 40 updates released since SP2 was released so hopefully what you downloaded includes them.

• Advertisement

SP2 wont have these updates included though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

get SP2 and then look at www.autopatcher.com and download the autopatcher files from there on your own broadband enabled pc and burn them to CD to be installed on your sisters pc.

that'll bring her up to june, then run windows update on her dialup connection, see what's still missing (if you can be arsed to take it that far) and make a note of all the patches and go home and search the MS knowledgebase for the KB articles for each patch and download them manually, go back to your sisters etc. etc.

I'd say autopatcher to june will do her tho. maybe get her some new AV software too, something small and light like AVG free or NOD32 or something like that. whichever you prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Yeah AutoPatcher should do the trick:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=471109

I think SP2 needs to be already installed so get your hands on that as well or you could slipstream her WinXP SP1 CD to SP2 and do a fresh install deleteing all those pesky critters in the process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I know option 2 says "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update", but is it impossible to use the download on a single PC?
    No, it's fine, I use it all the time. The warning is just "helpful advice" to save you downloading components you might not need. If you have broadband, fire it up and let it run while you're in bed, it'll be waiting for you in the morning. As some the others have said though, you'll need to install post-SP2 patches either way.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Just to follow up...

Sis and her hubby were away for a few days so I took the PC down to my place and did everything from there.

Thanks for the help anyway folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement