Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graham Poll

• 22-06-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Is he the worst ref in the World Cup?

I say YES!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

This match has just turned into a farce. A bit of cop on with the cards, its obvious both teams are gonna be going for everything with a few mins left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Should the 4th official not radio him and tell him that was a 2nd yellow for the guy he booked? or is he not allowed to?

HEHE he kisses vidukla then gives the croatian a 3rd yellow. legend.

as i said before, farce....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The most hilarious Poll ever!

Here has the ref been in to RTE yet??

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

R O F L

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

yea it was suiminic. he got booked twice during the game and den got booked again after match and got a red card. Poor game for poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

MOTM performance from Poll there, what a farcical end to the match. :rolleyes:

Poll for teh Final!!1 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Roddy23 wrote:
    Here has the ref been in to RTE yet??

Yes once for about 5mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

According to bbc, Simunic got booked in the 62nd minute.

Did Poll book him again near the end, and after the final whistle.

He got 3 yellows and 1 red, haha

Poll has reffed his last game at this level.

Extra time multi balls indeed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Shocking stuff from Poll.I only saw the aussie match from when RTE switched over,but the aussies were denied 2 stone wall penalties,not to mention how ridiculous the 3 yellow cards for one player was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

To be fair, I think this is a symptom of the farce the rules have become. It seems like every little thing merits a yellow card. How you are supposed to keep track of 15 cards in that kind of pandemonium?

What happened to the sensible referee that shows a bit of constraint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

CiaranC wrote:
    To be fair, I think this is a symptom of the farce the rules have become. It seems like every little thing merits a yellow card. How you are supposed to keep track of 15 cards in that kind of pandemonium?

What happened to the sensible referee that shows a bit of constraint?
    Doesnt he write all of the names down on the yellow card,so all he would have to do is check if the name is there already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

zabbo wrote:
    According to bbc, Simunic got booked in the 62nd minute.

Did Poll book him again near the end, and after the final whistle.
    That's exactly what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont blame Poll entirely, the Croates were causing mayhem at every turn.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you look when he sent the first and second player he had a good look at his note book then showed the red. What a plonker!

Last game at this level as said before.

To be fair a goof few of the Croatian team were in his face allot and some of them raised their hands which I think should've been straight reds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Anan wrote:
    Doesnt he write all of the names down on the yellow card,so all he would have to do is check if the name is there already?
    FIFA should introduce A4 sized yellow cards & notebooks, so they can fit all the people the refs book for nothing on there. Or maybe a 6th official with an SQL database to keep track of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I was watching the BBC highlights and they didn't show the incident I don't think. I think they cut from the highlights in the 85th minute. Not sure because I was on my mobile at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pierluigi Collina would sort them all out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yep the official WC site has Simunic as being booked in the 61st and 93rd (+) minutes leading to his dismssal. But it doesn't have anything about his yellow in the 89th minute for (I'd imagine a choice/combination of) dragging two players to the ground and putting a foot in.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/match/stats.html?id=44&year=2006&month=6&day=&day

Can't say if the 61st min even happened as I didn't see footage but the tape (video that is) doesn't lie and he's definetly booked on 89m40s and again about 5 seconds after fulltime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Poll was fcuking awful in his other game in this world cup as well, Togo v South Korea. Remember? Showing a red card and then a yellow to the Togolese captain...

As an Arsenal* fan, I am well aware of Poll's complete lack of any refereeing skills whatsoever.

I'm just astonished that it's taken 2 World Cups for the rest of the planet to realise this fact...

*Not that we get the brunt of all his bad decisions... As a matter of fact, up until a few years ago he was infamous with 'Pool who noticed that they seemed to be getting a rather unfair deal of his decisions in games involving them... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Lemlin wrote:
    I was watching the BBC highlights and they didn't show the incident I don't think. I think they cut from the highlights in the 85th minute. Not sure because I was on my mobile at the time.
    If your talking about the highlights show at 12.15 on BBC then they did indeed show it. They said that Poll claimed he gave the 1st yellow card to Simic but the panel destroyed that claim by saying that meant Simic would have got 3 yellow cards instead(He got sent off too). Shearer looked delighted with the whole affair and muttered something about poll disallowing one of his goals once.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There is no question that he booked Simunic 3 times. He should stand up and admit his mistake insteat of ooking like an even bigger fool by trying to cover it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

tbh I thought Simunic deserved at least 3 yellows (if not more). Many rugby tackles, should of had a penalty given against him and seemed to be in the ref's face quite a lot.

On top of all his gaffs it's kind of fitting that Poll blew for full-time just as Oz had scored.

Helards back to 1978 when Clive Thomas disallowed a Brazilian goal (v Sweden) because he had blown for time.

A ref is perfectly entitled to blow-up when time runs out but the general convention is not to until the attacking pattern has broken down and neither team looks like scoring. Many say this convention is down to the controversy that Thomas caused with this incident.

BTW Thomas (like Poll) never conceded any wrong-doing on his part and (like Poll?) never reffed another WC game again either

Looks like its an early bath for Poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Missed most of the match last night. Only seen the last 10mins in the pub with no sound but from what I seen one of the Croatian lads should have gotten a straight red for pushing Poll near the end. Poll just waved him away and gave his team mate a yellow for the foul that he had committed. I think it was either Simunic or Simic.
    Pigman II wrote:
    Helards back to 1978 when Clive Thomas disallowed a Brazilian goal (v Sweden) because he had blown for time.
    Was that the goal that was scored from a corner? The blew his whistle for full time just as the player kicked the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

p.pete wrote:
    tbh I thought Simunic deserved at least 3 yellows (if not more). Many rugby tackles, should of had a penalty given against him and seemed to be in the ref's face quite a lot.
    Simunic is being scouted by the Australian Rugbt Federation for their next World Tour cos they said he performed great rugby style tackles on the pitch last night and got away with half of them.

Poll also missed the 2nd hand ball that Tomas did in the 2nd half....:eek: even I saw that with my one good eye...;)

BaZmO* wrote:
    Was that the goal that was scored from a corner? The blew his whistle for full time just as the player kicked the ball.

Never saw the match, only ever saw archive footage of the incident so I can't claim to know all the details surrounding it.. IIRC it WAS a corner but it didn't go straight in. It was headed in by someone in the box (possibly Zico).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote:
    Never saw the match, only ever saw archive footage of the incident so I can't claim to know all the details surrounding it.. IIRC it WAS a corner but it didn't go straight in. It was headed in by someone in the box (possibly Zico).
    Never saw the match either but I've seen the footage of the incident (I think?).

The one I seen didn't go straight in either, went in off another player so yeah, we're probably talking about the same incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Pigman II wrote:
    Yes. It was a goal from a corner and it was headded in. Thomas claimed that he had blew the whistle as the ball was in the air. Bedlam ensued. Clive Thomas always reminded me of Brian Clugh for some reason. They had a similar attitude aswell.

I also remember some incident in the 82 WC (I think it was '82). When a ref blew for a goal against some Arabian team. The team claimed that they had heard a whistle blown for offside. Turned out the whistle was in the crowd and the team stormed off the pitch. For some unknown reason the ref dissallowed the goal, and it took negotiations by some sheik or prince to get the team to come back on.

Does anybody else remember this?

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember it :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hobart wrote:
    also remember some incident in the 82 WC (I think it was '82). When a ref blew for a goal against some Arabian team. The team claimed that they had heard a whistle blown for offside. Turned out the whistle was in the crowd and the team stormed off the pitch. For some unknown reason the ref dissallowed the goal, and it took negotiations by some sheik or prince to get the team to come back on.

While I'm too young to have been alive for the 82 WC, I have seen a show on TV mentioning this incident. The whole thing was hilarious.

Hobart wrote:
    I also remember some incident in the 82 WC (I think it was '82). When a ref blew for a goal against some Arabian team. The team claimed that they had heard a whistle blown for offside. Turned out the whistle was in the crowd and the team stormed off the pitch. For some unknown reason the ref dissallowed the goal, and it took negotiations by some sheik or prince to get the team to come back on.

Again I never saw that game either. So this is all from study. That was Kuwait v France in 82.

It's probably the only case I've heard of a ref going back on his decision. I don't know what Kuwait were compaining about tho. I think they lost the game by about 3 or 4 goals and France also had another 4 goals disallowed so it was hardly a make or break decision.

The urban myth is that guy who walked on the pitch was the leader of Kuwait or whatever. He was iirc (whilst possibly a member of nobility) the president of their Football Federation so I guess it made some sense for him to be the one calling the team off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I remember a similar incident in the Premiership, Think it was David Platt for Villa scoring as the ref blew the whislte.

You'd think they'd blow up before the corner.

Glad to see Poll getting it in the neck, an absolute assclown, loves the limelight.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Again I never saw that game either. So this is all from study. That was Kuwait v France in 82.
    Yep. That's who was playing allright. Google tells me that the game finished 4-1 and the ref was Miroslav Stupar.
    The urban myth is that guy who walked on the pitch was the leader of Kuwait or whatever. He was iirc (whilst possibly a member of nobility) the president of their Football Federation so I guess it made some sense for him to be the one calling the team off the pitch.
    Don't think it was/is an urban myth tbh from http://www.worldcup365.com/story/0,16726,7998_1228699,00.html . "Protests were led by Prince Fahid, the head of the Kuwaiti FA, who charged down from the stands and at one point threatened to take the team off the pitch." . I actually do remember the incident and he defo charged down with all the garb on. It was absoloute madness.

Hobart wrote:
    Don't think it was/is an urban myth tbh from

No, the guy in the garb definetly ran on the pitch. I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying the urban myth is that he was the ruler/king/leader of the entire country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Pighead wrote:
    If your talking about the highlights show at 12.15 on BBC then they did indeed show it. They said that Poll claimed he gave the 1st yellow card to Simic but the panel destroyed that claim by saying that meant Simic would have got 3 yellow cards instead(He got sent off too). Shearer looked delighted with the whole affair and muttered something about poll disallowing one of his goals once.

Nope, was talking about the earlier show when they showed highlights straight after the match.

Pigman II wrote:
    No, the guy in the garb definetly ran on the pitch. I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying the urban myth is that he was the ruler/king/leader of the entire country.
    Ah..ok. Anyhow. Graham Poll eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shocking stuff, should be no excuse, especially seeing as he has to write it all down on the back of the card. Is it that hard to match the numbers?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Shocking stuff, should be no excuse, especially seeing as he has to write it all down on the back of the card. Is it that hard to match the numbers?!

I think the answer for Poll is yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Hobart wrote:

Aye, the two boys Skinner and Baddiel did a great skit of that a few years ago. I believe the Sheik told reporters after he wanted his team to remain on the pitch despite being recorded gesturing madly for them to come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

http://xs102.xs.to/xs102/06254/poll_yellow_3.jpg

I think they should let him referee every match from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

Advertisement