Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are rents actually negotiable?

Options
  • 22-06-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have often hear people talk about how the rents quoted on daft.ie etc are what the landlord desires, but that in reality it's very much a rentors market, and in the majority of cases the landlord will be willing to negotiate. Apparently the following scenario is commonplace:
    daft advertised for 1200 per month, tenant comes along, landlord satisfied that (s)he will be a good tenant and agrees about 1000 per month.
    What I would like to know is:
    Have any of you actually experienced this?
    If so, what was the intial asking price on daft/herald etc, and what did the landlord agree to?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you'd be very lucky to get that much off, theres lots of other punters out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

In the right circumstances i think they are defo negotiable. We negotiated our apt from the requested 950 a month down to 850 a month just due to the fact that this area has a high student density and we werent students and could therefore offer a better tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

They are very, very negotiable at the moment, and this will become every more apparent as the 1000s of other apartments currently being completed (in Dublin at least) come on stream. My double room in Rathmines was advertised for €500 last year, the landlady reduced it to €450 during my viewing without me having to say anything, I'm down to €425 as of last week. Keep on building 80,000+ units a year, construction industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

There's a lot a ways to bargain the rent, If you pay 6 months upfront the Landlord may agree for a smaller rent or if you agree to a longer rent.

Rent Negotiations can be very complex for retail property dealing with the value with money now and the value in 5 years time taking into account interest and inflation, but you probadly didn't need to know that.

Most landlords don't mind taking a cut if their sure that the tennant will be hassle free.

Advertisement