Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network

• 22-06-2006 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have set up an office network and network points in each room connected back to a patchpanel /switch and router. I Have bought 3 d-link DWL-700AP Access Points and just plug them to the network point in each room. They all have the same ssid and all are operating on same channell and all working through DHCP. After a while it disconnects from wireless network and says little or no connection. Should i set them up as repeaters or is there some thing that im doing wrong the way its done.. .....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

mickymc wrote:
    Hi all
    I have set up an office network and network points in each room connected back to a patchpanel /switch and router.

So this sounds like a fully wired network.
    mickymc wrote:
    I Have bought 3 d-link DWL-700AP Access Points and just plug them to the network point in each room. They all have the same ssid and all are operating on same channell and all working through DHCP.

I don't see what you are doing/trying to do. Are these extra non-wired PC's? What do you mean by network point? Do you mean PC network card? or is there a central non connected patch panel in each room?
    mickymc wrote:
    After a while it disconnects from wireless network and says little or no connection. Should i set them up as repeaters or is there some thing that im doing wrong the way its done.. .

Disconnects from what? How are these are access points setup? is it an ad hoc or infrastructure network? Is there a wireless router involved?

mickymc wrote:
    :confused:

I am

Cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Darkman9999

How many PC's are you connecting and how big is the area? A standard wireless router can connect up to four PC's?

How many PC's are you connecting and how big is the area? A standard wireless router can connect up to four PC's?

Not the case!!!

It depends on the router. But most wireless router configurations allow 254 wireless connections.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Cal wrote:
    It depends on the router. But most wireless router configurations allow 254 wireless connections.
    The may be happy to dish out 254 DHCP addresses, but you won't get 254 usable signals out of the available spectrum on a cheap home wireless router.

Foxwood wrote:
    The may be happy to dish out 254 DHCP addresses, but you won't get 254 usable signals out of the available spectrum on a cheap home wireless router.

You are 100% correct. It would be a nightmare. The reality of using more than about 20 users on 1 wireless access point would be impracticle. And at 20 you would only want very light use.

Cal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mickymc

Hi guys -thanks for the replys...
    Just to clarify set-up..
    Office is fully wired and connected back to Patch Panel and Switch and then router(not wireless).
    ...What i want to do is have wireless access within the 3 offices with Wireless Laptops that are being used.
    I have put a d-link access point dwl-700ap in each office so the Laptops can get network connectivity. I have set them up all on the same channell and given all same ssid because i want the people to be able to move from one office to another with their wireless laptops.
    The offices are not big. I GET ERROR SAYING LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY AFTER A WHILE. Is there something wrong with the way that i have set them up.Are the networks interfering with one another.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

AFAIK you'll need to have each access point on a different channel for a start.

If each unit is set to DHCP then as you roam around the office the laptops will be registering with different units and renewing IP addresses frequently. You may want to limit one unit to issuing the IP addresses and use the other units as repeaters.

If the laptops are not moving around you could try putting each unit on a different channel.

Also make sure you are running Firmware version 2.02

I think your problem is just don't use D-Link hardware. I find their firmware to be buggy and as a result I avoid where possible.

Also the hardware you are using is only 802.11b which does not have great coverage and may mean that one Pre-N or 802.11G wireless access point may cover the entire office.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Why use a dedicated wifi AP for each laptop? its a bit OTT IMO. Is there an issue with distance and signal drop? Experiment with locating the AP in different spots or consider a higher gain aerial for it to boost the signal.

I presume your router is acting as DHCP...so, disable DHCP on the wifi AP, otherwise you will get conflicts. Only have one DHCP in operation, ie the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Umm Cal FYI the 802.11b standard has a greater output power than 802.11g and greater range.

MC ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement