Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Irish web directories are there?

Options
  • 22-06-2006 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

How many Irish web directories and search engines are there, including those made for adsense Dmoz clone directories? It is just one of those phase of the moon questions that I've been trying to figure out while building a new search engine index.

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

search.ie is the only Irish one i'm aware of although i do remember using a search engine as gaeilge before ach nil a fhios agam cad ab ainm do...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

search.ie is the only Irish one i'm aware of although i do remember using a search engine as gaeilge before ach nil a fhios agam cad ab ainm do...
    I keep running across Made For Adsense Irish webdirectories. Most of them seem to be based on a php script that drags content from Dmoz in real time. Search.ie is a genuine directory based on real content. That makes it somewhat different from many of these directories.

Part of the reason for posting was seeing the Searchtheowl.com "Irish search engine" go dot.bomb recently.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

www.irelandonthenet.ie is a site that has real content

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There have been quite a few over the years. Some of them have died out completely while others have somehow managed to stumble along.

Ones with original content:

browseireland.com
    search.ie
    niceone.com
    irelandonthenet
    gasta

I seeded browse.ie with dmoz data, but have been dumping old links and accepting new ones actively, so I guess it's a hybrid of some form

There are a silly number of Dmoz scrapers that you can't submit to and simply replicate the _exactly_ the DMOZ content and layout...

blacknight wrote:
    There have been quite a few over the years. Some of them have died out completely while others have somehow managed to stumble along.

Ones with original content:

gasta
    I thought that gasta was just an Overture front site masquerading as a search engine?

Kerna had its Swift Ireland directory but that seems to have gone dot.bomb.
    Online.ie's Irishsites.com is still there but I don't know what is going on with it.
    Doras.ie (that paragon of Telecom Eireann thinking) is gone.
    Local.ie - the domain dropped and was reregistered.
    mind.ie - seems to be an unattributed Dmoz clone.
    u2click.com - not sure what this is.
    searchtheowl.com - reinvented itself as a web directory with results mixed with Adsense ads.
    discoverireland.net - new. Not much content yet.
    searchengine.ie - excellent example of what was possible with Access. Dropped and reregged.
    isearch.ie - dropped and regregged. Was a search engine now is a directory site.

On average, these directory sites were lasting 18 months. Adsense has perhaps changed that average but once a site goes beyond the Dmoz float, it starts to depend on user submissions. That's when traffic becomes essential. Kind of a Catch 22 really. The alternative is for the directory owner to start crawling the web and that's where the line between directory and search engine starts to blur.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

www.niceone.com is another ... dunno if its real or not?

Cork Skate wrote:
    www.niceone.com is another ... dunno if its real or not?
    It was/is. It dates from the Doras era when wannabes thought that copying Yahoo's directory idea would bring them success. Not sure if it is still active though - like most of these directories, the people behind it seemed to think that they could rely on user submissions to build their website index.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 rogerg

They seem to come and go. We've had Browse Ireland running since 1995 /1996.
    I've been trying to figure out while building a new search engine index.

Are you planning to use those sites as a basis for your search engine?

With all the delays it'll probably take us about 2 more weeks to get Scrudu Irish Search Engine up and running. I reckon it should give The Current Best Irish Search Engine a run for it's money :cool: ....but maybe not if you get this new search engine index going. :) .

rogerg wrote:
    They seem to come and go. We've had Browse Ireland running since 1995 /1996.
    Browse Ireland is one of the core directories. The arrival of Adsense seems to have complicated things (some of these MFA directories seem to be lasting longer than the 18 month average.).
    Are you planning to use those sites as a basis for your search engine?
    Too much duplication. :) And then there is the deadwood issue. Some sites may be dead or have changed ownership.
    With all the delays it'll probably take us about 2 more weeks to get Scrudu Irish Search Engine up and running. I reckon it should give The Current Best Irish Search Engine a run for it's money :cool: ....but maybe not if you get this new search engine index going. :) .
    Yep the Irish web has grown dramatically in the last few years. A full index of Irish sites would probably end up at around 15 million pages (at a guess) but there would be significant duplication. And a lot of that would be historical rather than live.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

404 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mowd

I just started my own Irish web directory.

websearch.ie

Advertisement