Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unable to connect to the web after router firmware upgrade

• 23-06-2006 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

hello all,

i upgraded my router firmware last night and am now unable to get the web..
    it wiped all my settings and i must be missing something as i still cannot get the www..

i have included screen shots of all relevent screens on my router config page
    ... could any of you experts look at them and tell me if im missing something..
    http://toyotagtturbo.com/gallery_view_album.php?cid=261
    (you might need to press the "printable view" button on the pics to see a larger version)
    cheers..

there is a chance that i broke the router by upgrading the firmware while connected wirelessly.. but i just wanna rule everything elso out before i buy a new one..

thanks a million for reading.. im supposed to be doing a project but my main pc can only connect wirelessly and i have to keep sending files to this pc over the network and then connecting it to usb broadband to upload..

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Make & Model number of the router (edit: ok I see its in your pics) and did the firmware install fully or did you get cut off (I suspect you did) before it completed, also can you post up what firmware version you had and what you flashed the router with to update it.

Were you connected via WiFi when you attempted the update (never to be recomended) as I gather from your post you may have been, you may now have yourself a nice paperweight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

the make is Airlink ar410w super g router
    the firmware was just the standard firmware that came on the router
    the i upgraded to AR410W Firmware v1.6.6 Released 3/30/2005 ...

yip i was connected wirelessly :( as there was no mention of not connecting on the firmware download page.. ONLY in the knowledge base was in mentioned when your looking for problems after updating it which i found really annoying as prevention should be better than cure.. i never knew updating firmware via wifi was so fatal...

ahh well.. whats the going price for a router in PC world around now? as im gonna be pretty stuck if this is busted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Try finding the data pins on the main onboard flash and short them briefly on boot. (only if the things a brick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

65 yoyo in PC world at the moment for the LinksysWRTG54 (or similiar name)
    A great model....and a decent price.
    You could retry flashing the firmware-connecting wired this time.....although this may not work.
    Always worth backing up settings before you do a firmware upgrade also...
    I assume you can connect to the router wired-its possible that it is just a setting on the router and not a failed firmware upgrade that is causing you not to connect to the net....

im still able to connect to the router wired, and wirelessly.. but can only get internal traffic between my pc's on the network, the problem arises when i try to access any external internet activity..

i was reading up on there site, there is a warning that says "upgrading while connected wirelessly can cause irreversable damage" oops!!

id say its safe to say i bunched it..

is the firmware on these stored on an eprom chip? lol, i used to work in a place that had a copier for eprom chips.. might have been handy now.. LOL

65 bucks aint so bad.. seeing as it will save me a few grey hairs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

i never knew updating firmware via wifi was so fatal...
    Updating by wireless isn't fatal - an interrupted update is fatal. Because wireless is more likely than wired to be interrupted, you're more likely to get a screwed up firmware upgrade on a wireless connection, but the vast majority of times, it won't be a problem.

But if you'd screwed up the upgrade, you wouldn't have been able to take those screen shots (see references to boat anchors in other posts). So the firmware upgrade is unlikely to be the source of your problem.

Foxwood.. you may have Brightened up my day... thanks for replying to the other thread.. i will call eircom later today and try get my password for connection over ppp

Crisis Averted.. and i have also learned a bit that i didnt know about routing.. Thanks foxwood your the man!!!

Foxwood wrote:
    Updating by wireless isn't fatal - an interrupted update is fatal. Because wireless is more likely than wired to be interrupted, you're more likely to get a screwed up firmware upgrade on a wireless connection, but the vast majority of times, it won't be a problem.

snip

So yes doing an update via wireless is not to be reccomended as its can fail and leave you with a brick, end result is the same, doesn't matter to the end user why the update failed.

So lets not split hairs here, doing an update viw WiFi is not a good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

So yes doing an update via wireless is not to be reccomended as its can fail and leave you with a brick, end result is the same, doesn't matter to the end user why the update failed.

So lets not split hairs here, doing an update viw WiFi is not a good idea!
    We had a user here panicking because he'd had done his upgrade on a wireless connection, and everything went fine, but certain "experts" left him with the impression that he'd killed his router by doing the upgrade over a wireless connection.

It's always smarter to do the upgrade on a wired connection (though that's no guarantee that it won't get screwed up). But it's not that big a deal - if you've got a strong signal, you're probably more likely to kill your router because the power cuts out midstream, rather than because of a wireless problem. (Having said that, I always do my updates on a wired connection :D )

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    (Having said that, I always do my updates on a wired connection :D )

LOL ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Please note my "expert" opinion above:
    I assume you can connect to the router wired-its possible that it is just a setting on the router and not a failed firmware upgrade that is causing you not to connect to the net....
    Nothing I can do if my advise isnt heeded......
    Kippy

Advertisement