Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tomato plants in a conservatory.

• 23-06-2006 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

So i am wondering is it ok to leave my tomato plants in the conservatory.
    they're over 5ft and have good fruit (even though i think i havent pinched them out enough and there will be alot of fruit but not great quality)
    Where i live can be quite windy and i dont think they'll take the battering.
    plus i think cold days in ireland will do them no good.
    i've been told that in the conservatory they wont do as well cos of too much intense heat.
    any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

They'll do better in the conservatory than they will outdoors - just make sure they have good ventilation, and if you have them, use the shade blinds to prevent overly strong sun being magnified by the glass. Make sure you keep them well watered - you'll need to check them every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gareth Austin

Hi there.

As mentioned above generally your tomato plants will do better indoors than outdoors. Remember to feed them every week with Tomato fertiliser. Cut the top of them when they get to aroudn 6' high. This will encourage more side branching and more fruits.

For next year you could look for a variety called Totem which is a dwarf type which can be grown outside. Will grow to around 3'-4' high. It grows well without pinchign side shoots like you have to on larger varieties.

I've grown this outdoors here in Donegal and it works well.

All the best
    Gareth Austin

www.lifestylecentre.ie

Advertisement