Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would my CPU be able to handle a 1900XTX?

Options
  • 23-06-2006 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi, after alot of thinking ive decided that i need to up my gaming performance and go for a more powerful card cause im not happy with the framerates im getting in FEAR at the moment with my current 7800GTX.... 33, 68, 157. Now im considering going for the Saphire x1900xtx card but im a bit worried that my 2.2ghz Athlon 3700+ might bottleneck it... So is my CPU actually too weak to handle it or will it be okay? Also if it turns out that the 1900xtx is too powerful then i wonder would a 7900GTX be alright? Thanks for any help. My System; A64 3700+, Asus a8nsli Premium, 2gigs Corsair 3200 RAM, Xfx 7800GTX 256mb, Seas. s12 600W PSU, Raptor 150GB HD, Win XP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I would say it would be fine mate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

upgrading from a 7800 to a 1900 already - unless you have money to burn that is insane.

the 7800 can run fear on pretty much maxed out settings so what sort of frame rate are you looking for??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

What havok said, thats bit mad, going from a 7800GTX to an X1900XTX. it might make a difference if you're running igames on higher pixels.

as for the question 3700 should have no problem whatsoever with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

HavoK wrote:
    the 7800 can run fear on pretty much maxed out settings so what sort of frame rate are you looking for??
    Yeah well im the kinda guy who really cant stand so much as even the slightest jerk or stall during gameplay cause they really get on my nerves, and the framerates my 7800gtx is giving my in high end games (at max detail) is definately not 100% smooth, which i want. So talkin about FEAR (the built in test) i really dont want it going below 40fps min on max settings, 1024res. I stated above on my previous post the framerates im getting currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The 7800GTX should be able to handle that no problems, my 7800GT did and that was on 1280 pixels. Try drivers?

• Advertisement

Ive been trying a good few drivers... Just recently went from the forceware 84.21 to the 91.31 BETA driver which didnt improve performance very much. My card just seems to scale like crazy.. Ups and Dowms every day!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Your Fps will change dramatically especially in Fear your 7800gtx is fine unless you have everything on max incl AF & AA etc if you wanna overclock it download Nv Tweak wont make much difference tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I reckon you must have your settings in game set wrong. turn off soft shadows this is a high end feature and disable v sync in control panel (i never use v sync). i could get great framerates with my old card a 6800 and a 3Gb P4. You should be well able to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

lol im here looking at your system,and you thinkyou already need to upgrade??? I think your absolutely crazy man.

lol im here looking at your system,and you thinkyou already need to upgrade???
    Its more of a replacement. My graphics card is messed up and is not giving me the correct framerates in games it should eat up.

• Advertisement

Yeah but its still playible if you just ower the settings,Then you can wait untill teh Direct x ten cards come out.

Yeah but its still playible if you just lower the settings,Then you can wait untill teh Direct x ten cards come out.

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Its more of a replacement. My graphics card is messed up and is not giving me the correct framerates in games it should eat up.

Could you not just rma it? I'd love to have a 7800.....I'm still stuck with an x800 and not looking like I'll bother to upgrade for the future....can't understand people who upgrade from 7800/1800's to 7900s/1900s for the sake of a few extra frames a second in most cases, especially when dx10 hardware is so close.

Still think it really is not worth it!! If there's an actual problem with the card, rma it. If not, seriously don't waste your money. Try turning soft shadows off in FEAR - it doesn't add an awful lot to the game and really puts a strain on any gpu.

I get decent framerates at fairly high settings on my plain old x800 - I can't begin to imagine how perfectly beautiful it looks like on your 7800!

HavoK wrote:
    Could you not just rma it?
    The thing is i've already RMA'd it once! (got the replacement) Took 5 weeks to get replacement, so i was over a month without my PC! Im not going through that again so im prepared to upgrade.

Maybe its something wrong with you MObo then if youve had the same problem with two cards. Maybe its not recieving enough power through the PCi-E slot??

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

well why not buy another graphics card for sli (unless fear dont support sli)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

there are ethiopians starving in somalia and here you are wasting money going from 7800 to 1900.

RapierX wrote:
    there are ethiopians starving in somalia and here you are wasting money going from 7800 to 1900.

I would imagine they are starving in their homeland of Ethiopia as well but yes, true...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LOL Is this guy for real?
    If he is:
    • TURN OFF Soft Shadows
    • TURN OFF V-sync
    • Overclocking > upgrading
    People with money to burn, eh?:rolleyes:

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    LOL Is this guy for real?
    If he is:
    • TURN OFF Soft Shadows
    • TURN OFF V-sync
    • Overclocking > upgrading
    People with money to burn, eh?:rolleyes:
    Turn off soft shadows - done that
    Turn off V-sync - done that
    Overclocking - done that (yesterday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

HavoK wrote:
    I would imagine they are starving in their homeland of Ethiopia as well but yes, true...:D

pwown'd.

edit: ethiopiown'd even.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TomCo wrote:
    pwown'd.

edit: ethiopiown'd even.

Advertisement