Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wanna learn.....!

Options
  • 23-06-2006 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi. Hope I'm in the right place.
    I want to learn how to build my own website.
    I've done programming before (such as VB, C++), but no real experience with creating or editing websites.

I could attend an online-based course, or even attend a night course with FAS (don't know how to do the fadas here).

My goal is to be able to learn how to build a website, with a database, a way of storing huge amounts of information, members who can log in, etc etc. I just thought I could ask for some advice like where to start. Any courses or websites to recommend, or just any advice at all on where to start would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

for php...zend, phpfreaks, sitepoint, devshed, phpbuilder are all good. The forums at programmertalk.com / webdeveloper.com / phpbuilder.com provide excellent support. And of course php.net has the library resources.

If you already have OOProgramming behind you, you might consider Ruby or JSP with Oracle over ASP/PHP as they would tend to lean more towards object orientated development.

Whatever language you go for you're going to have to brush up on HTML/CSS for design purposes anyways. There are loads of decent CSS websites providing good tutorials.

I wouldn't know anything about online courses or FAS but i'd imagine you'd nearly be better off getting an O'Reily book on the language of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A mate of mine is doing an online course in web design through FAS. I,m not sure of the cost or how to get on the coarse but I will ask him if you can't find the details elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

The Muppet wrote:
    A mate of mine is doing an online course in web design through FAS. I,m not sure of the cost or how to get on the coarse but I will ask him if you can't find the details elsewhere.
    Hey Muppet - I guess I could find out all about it by ringing FÁS or something but it'd be great if you could ask him if he thinks the course is any good?

And thanks for the advice, Rollo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hi Caryatnid

I was talking to my mate this evening and he likes the course. He is only at it a few weeks so that may change. It starts from the very basics of HTML which is where he is at at the moment and he says it will touch on css etc down the road.

You could give FAS a ring to see if it suits you. I have done a couple of the lynda.com courses and found them very good .

Advertisement