Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Citys CL Draw

• 23-06-2006 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Draw today at 11am (maybe 12, not sure). City will play one of the below. Some are quite winnable, others would be a disaster.

MyPa-47 (Finland)
    Apollon Limassol (Cyprus)
    Siroki Brijeg (Bosnia)
    FH Hafnarfjardar (Iceland)
    Metalurgs Liepaja (Latvia)
    Sheriff Tiraspol (Moldova)
    Nova Gorica (Slovenia)
    Sioni Bolnisi (Georgia)
    Ekranas Panevezys (Lithuania)
    Birkirkara (Malta)

Rabotnicki Skopje (Macedonia)

In bold are the ties i would like, especially the Icelandic and Maltese teams. That said, City have done well enough in Europe in recent years to fear no one. However, should they pass this round, the following teams lie in wait

Dinamo Kiev (Ukraine)
    Fenerbahçe (Turkey)
    Spartak Moscow (Russia)
    Levski Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia)
    Red Star Belgrade (Serbia & Montenegro)
    Hearts FC (Scotland)
    DVSC Debrecen (Hungary)
    FC København (Denmark)
    Legia Warsaw (Poland)
    Vålerengen IF (Norway)
    FC Zürich (Switzerland)
    Steuea Bucuresti (Romania)
    Djurgårdens IF (Sweden).

All of which look unwinnable, though if i were to have a choice I would like to see City play either Hearts, and settle the eL SPL argument once and for all :p , or a rematch with Djurgardens. Also maybe Copenhagen or Zurich might be good teams to catch cold. That all being said, the first round needs negotiating long before these thoughts should come into play.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Appallon Limassol. City at home first. About the worst City could have asked for. AFAIK they have a number of Cypriot internationals in there. Going to be tough.

Should City go through, its Red Star Belgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

gimmick wrote:
    However, should they pass this round, the following teams lie in wait
    All of which look unwinnable

Holy crap - that's looks like one of the nastiest second round pools ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

very, very tough draw. Nightmare actually. fcukin hell. we'll give it a go anyways and i'm sure that Rico will have the lads well prepared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not the best draw at all at all. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Unlucky, but have faith! :)

• Advertisement

One thing which maes me feel okay about all of this is Citys performances over the last 2 years, most notably against Malmo and Djurgarden.

Limmassol hopefully will be thinking the same as those folks, "its only an irish club". Add the fact that they wont even be in season, and pre season training will barely be under way, could bode well for City.

Similarly Red Star should that happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Apollon Limassol were the one team I was hoping we wouldn't get.

Derry and Drogheda got very tough UEFA Cup draws too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Odd i seem to be the only one who expects Cork to beat this lot over 2 legs.

Anyone booked the flights yet? How much ?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gimmick wrote:
    One thing which maes me feel okay about all of this is Citys performances over the last 2 years, most notably against Malmo and Djurgarden.

Limmassol hopefully will be thinking the same as those folks, "its only an irish club". Add the fact that they wont even be in season, and pre season training will barely be under way, could bode well for City.

Similarly Red Star should that happen!

I doubt it. There success and shels in previous seasons will probaly rule out teams thinking its only a irish club.

Also, i am sure on many city fans will be thinking "ah sure, its only a cyprus team".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bye bye Villagers.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: ^^ Constructive as always. I see the great wit from Shelsweb has seeped in here now. Pathetic, but dont expect much really:rolleyes:
    Also, i am sure on many city fans will be thinking "ah sure, its only a cyprus team".

Oh contarire, any City fan I have been speaking to see this draw for what it is - damn tough.
    Anyone booked the flights yet? How much ?

Im not going, but what many are doing is taking a weeks holiday in Cyprus around the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Tough tie (both the first and second leg games) , i'd have Cork 50/50 Limassol and Belgrade 70/30 to win against whoever comes through .

But Cork are capable of getting through both those games , it will take some great performances and a lot of luck but it can be done .

However if they somehow manage to come through both teams I doubt they will get any further , it's just too much to ask having that many good performances in a row in Europe , aswell as they would be playing a very good team .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Lets hope the langers show us what they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Tough draw, certainly, but defenatly not un-winable...city are a good side with a good manager...also, it's dificult to say if home first is such a bad thing...keep a clean sheet and the tie is there for the taking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote:
    :rolleyes: ^^ Constructive as always. I see the great wit from Shelsweb has seeped in here now. Pathetic, but dont expect much really:rolleyes:

Not trying to be constructive, just being honest. And it beats following a club whos fans' favourite chant over the year has been "I'd rather be a Paki than a Dub".

You ever been in Cyprus during the summer? Hot, hot, hot.

Villagers have beaten sides in Europe over the last couple of years, but the CL is the real deal.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Not trying to be constructive

You succeded then.
    Zebra3 wrote:
    And it beats following a club whos fans' favourite chant over the year has been "I'd rather be a Paki than a Dub".

I see you have been to Turners Cross alot, and keep abreast of all Citys chanting? Even if that were the case, whats your point?
    Zebra3 wrote:
    Villagers have beaten sides in Europe over the last couple of years, but the CL is the real deal.

:rolleyes: what exactly does that mean? That the UEFA Cup isnt the 'real deal'? Think before you post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I don't really take offence to "Villagers" so why is it I can't call the Dubs "West Brits".

Is the moderator a Dub or what?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, I hope CCFC go through, but the game in Cyprus will be tough.

Lads, leave it out with the Villagers comments, it's bad enough with the EPL threads degenerating to childish crap

Advertisement