Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The All-Purpose "Have a Rant and a Rave" Thread incorporating Pet Hates (merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

Calm down ....... breath slowly ............ slow deep breaths.

This afternoon: a line of traffic, I'm in the middle, truck behind me, truck in front of me and a slow car with a trailer in front of him.

I was waiting patiently for a good stretch of road, so that I can pass out both the truck and the slow car ahead of him.
    Then comes the stretch (on a narrow road). I signal to pull out. The next thing you know, a friggin' girl with 'L' plates passes out 2 trucks behind me and wants to pass me out too. She wasn't stopping, so I do not pull out and allow her to pass me. At this stage, she is still on the right hand side of the road and she's trying to pass out the truck in front of me. But in the meantime, the biggest truck I ever saw in my life was coming against her and flashing his lights at her. What does she do? She pulls in front of me, and I have to apply the brakes but there was still only inches between us. And then she gives me the finger. I was stunned.

Calm down ....... breath slowly ............ slow deep breaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Takes your breath away does'nt it? Was she driving a BMW? ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Fey! wrote:
    People stopping in the middle of the yellow crosshatches; WTF???QUOTE]

If a vehicle intends to turn right, it may legally enter a hatched box and wait provided the road to which it intends to enter is not blocked.

Otherwise, I'm with you on this one. :)

mike65 wrote:
    Takes your breath away does'nt it? Was she driving a BMW? ;)

Mike.

Nope. It was a 94-TS-XXXX banger. And after we both pass out the slow traffic, she proceeds to blow through a tiny village at 100 Km/h, instead of the listed 50 Km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

boardy wrote:
    ... to blow through a tiny village at 100 Km/h, instead of the listed 50 Km/h.

This one really gets my goat - I was behind a muppet last night on the Clane road out of Celbridge still in the 50 kmph zone, on a narrow road with a very narrow footpath on one side he lights up and shoots away from me doing at least 80 kmph :mad: (I live along here, and regularly walk on same footpath, so I know I'm over sensitive about this but...)

The only positive thing I can note, is that he had a TDI Golf with a self applied GT before the TDI that was sooo badly misaligned it was comical! :D

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What about those twits with the internal light on inside their horse box?
    And the top rear doors fixed open so that following motorists are blinded by the glaring white light!

WTF is that about? :mad:
    Is Neddy afraid of the dark or something?
    How did horsies survive for millions of years before kindly humans left a night light on for them? Did they constantly migrate around the globe following the sun?

<sigh>

If you MUST leave the light on in the trailer, SHUT THE BLOODY BACK DOORS PROPERLY!
    And don't forget to put his blue blanket and teddy bear in there too; it wouldn't do for the stupid lump of unprocessed self propelled dog food to get upset, would it?

Rovi wrote:

Is Neddy afraid of the dark or something?

I thought that it was a tanning light?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Rovi wrote:
    And the top rear doors fixed open so that following motorists are blinded by the glaring white light!
    That remind me of another thing. Tractors with rearward facing WHITE floodlights completely drowning out any red tail lights on the tractor and blinding and confusing following road users at night. Do these mucksavages think they're ploughing a field or something and that they need to illuminate the "land" behind their tractor. Of course, sometimes the white lights are used in place of broken taillights, the morons obviously think that the white lights are a valid subsitute :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

BrianD3 wrote:
    That remind me of another thing. Tractors with rearward facing WHITE floodlights completely drowning out any red tail lights on the tractor and blinding and confusing following road users at night. Do these mucksavages think they're ploughing a field or something and that they need to illuminate the "land" behind their tractor. Of course, sometimes the white lights are used in place of broken taillights, the morons obviously think that the white lights are a valid subsitute :rolleyes:
    As a full-time mucksavage and part-time tractor pilot, I resemble that remark! :D

Seriously though, I totally agree with you.
    One dirty wet night a couple of weeks ago, I approached the N7 on a side road (in my car!), and stopped to wait for a gap in traffic.
    As I came to a stop at the junction, there was a flurry of traffic from my left on the main road, accelerating up to cruising speed. Fourth or fifth in line was a Garda Traffic Corps Isuzu Trooper (I think; it was certainly a 4x4 with all the lights and the huge reflective stripes on the back).
    They were followed by literally dozens of vehicles, all overtaking a slow moving vehicle.

What was this "slow moving vehicle" I hear you ask?

It was a tractor (a good sized 4x4 New Holland with a front end loader) with a load of wrapped silage bales on a trailer. Those are the 4-5 foot cylindrical things covered in black polythene, for all you city slickers. It's cattle feed.
    Anyhow, there was no light of any kind on the back of the trailer, and he had every worklamp on the tractor switched on. That's four across the front and another four across the back. It was like looking at a scene out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

As I said, it was a wet January night on one of the busiest roads in the country, and this pillock was hauling an unlit trailer loaded with black heavy things, AND blinding motorists both in front of and behind him! :eek:

The lads in the Traffic Corps wagon didn't appear to be to bothered with him though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The missus e-mailed me this morning to tell me that she saw someone running across two lanes of motorway, in the near darkness, (M11 northbound, just after the Fassaroe exit I think) to a red van who had pulled onto the hard shoulder. She drives this stretch every morning at about the same time, and has noticed someone lurking in the bushes on the central reservation before, so it's obviously a regular occurence, probably someone getting a lift each morning. All the traffic started slowing suddenly and could have easily caused an accident, in fact this is (probably not coincidentally) the scene of a pile-up yesterday morning that she missed by a few minutes, so quite possibly the same cause.

She got the registration number of the van, and she's going to report it. Let's see if the joker is there tomorrow morning ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I've always thought it crazy the number of "hitch-hikers" at the same spots day in day out on the motorway, and witnessing vans take off from the hardshoulder without indicating etc. In the North I have seen the coppers actively keeping people from hitch-hiking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Rovi wrote:
    Anyhow, there was no light of any kind on the back of the trailer, and he had every worklamp on the tractor switched on. That's four across the front and another four across the back. It was like looking at a scene out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind

LMFAO!

Know what you are talking about - frequently see massive tractors with floodlights and trailers crawling up the hard shoulder of the M1. Those damn lights aren't road legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Ooh, ooh! i've got one!

You'd be amazed at the amount of cars I follow over here where all I can see in their rearview mirror is the view out their driver side window! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, at least ten percent of american drivers seem to have their rearview mirrors pointed at themselves. Ahhh, there's nothing like narcissistic stupidity.

That's something I've never once seen in Ireland.

Its people with thier door/wing mirrors folded in as they drive that do my head in!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

People not understanding driving and overtaking lanes

Today I was going from training in Marlay to a race in ALSAA, my sister was driving over the M50. We were in the driving lane doing 70-75 mph up until Tallaght, then there were cars in the overtaking lane sitting at 60-65 with nothing in the driving lane for ages, but since undertaking's illegal...

Bastards, we missed 2 races, one of which I wanted to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Coming along a fairly empty M1 near the the airport this morning - this car comes down the onramp behind me and goes straight into the overtaking lane and stays there... why oh why....

Some old fart in a black merc...
    geeeeeeeezzzzzzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

My mate told me last night of how he was driving towards Finglas yesterday lunchtime after coming off the M50 - there is a dual carraigeway. He had to rub his eyes after he saw a woman driving towards him in the overtaking lane of the dual carraigeway. Some stupid bítch had come out of the petrol station on the phone and obviously gone up the wrong way. What really got his goat was the fact that this dozy bat had the nerve to stay on the phone while she swerved across 2 lanes into the hard shoulder facing the wrong way.
    What is the world coming to....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Now that's the sort of driver it should be legal if not compulsory to beat with a wheel brace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Mexicola wrote:
    My mate told me last night of how he was driving towards Finglas yesterday lunchtime after coming off the M50 - there is a dual carraigeway. He had to rub his eyes after he saw a woman driving towards him in the overtaking lane of the dual carraigeway. Some stupid bítch had come out of the petrol station on the phone and obviously gone up the wrong way. What really got his goat was the fact that this dozy bat had the nerve to stay on the phone while she swerved across 2 lanes into the hard shoulder facing the wrong way.
    What is the world coming to....

I was leaving Dublin Airport a few nights ago at midnight. As I was going down the northbound sliproad onto the M1, I met a car coming up. I beckoned the driver to stop so that I could explain than she was travelling the wrong way. Her response - " Oh I know that, but I missed the turn off and I'm not going all the way to the next exit - my husband is waiting for me".

The mind boggles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

People who cut corners, like the turd in the BMW I met this morning. I was coming out of a side road on to the N2 turning left, and this Makkinen wannabe was making a rapid right turn off the N2 to get across the lane of traffic going to Dublin. Despite the fact that I was hugging the ditch as I turned left, I still was almost parted from my front bumper.

Or the other fu(kwit on the M50/M1 this evening with only one working headlight, but the one that was working was a retina-bleaching white laser on full beam the whole time, which he insisted on continuously showing me from a distance of no more than the width of my bumper even at motorway speed. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

If these new penalty points include trucks overtaking on a motorway, the cops are going to raking in the cash if they patrol the M1 early in the mornings!! Its unreal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

its probly already been said.... but i want to have my own little rant.........

(3) ppl who sit in the over-taking lane of the M50, crawling at about 60 kph blocking others from over taking!!!!! :mad:

(2) gobsheens who sit in bus lanes to jump heavy traffic then indicate at the last possible second

(1) ppl who dont use their indicators moving from lane to lane, or dont wave or flash their hazards to say thanks!!! :mad:

if somebody is in the wrong lane or is not sure where their going fair enough, but purlease for the love of god use your F**KING INDICATORS!!!!!!!!!!

May one day I'll snap i tells ye

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Old people who were thought to swerve left before turning right.... WHY WHY WHY were they afraid of hugging the white line to turn right in the old days.. My granny is a massive perpetrator of this crime, it leaves no space to get past.

People who refuse to use indicators at roundabouts, me n my mum keep having to shout at my dad about it

People who don't turn on thier lights as soon as they start the car anytime of day. Compulsory DRLs have been proven to significantly reduce fatal accidents in Scandanavia.

Speed Limits in this country. Some Autobahne are the same as the M50 yet have no spped limit. The Germans have one of the best road safety records in Europe. Why do people think speed kills, it doesn't BAD DRIVING DOES

phew

Welcome! you're new here are'nt you?! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

yip, new to the roads, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Okay I saw a thread here the other week and can't find it now.:(

Basically it was people having a rant about drivers who put there fog lights on when its not even foggy.:) I'm glad there's some people out there that are frustrated by this as well. Really gets on my nerves these drivers.:mad: Do they even know they have them turned on or even know how to turn then off for that matter. :eek: There oblivious to the fact that their blinding the on-coming traffic. When there's no one driving ahead of me and there's on-coming traffic with their foggies on, I know I prob shouldn't but I flash my foggies at them to try make them turn them off, hasn't worked yet.

I've even been in a taxi coming home from the pub one night and the taxi driver was complaining about the two cars behind that had their fog lights on. They then over took, and guess what, it was two coppers!!!!

Also, whats with people keeping their foot on the brake when the car is at a stand still when their sitting at the lights or something, why can't they take their foot of the brake, change out of gear and leave the handbrake on.:mad: Don't they realise they're blinding the driver behind, especially at night, and especially with those cars that have an extra brake light in the middle at the back window, such as Ford Focus' etc. I can understand the odd time it may be required for a second or two, but I was at the lights for at least a minute or two. :mad:

L-Drivers on the motorway! What the hell are you thinking!?! Now I know some people might have kids learning to drive and when they go back out they forget to take the plates down. Fair enough, we all have little instances when we forget things. But I've passed so many cars on the M1 between Swords and Balbriggan exits and the parent driver is in the passenger seat guiding the learner. You just know when some people are learning!!

And another thing about Motorways, is it really necessary to be about 5 feet of the ass of my car while I'm doing 75/120, (sometimes with their foggies on :mad: ) And why do so many people drive so slowly when their driving down the slip way onto the motorway, don't they realise that the traffic their merging into is going far faster than they are :mad: :eek:

Well that's all I can think off at the minute. And before you begin to wonder that this is some auld fella giving out about todays roads, your wrong. I'm 23, began learning to drive in summer of '04, and received my full license this time last year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

d-arke wrote:
    <--Snippety Snip-->
    Chill out dude. Just enjoy your car. Life is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have never been blinded by frong fog lights and I definatly dont see any problem with people keeping there foot on the brakes while stopped, dont find brake lights blinding at all.

I dont see what peoples problems with fog lights are, I have never been blinded by them, they make a car more visible in low light conditions and they even look good on some cars.

I've been driving for 5 years all over ireland and i never found things to be as bad as people make out, just stop complaining and try and enjoy life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

draffodx wrote:
    I have never been blinded by frong fog lights and I definatly dont see any problem with people keeping there foot on the brakes while stopped, dont find brake lights blinding at all.

I dont see what peoples problems with fog lights are, I have never been blinded by them, they make a car more visible in low light conditions and they even look good on some cars.

I've been driving for 5 years all over ireland and i never found things to be as bad as people make out, just stop complaining and try and enjoy life

The thing that gets me is people driving with just sidelights and front fogs on. It's just silly, at least have your proper lights on, and then turn on the fogs if you want, but this 'fashion statement' is just silly, and a bit off-putting.
    As for th brake light thing- I drive an auto so I never take it out of 'D' at the lights, but my brake lights are far from blinding. The new BMW's with LED's however, are incredibly blinding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

By all means use fog lights if its low visibility etc, but being dark is not a reason. Thats what the headlights are for!
    ZUUTROY wrote:
    The thing that gets me is people driving with just sidelights and front fogs on. It's just silly, at least have your proper lights on, and then turn on the fogs if you want, but this 'fashion statement' is just silly, and a bit off-putting.

I've noticed this as well, it is a bit of a fashion statement, people should should just stick to their headlights. Why else are they called your "fog lights".

Fair enough not all brake lights are blinding, but aren't we taught to put the handbrake on if we've stopped. As I said, I don't mind if its just a couple of seconds.

Advertisement