Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The All-Purpose "Have a Rant and a Rave" Thread incorporating Pet Hates (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

d-arke wrote:

Fair enough not all brake lights are blinding, but aren't we taught to put the handbrake on if we've stopped. As I said, I don't mind if its just a couple of seconds.

I used to....but the auto-box prefers not to be shifted from D to N all the time. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

haha, im not much older and have a full licence. Another thing is most drivers dont how to approch round-about's or use there indicators on them and then there are those cut you off, blaming you when clearly they haven't a **** clue. I back you up all the way, i could write a book on the fools driving out there, but whats the point. I blame the goverment..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I don't mind fog lights at all! I think when on, they do enhance the looks of a car (3/5 series Beemers spring to mind) I have mine on all the time on the new Golf.

I remember seeing road signs a couple of years ago with regards to a safety campaign the govt were promoting "Lights on daytime". They're no more glaring than normal lights IMO. I'm all for it

Maybe you should see an optican. You eyes might be over sensitive! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Roy16 wrote:
    haha, im not much older and have a full licence. Another thing is most drivers dont how to approch round-about's or use there indicators on them and then there are those cut you off, blaming you when clearly they haven't a **** clue. I back you up all the way, i could write a book on the fools driving out there, but whats the point. I blame the goverment..........

Fair play to you. I thought I was the only one.

The roundabout thing is so true as well. So many times I've seen people indicating either too early or incorrectly, how did these people get their license. And the amount of times people cut you off. They'll be on the inside lane of a dual carriage way, approaching the roundabout and once they go around they cut into the outside lane which your in. Crazy!!

Also, driving isn't about looks. Its about getting from A to B as safely as possible regarding the safety of others as well. If its looks your after buy a better looking car to compensate for other necessities ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

flanzer wrote:
    I don't mind fog lights at all! I think when on, they do enhance the looks of a car (3/5 series Beemers spring to mind) I have mine on all the time on the new Golf.

I remember seeing road signs a couple of years ago with regards to a safety campaign the govt were promoting "Lights on daytime". They're no more glaring than normal lights IMO. I'm all for it

eeerrrrrmm.... I wonder why the law doesnt agree with you....:rolleyes: ......
    Foglights DO blind people, Foglights are not there to look "Cool" they're there for a fkkin' reason, that being to provide visiblity for other cars to see YOU, not you to see further ahead in low visibility conditions, not to be put on in the daytime or even the nightime or simply to make a car look good.

I really have heard it all now, just goes to show I suppose the lack of consideration and general respect for driving here.

• Advertisement

Well said! I wonder just how far extra in front of their car they actually see when they put the foggies on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

d-arke wrote:
    Also, driving isn't about looks. Its about getting from A to B as safely as possible regarding the safety of others as well

whoa whoa whoa !! Your mixing up a bus and a car. A bus will get you from A to B. I'm sure a lot of people here will tell you that a large part of driving is about looks / feeling, etc. otherwise we'd all be driving trabants in straight lines to our jobs in the steel factory !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Could one of the mods just make a thread on foglights a sticky and that way it would save a new one popping up every single week.............................?

Big Balls wrote:
    Could one of the mods just make a thread on foglights a sticky and that way it would save a new one popping up every single week.............................?

Fair shout!

Also, for all of you who drive with the fog lights on, http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/08.htm#94

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

People not indicating at/on roundabouts can be a little frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

d-arke wrote:
    Okay I saw a thread here the other week and can't find it now.:(

T'is a sticky:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054874175

(All purpose have a rant and rave thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

d-arke wrote:
    Also, whats with people keeping their foot on the brake when the car is at a stand still

Solution, simply stop an extra metre or so further back and switch on your headlights. That way, either they get blinded too or they take their foot off the brake when they get out to give out to you.
    d-arke wrote:
    And why do so many people drive so slowly when their driving down the slip way onto the motorway, don't they realise that the traffic their merging into is going far faster than they are :mad: :eek:

Well, since the 120kmph speed limit only comes into effect towards the end of most slip roads and not (as some people seem to believe) the second you turn off the roundabout and start heading down it...
    Anyway, I agree with you - the merging lane is for you to match the speed of the near driving lane so you can filter easily not for slowly waiting for someone to stop and give you a gap.

On the sliproads sometimes I like to stick to the 60 (especially when someone is driving at the requisite 0.5m off the back of the bike cause that is just the safest, most mature and most sensible thing to do :rolleyes: ) and floor it to 120 as soon as I get to the 120 sign. That way the queue of cars is right behind the car and I am way off in the distance... Makes me chortle anwyay...

L.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

flanzer wrote:

i'd agree with ye there flanzer, i used to be a part-time member of the aint-fog light brigade, but went for an eyetest turned out i was slightly short sighted and when cars were travelling towards me from a distance it was causing even more blurring and so on

anyways, to cut a bit of a story short, i've got glasses for driving only now and i've not had any bit of bother with lights since YAY

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

People not indicating at/on roundabouts can be a little frustrating.

Atleast thats something proper to complain about, the use of roundabouts is a disgrace, i rarely seen any indicating on one and if they do indicate they dont do it properly.

I only run into fog about 3 or 4 times a year so i assume most people run into it the same or not much more anyway but I doubt people buy fog lights cos there thinking about driving through fog, I'm pretty sure there there to look good in most peoples minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Fair rant, but...

...if, as your 'Location' suggests you are going to 'London, In a couple of weeks'. If this is to live, you will need to calm down. A lot more cars=a lot more bad drivers=a lot more 'proper' road rage. Driving in Dublin/Ireland is a world away from driving in London (if you are choosing to do so).

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Gatster wrote:
    Fair rant, but...

...if, as your 'Location' suggests you are going to 'London, In a couple of weeks'. If this is to live, you will need to calm down. A lot more cars=a lot more bad drivers=a lot more 'proper' road rage. Driving in Dublin/Ireland is a world away from driving in London (if you are choosing to do so).

Dowot ??

Worse Drivers in London ???

By worse do you mean, unskilled, dis-regarding of rules, blatantly suicidal overtaking, lack of indictating, sitting in yellow hashed boxes with god-given right, inapproriate use of fog lights, severe tailgaiting & cutting down driver distance, use of the outside lane when nothing inhibits driving on the inside ???

The road-rage is indeed higher and drivers are rather arrogant, yet you have to go a long way to seeing any kind of the behaviour we see here, yes there's bad driving but fer fks sake theres a far greater volume of cars, (the drivers of most, have actually got licences) and the rules of the road governing speeding & bad driving in general (all ye fog-light loving bods pay attention) are greatly enforced by capable, (even may I say polite if a little anal) policemen & women.

Gatster wrote:
    Fair rant, but...

Location is correct, moving over next week :) And believe me I can well believe the driving is far worse :eek: I won't be driving though :D Going to make use of a decent public transport system, even if it is a tab bit more expensive. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Rovi wrote:
    What about those twits with the internal light on inside their horse box?
    And the top rear doors fixed open so that following motorists are blinded by the glaring white light!
    If you MUST leave the light on in the trailer, SHUT THE BLOODY BACK DOORS PROPERLY!

I've actually never seen the light left on by anyone and certainly wouldnt do that myself, unless I forgot to turn it off or something. The doors are normally left open as horses normally get very hot and bothered while travelling and it would get way too hot in there.
    Rovi wrote:

And don't forget to put his blue blanket and teddy bear in there too; it wouldn't do for the stupid lump of unprocessed self propelled dog food to get upset, would it?

That is not very nice. And yes, most people would rather the horse didnt get upset. It would be dangerous for other road users as well as anything else. What is wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

flanzer wrote:

FOG LIGHTS are not there to enhance the look of a car, They're there for FOG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

fits wrote:
    I've actually never seen the light left on by anyone and certainly wouldnt do that myself, unless I forgot to turn it off or something. The doors are normally left open as horses normally get very hot and bothered while travelling and it would get way too hot in there.
    A great many of the horse boxes I encounter have the internal light switched on, and a great many of those have the rear doors open to better blind following motorists.
    Is it beyond the wit of Ifor Williams and all the other trailer builders to make a trailer with proper ventilation?

fits wrote:
    That is not very nice.
    Note the title of the thread.

fits wrote:
    And yes, most people would rather the horse didnt get upset. It would be dangerous for other road users as well as anything else. What is wrong with that?
    Not a thing in the world.
    I don't care if people hang a chandelier in there, or load up half the Vienna Boys Choir to sing lullabies; it's still illegal to show a white light at the rear of a vehicle!

• Advertisement

nereid wrote:
    Well, since the 120kmph speed limit only comes into effect towards the end of most slip roads and not (as some people seem to believe) the second you turn off the roundabout and start heading down it...
    On the bit of motorway I'm most familiar with (M7, Portlaoise bypass), the 120 km/h zones begins very shortly after you leave the roundabout, giving a nice long slip road to accelerate up to motorway cruising speed.
    I'm pretty sure most slip roads are like this, I'll keep an eye out in future to see if I come across any like you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Rovi wrote:
    A great many of the horse boxes I encounter have the internal light switched on, and a great many of those have the rear doors open to better blind following motorists.
    a vehicle!

You must live in a different country to me or something. I've never encountered this and I dont leave the light on myself.
    Rovi wrote:
    Is it beyond the wit of Ifor Williams and all the other trailer builders to make a trailer with proper ventilation?

Just so the lights wont blind you? There really is no need to leave the light on, and certainly no need for ventilation so that people can leave the light on.

I'm sorry you're blinded by this, people driving jeeps with foglights on drive me super mad. My car is fairly low to the ground so I cant see a bloody thing when I meet these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

What annoys me is the people who drive at 40-50km/h BEFORE you try to overtake them and as soon as the indicator goes on the shoe goes down. Why?!!! :mad:

fits wrote:
    You must live in a different country to me or something. I've never encountered this and I dont leave the light on myself.
    Fair enough, and I appreciate that you don't do it and have never seen it, but...
    only this morning as I encountered another one.
    On the N7 north of Mountrath, at about 11.30am, I came up behind an empty (Hunter?) horse box with the tail lights on (a good thing!) and the top doors open and a bright white light on inside.
    Now, it was broad daylight so the light wasn't an issue, but it was the only horse box I encountered on my journey, and surprise, surprise, the interior light was on.

I wasn't in a position to take a picture, so I have no photographic evidence. Sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

The following picture shows one of two possible scenarios:

1. a very foggy day today, down on the M50
    2. tw!t thinks foglights are cool

You choose :v:

DSC03307.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

flanzer wrote:

You are the type of fool that should be banned off the road, why does Irelans seem the only country to have people like this? can think of a few names but can't use personal abuse here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I realise two wrongs don't make a right but when I encounter someone with fog lights on I switch on my hi-beams and drive far enough behind so it's obvious to them. I dip them for on-coming traffic obviously. Some gobsh!tes don't cop on and put on their hazards and slow down - twits. For these I overtake them and put on my fog lights and slow doen to a crawl just to get the point across . . . I know childish but there's a perverse sense of justice from it . . . :D

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AnTaoiseach

last night I saw a horse box, in the dark and the only light on the back was the white light in the box. Of course the woman driving the jeep was on the phone and steering with her elbows....

how specific can I be here? can I post reg numbers/make model and location and time etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah don't make a formal ID unless you're willing to make a complaint to the Gardai.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

And please do make that complaint. Numpties like that should get a lifetime ban imho.

Advertisement