Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The All-Purpose "Have a Rant and a Rave" Thread incorporating Pet Hates (merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Okay So I need to get some things off my chest. I am sure many of them are in this thread already but I aint got time to read it all. Here's my Top Ten !!!!!!

1: People with no or bad lights. Okay anyone can have a fuse or bulb blow but every day on the M50 I see cars with their back lights on and no lights in front or visa versa. Recently I saw a guy on the M50 at 11pm with no front or back lights working except for one rear fog lamp !!!!

2: People driving at 50 mph in the fast lane of the motorway when there is no car visible in the inside lane for at least a half a mile. When will people in this country learn that the outside lane is for overtaking and that once the inside lane is clear you move back into it.

3: Cyclists: Obviously cyclists are paying such high insurance and taxation that the rules of the road dont apply to them. I used to work beside UCD and would see hundreds of bikes come out of the college in the dark in the winter with no lights. One guy went accross the bonnet of one of my work colleagues car one evening when she was driving out the gate of the office.

Cyclists rarely stop for red lights or pedestrian crossings

4: Foreign reg cars (NI,UK/Latvia/Poland etc etc ) driving like absolute lunatics as they seem to be above and beyond all of our laws.

5: Bloody do gooders with Nissan Micras running on chip shop grease who constantly tells me that my SUV is ruining the planet and killing ten thousand acres of rainforest in Brazil. Why dont they f*** **f to Brazil and spend their life planting a few more acres

6: The Government : I think it should be mandatory that each week one minister goes (not in a chauffeur driven Merc but in his own car with him/her driving) to Tallaght , at around 12 noon to 2 pm, and turns Northbound onto the M50 as if they were heading to the airport to catch a plane. Maybe three hours later when they still hadnt reached the airport someone might do something about our road network

7: National Toll Roads : The guy who runs this and regularly goes on TV and tells us that "the toll plaza is not responsible for the tailbacks on the M50" deserves a medal/oscar etc for having the biggest brass balls in history. The guy obviously is a Government Minister in disguise as it is obvious he has never sat in a jam on the M50.

8: Clampers who clamp cars in the middle of the night around Merrion Square, particularly on the south end of it where it is obvoius that the majority of cars there at 6-10 am on a Saturday morning are people in visiting or attending at Holles St Hospital.

9: Garages who alter log books, wind back clocks etc. Yes they are still out there and the Gardai should throw the book at them. If one clocked car is found in a garage the place should be closed and all their stock confiscated and sold, the proceeds going into the fund for victims of uninsured drivers.

10: Drink Drivers of all and any Kind : Self Explanatory

Thanks for listening . I feel so much better now!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

1: People with no or bad lights. Okay anyone can have a fuse or bulb blow but every day on the M50 I see cars with their back lights on and no lights in front or visa versa. Recently I saw a guy on the M50 at 11pm with no front or back lights working except for one rear fog lamp !!!!

There's a WRX wannabe that parks near the school where I collect my kid. It has a high spoiler with a stop light integrated into it. Shortly after the car was new the red cover for the light was lost. 8 months later she still hasn't replaced it - result bright white light at the rear when she breaks. Oh and she also insists on parking across the clearly marked and signposted pedestrian crossing during school opening and closing times - her kids are so much more important than everyone elses !! To top it all her and her teenage daughter wear these Jackets with AGIP and GTX all over them !!! It's a friggin' wannabe WRX ffs.

D'ya know you're right, it does feel better !!

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why the feck do local authorities think its nice to festoon roundabouts with flowering shrubs and the like when all it does is obscure the view of traffic approaching from the opposite side!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just noticed yesterday when getting off the M50 northbound at Kilternan, there's a 60km/h limit sign about a 1/3 of the way up the off ramp, and then another 1/3 of the way along a 50km/h sign ???!!! WTF is that all about? It's only about 100 m long FFS. Is there a sale on 60km/h signs at the sign making factory or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

SUV drivers.

It would be nice if owners of such took the time to find out about the dimensions of their new and rather large vehicle before trying to park.

And on hitting a car in dunnes car park (obvious habitat for such potent machines), please leave your phone number and an admission of liability.

• Advertisement

Oh dear....:(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

mike65 wrote:
    Why the feck do local authorities think its nice to festoon roundabouts with flowering shrubs and the like when all it does is obscure the view of traffic approaching from the opposite side!

Mike.
    They've finally cut the hedge right back at the first Balbriggan exit on the M1. As nice as it was, it was impossible to see if there was anything coming over the motorway as you came up the off-ramp. Even stopped at the roundabout at the top of the ramp, you couldn't be absolutely sure there was nothing coming without driving halfway out....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

joeblogg1 wrote:

3: Cyclists: Obviously cyclists are paying such high insurance and taxation that the rules of the road dont apply to them. I used to work beside UCD and would see hundreds of bikes come out of the college in the dark in the winter with no lights. One guy went accross the bonnet of one of my work colleagues car one evening when she was driving out the gate of the office.

Cyclists rarely stop for red lights or pedestrian crossings
    Cyclists are a motorpedestro hybrid to be precise and therfore can proceed at a green pedestrian crossing or green traffic light
    joeblogg1 wrote:
    5: Bloody do gooders with Nissan Micras running on chip shop grease who constantly tells me that my SUV is ruining the planet and killing ten thousand acres of rainforest in Brazil. Why dont they f*** **f to Brazil and spend their life planting a few more acres
    Nice and all as SUV's are I think only a handful in this country are Lexus RX400h which gives the Micra owners a valid point
    joeblogg1 wrote:
    9: Garages who alter log books, wind back clocks etc. Yes they are still out there and the Gardai should throw the book at them. If one clocked car is found in a garage the place should be closed and all their stock confiscated and sold, the proceeds going into the fund for victims of uninsured drivers.
    Have you considered that this would mean no garage in the country would be open. It's the same as counterfit cash, once it gets into the system it's very difficult to remove. A garage could take a trade in of such a car as most salesmen don't even look at the car before taking a trade-in never mind the clock or log book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

THE SUV THREAD

UM GRR ARGH UM

GET A LIFE

all better ahh

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

zuutroy wrote:
    As for th brake light thing- I drive an auto so I never take it out of 'D' at the lights, but my brake lights are far from blinding.

I drive an automatic too. If you leave it in D at the lights or in traffic jams you are going to wear out your automatic clutch, because the engine is struggling against the brake. And I don't believe your brake lights aren't blinding. If you have a high-level LED brake-light it is certainly blinding, and if your car is less than 10 years old your other brake lights are probably blinding too. Use your handbrake. Everyone wins.

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote:
    I don't mind fog lights at all! I think when on, they do enhance the looks of a car (3/5 series Beemers spring to mind) I have mine on all the time on the new Golf.

Bollo(ks to that. You are no different from some little prat in a Fiesta with a noisy exhaust and spoilers. Your car is not an extension of your penis, and no-one thinks that because you have four lights on instead of two you have a bigger cock.

Thats enough cock - ed.

Mike.

OK, sorry, but I stand by the sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Rant:-

Saw all types of stuff yesterday on the drive into and back from college - cyclists breaking lights while going against traffic on the leftmost lane of a two lane road (I kid you not! Clanbrassil St.), unlit cyclists wearing dark clothing in the pitch dark while it was raining (these idiots are giving all of us cyclists a bad name), wanton light breaking and ignorance by motorists, and then to cap it all, an idiot overtaking me in heavy traffic and heavy rain on the way back out Clanbrassil St. by moving into a right filter lane and bullying his way back in, in front of me, just squeezing past the traffic lights which were facing him, into a non-existent gap between me and a truck in front of me. Unbelievable.

Now, it's all well and good that the Garda Traffic Corps have 28 brand new veh-ickles on the road ready for St. Paddy's weekend and all that ... but why in the name of all that is holy does everybody that sees one (regardless of which side they're on!) on the motorway suddenly feel the need to suddenly brake from a perfectly legal 120km/h to 80km/h for no good reason ???!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Alun wrote:
    Now, it's all well and good that the Garda Traffic Corps have 28 brand new veh-ickles on the road ready for St. Paddy's weekend and all that ... but why in the name of all that is holy does everybody that sees one (regardless of which side they're on!) on the motorway suddenly feel the need to suddenly brake from a perfectly legal 120km/h to 80km/h for no good reason ???!!!

Or when they see a one of the speed camera's find it necessary to jam on brake till doing about 60k to go past it, this happens daily on N3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Alun wrote:
    ...suddenly feel the need to suddenly brake from a perfectly legal 120km/h to 80km/h for no good reason ???!!!

Because people 1 mile behind see all the brake lights and know to ease back a little. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ChristyBrown

I have been waiting a while now to vent my frustrations so here we go...

1 - Fog lights......why do people insist on driving with fog lights when there's no fog?? - esp. on wet black tarmac they create a glare that blinds oncoming traffic (esp. on back roads with no street lighting) - consult the cars owners manual "TURN OFF FOG LIGHTS WHEN NO THERE IS NO FOG".

2. Parked cars , facing oncoming traffic leaving their headlights on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I pet hate at the moment is people (especially taxi's) slowly edging out from the white line when they have a red light. I've seen some cars nearly in the middle of the junction doing this and its very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I have been waiting a while now to vent my frustrations so here we go...

1 - Fog lights......why do people insist on driving with fog lights when there's no fog?? - esp. on wet black tarmac they create a glare that blinds oncoming traffic (esp. on back roads with no street lighting) - consult the cars owners manual "TURN OFF FOG LIGHTS WHEN NO THERE IS NO FOG".

2. Parked cars , facing oncoming traffic leaving their headlights on

Fog lights aren't that bad, I was running near Dundrum last night when it was raining, and the cars with fog lights were grand, I could still see, but the amount of cars with headlights not aimed properly, they were blinding me. And the same for in the car on the way home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I hate when someone in front of you is turning right and they dont pull out to the white line allowing you to pass on their left. These people are simpletons and this is indicative of their poor driving.

Fogs are less annoying in built up , well light areas as their affects are diminished.....just found this on net...

"Drive with your headlights on in bad weather. (Rule: wipers on - headlights on.) A car is much more visible to other drivers when the headlights are on. Don't worry about burning out your headlights - they are much cheaper than even a slight accident. Also note that parking lights are for parking, not for bad weather driving. Parking lights have less than 5% of the visibility of headlights. Fog lights are usually not necessary in bad weather either, many times they just make things worse for you and blind others even further, the same goes for high beams."

Perhaps this might be better in this sticky thread, specifically set up for this purpose?

just thought of another one...

roads that have smooth little "block" (not continuous) ramps where its possible to drive over them without braking (ie maintain steady speed and align your cars wheels to each end (left to right) of these ramps)..and some people feel the need to hit them square of with their wheels - does common sense not prevail???

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I hate when theres a lane for turning left/right and cars pull up in it and drive straight and try merge back in to skip a few cars or fly off at the lights to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Front Fog lights in no Fog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

just thought of another one...

roads that have smooth little "block" (not continuous) ramps where its possible to drive over them without braking (ie maintain steady speed and align your cars wheels to each end (left to right) of these ramps)..and some people feel the need to hit them square of with their wheels - does common sense not prevail???

Why does that bother you? (unless they are using your car or that you are a passenger in the cars in question!). I couldn't care less if other drivers do it - it dosen't affect me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Front fog lights in no Fog!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Front fogs aren't that bad, it's rear fog lights that get me, it burns your eyes and forces you to overtake the idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I hate when someone in front of you is turning right and they dont pull out to the white line allowing you to pass on their left. These people are simpletons and this is indicative of their poor driving.
    This one, rear fogs & driving at exactly 120kph in the outside lane of the motorway.

Advertisement