Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The All-Purpose "Have a Rant and a Rave" Thread incorporating Pet Hates (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

indicators-i belive noadays they are optional extras on cars so ppl dont get them instead get a set of floor mats put in

what is the problem ppl use them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Mortmain wrote:
    I hate when people on the road don't drive exactly how i would like them to drive at that precise moment - inconsiderate ba*tards!

I agree,

When I am in a calm mood, with loads of time on my hands I like everyone to drive nicely, just about 5Kmh below the limits, ah sure there is no rush.

But when I am in a bad mood, and/or a rush, by god you lot had better put the f**king foot down or get the hell outta my way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Lex Luthor wrote:
    This one, rear fogs & driving at exactly 120kph in the outside lane of the motorway.

what you mean sticking to the actual speed limit?????? which brings me onto my pet hate, people speeding and using bus lanes (even worse is when they do both together)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

SPEED KILLS!

this point is just not getting across to some (most?) drivers.

there was a great documentry a couple of years ago on BBC (or C4, whatever) and they tried to find out what causes road accidents. They investigated everything.... driver skill, car & road & weather conditions, etc And every time it came back to speed.

If you are in a car with air-bags, you will go a few mph faster
    If council straighten or widen the road, you will go a few mph faster
    If car is new and sound-proof and easy ride, you will go faster
    Road accidents is higher among 'trained' drivers than among regular drivers (they think they are better and take more risks)
    Road accidents are higher in summer than winter (despite better conditions) as people go faster when road is dry and sun shining

Some reccomendations from this programme:
    Put petrol tank in the front of the car and put sticker on dash saying it is there! you wont do 100k on an 80k road then!
    Put spike on stearing wheel..... you wont speed then!
    Dont improve soundproofing! Who used to go 100k in the old boneshaker they started on, when the wind whistled through the gaps and windows? Cars should fell like you are doing 100 when you are really dong 80, instead of feeling like 80 when doing 100!

Also, you dont need to wear seatbelts, or make your kids wear seatbelts if you are a good driver!! If you are great, then you can see all obsticles comming, see around corners, know the future and react with F1 driver speed even though you only drive for an hour or two or three per day! If all other cars on the road .... and I mean 100% of the thousand that you come within a stones throw of each day..... are well maintained, serviced regularly, driven by experienced drivers who are not on the phone, not tired, not shaving / applying makeup, paying attention and not hypnotized by the road (I must admit this happens to me sometimes, I am not a saint by any stretch of the imagination) and who are looking in the right direction, and are going to brake before the last second AND give some sort of indication as to where they are going...... then I dont have any worries, do I? lol

....this post is longer than I expected, but once you start...

one last thing......
    If you love your kids, belt them!

the number of parents that let kids travel without seatbelts, and then say 'but little Tommy doesnt like it on' .... I mean, who is the adult / responsable one? Do they let kid stay at home and miss school because he doesnt like it? Do they withhold medicine because he doesnt like it? Afterall, kids can decide themselves whats safe in this world, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I realy cannot stand sqinty eyed, inbred, window-licking, slackjawed KNACKERS in ricer sh*tboxes driving up my hole at 120kph in the inside lane with NOTHING in the overtaking lane:mad:

WTF is wrong with these fcukwits?????

Realy wish there was an open season where I could take the dirty bastards out-2 weeks would be good:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Squirrel wrote:
    Were there any cars in the driving lane when the polish BMW passed you, were you actually overtaking or just driving in the overtaking lane?

In the last 3 months I have twice reported East European (or whatever is the correct Irish Times name for them) drivers to the Guards for seriously dangerous driving (one for overtaking 4 cars at once, all of them driving at the legal limit, on a single white line; the other for tailgating me and swerving in and out in a 60 kph zone when I had my cruise control set at the max and then overtaking me at about 80 kph and overtaking another car dangerously in an urban area), and both times the tone of voice and body language of the Guards made it clear that I was wasting their time and pissing them off. Presumably I was delaying them from setting up a speed trap on the N11 or the M1 where they could catch those of us who pay taxes in this country. Lazy ****ers.

just thought of another one...

roads that have smooth little "block" (not continuous) ramps where its possible to drive over them without braking (ie maintain steady speed and align your cars wheels to each end (left to right) of these ramps)..and some people feel the need to hit them square of with their wheels - does common sense not prevail???

Actually they might be right. Some cars are not wide enough to straddle those ramps. I read somewhere that if you try to take them left-and-right, and both wheels hit the edges of the ramp, it will put out your alignment after a while. It seems it is actually a better idea to hit them with one wheel and make sure your other wheel is on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭mell61

Pet hate....

bloody €40-80k 06 reg cars with the driver on the shagging mobile.....
    Can you say HANDS FREE KIT....

Mind you it does prove that is it all fur coat and no knickers, as my mum would say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I was doing 40mph / actually breaking the 60kph limit on the Ring road around Limerick between Clonmacken and Coonagh Roundabouts in Limerick this evedning around 8pm, when an Articulatred truck tried to push me on then flashed his lights at me as he overtook about 600m from the Coonagh roundabout befroe turning onto the Dual-Carriageway to Shannon/Galway.

It was a green 05 fleet truck with the company name on the back. but if I report this will anything actually be done.

It is a norm to do 50mph/80k on this road and that should probably be the limit, but I was only trying to stay within the law.

And people only complain about young male drivers!!!!! Typical

Polish artic cut in in front of me on the Whitford roundabout in Wexford this evening. I clearly had the right of way but had to brake to let the bastard through. This is the fourth "non-national" from Eastern Europe who has made me take evasive action since January. I am starting to regret the collapse of the Soviet Union. At least they couldn't afford cars then and weren't allowed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ninety9er Yeah, always make a complaint - even if it's in a letter to the company, or a phone call. If the cops had seen what happened, they'd have done the driver (hopefully) for careless-driving (or maybe that should be dangerous-driving since it's an artic, after all.

My beefs with communters this morning:
    On the Lucan road this morning at about 0720, just after "the old rectory road" joins it, artic and four cars in front of me - we take off from lights, make progress at 60kph (the limit there, I think). A silver Passat behind me, who had been sitting on my bumper since Strawberry Beds, overtakes on the bend (single white unbroken line there, and buslane on the left) causing some woman waiting from "Chalet Gardens" to have to reverse back to avoid him. He manages to get in in front of the lorry - just avoiding a car coming towards him who had to jam the brakes on. Nice work.

The Gardai would make a fortune if they ever managed to catch that guy, people who do that sort of thing tend to be repeat offenders. They'd also make a fortune if they did nothing but sit on the N3 and N4 catching people misusing the bus-lanes. Have the tickets pre-printed, and slap them on the driver's forehead, and send him/her on their way

• Registered Users Posts: 28 102091101

I can't stand boy racers, to use a generic term

I'm 22 , male and subsidising those idiots with my insurance.

It's retarded. Every friday they get the paycheque and enough money to fill the tank and terrorise the roads.

I'm an advocate of speed . I believe in variable limit depending on the road condition and car (safe braking distance decreases as the exspense of the car rises)

But these guys push beyond limits, pull off dangerous manouvres and don't even look in their mirrors unless they want to see their own tiresmoke...
    I see the same cars every week same roads and i swear the gardai are either complicit or incompetent....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Was the Cannonball Run on this weekend or something. Because I have seen some of the worst feckin driving in my life over this weekend...

I thought the prospect of garda presence might be a deterrent but it failed.

From New Ross to Waterford, some middle age old bag driving her gold merc in the middle of a climbing lane and the regular lane... This deserved a quick blast of the headlights....

Then further on some crazy bítch in an Almera tried overtaking me on the road from New Ross to Clonroche - near the Clonroache side - Granted it was a short straight stretch but i fail to understand why when the rest of the road (up till the new single lane stretch) is ****e... What progress will she make. I ended up hitting the horn for about 5 seconds following by a two-fingered salute (something I wouldnt normally do) coz she wound me up so much...

Then some young muppet in a 97 Rover (with full and fog lights on at 8am) tries to overtake me past Enniscorthy - ending up doing about 80mph on a hatched island....

I dunno.... Anybody else have see any mad stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Very hard to explain this but I'll give it a shot,

On a major road in Limerick (Childers Road) I was sitting at a red light on Sunday ( for those who know Limerick it was outside TBA where the new road joins the Childers Road). minding my own business when a car from my left his light was green came speeding up to go right pulled a handbrake and proceeded to go in the opposite direction which is an illegal left turn he skimmed a 06 Jeep in front of me, he gave us all an awful fright but none of us got his reg unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have a bit of a confession to make over the w-end on the M4 in-bound passing a car doing the legal limit and got a puncture as this was on a bend where the mad looking art crap is on the road the car swung about half a foot infront of the car in front scaring the bejesus out of all concerned. I know this sounds weird but as the tracking was a bit screwed up on the car at the time I didnt relasize I had a puncture untill lucan :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As this sounds like a bit of a rant I'll merge this with the offcial sticky :)

Mike.

Drax wrote:
    Then some young muppet in a 97 Rover (with full and fog lights on at 8am) tries to overtake me past Enniscorthy - ending up doing about 80mph on a hatched island....

Driving a 97 Rover with a teenager's testosterone level must be a combination that would blow the mind of the average boy racer. That poor little bastard has an awful lot to prove to himself, and will probably be dead quite soon.

gardai stopped the missus for taking an admittidly illegal right turn (even though it's a perfectly safe one to take that poses no risk of accident), anyways they were hiding around the corner stopping LOADS of cars and churning out the 60 blip fines

i suppose this is their idea of a road safety blitz :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

People who indicate "right turn" when going straight on at a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

On the N4 this afternoon, going westbound over the M50 roundabout.
    There's 3 lanes on that roundabout.
    The left two are to go straight ahead, and the right hand one is strictly for turning right on to the Northbound M50.

Every single day, loads of drivers overtake the people who properly queue up on the left & middle lanes, to try and overtake them on the roundabout and cut in.
    This black woman driver.... was in the middle lane, only about 3 cars from the (red) traffic lights.. She moves out into the empty right hand lane, which was clearly marked as M50 only. I'm about 6 cars from the lights, in the middle lane.

As the lights change, we all start moving, and shes driving real slow.
    Going up to the (N4) roundabout exit, we're still in separate lanes, with the nose of my car is about in line with the back of her car.
    She leaves the right hand lane and crosses straight over into my lane.... no indicators.... no warning.... cuts me up, with barely inches to spare.

I absolutely leant on the horn...
    She didn't even have any L-plates.... probably no license or insurance either.
    God... I should've taken her number. Driving some plain old green saloon.

If someone were to market a dashboard webcam, powered by the cigarette lighter, to record at least 2 hours of footage, for under EUR 150, I'd buy one. I'm sure they'd be admissable in court.

Okay... rant over......... I'm becoming a motorist racist.... is the a term for that yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

OMcGovern wrote:
    If someone were to market a dashboard webcam, powered by the cigarette lighter, to record at least 2 hours of footage, for under EUR 150, I'd buy one. I'm sure they'd be admissable in court.

What about home made ?

Or Pro Made ?

Might be a good business idea too ?!

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

In a nutshell:

Boy Racers (as a previous poster said, I'm 19 and I've got to suffer with high insurance becasue of these speeding bastards)
    Tailgaters
    Honda Civic drivers
    BMW Drivers
    Anyone with a fart can exhaust (I guess that's covered in the boy racer category)
    Speeders
    Bascially anyone else on the road............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I only recently got my car(had it since feb) but since I got it I've been pulled over 3 times(allways unmarked cars), stopped at speed traps for no reason twice and Clamped at ten min to 7 in a pay and display zone! I'm beginning to think its cheaper, and less hassle, to hire a fatman to ride to work...
    By the way my car is a 94 black mitsubishi colt...I supose I do look rather the drug dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

miju wrote:
    gardai stopped the missus for taking an admittidly illegal right turn (even though it's a perfectly safe one to take that poses no risk of accident), anyways they were hiding around the corner stopping LOADS of cars and churning out the 60 blip fines

i suppose this is their idea of a road safety blitz :-(

Pet hate, people who complain about the rules of the road being enforced.

it is no right turn for a reason. Whether or not you agree with it and whether or not you feel you know more about road planning that the people that made the decision an illegal right turn is just that.

Perhaps all those people will think twice about making an illegal turn somewhere or sometime when it is not so safe.

Chris

dude, in fairness to myself i didn't defend my other half for taking the turn, my gripe was at the time of posting that there was a high profile "safety blitz" going on which in reality turned out to be Gardai hiding behind a corner churning out fines to all and sundry, i get what your saying about not taking illegal turns in future but to be honest with most drivers will look before they take a turn whether it's legal or not

incdently seing as how you mention road planning, because of that right turn not being allowed a hell of alot more traffic goes onto an already heavily congested road in order to turn around and then go up that road, so eh no i also dont think it's the best of planning either

by the way where this happened is in east wall when your coming from fairview underneath that bridge that got hit by a truck taking the illegal turn to go onto the road into east point business park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish people would close thier doors before driving off.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Saw some dozey girl in a mini (the new fake german ones) with her fog lights on, at about 9:30am on what was probably the nicest morning we've had in Limerick this year. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Any sh1t who does something potentially fatal when I am nearby

Last Tuesday I'm on M50 Southbound in driving lane doing 125 k's. Approaching Tallaght exit look in mirror see car closing fast in overtaking lane, it passes me then cuts straight across my lane and the hatching and up the slip road he missed me by about 2 metre only because i twigged what he was going to do in time and braked hard.

couldn't get his reg to report him, to busy avoiding the cnut!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

everybody has a right to use the road but it gets me some times when a padestrian is crossing a road sees a car comming beginds a littl jog so i iestimate that they will get there before i do but just about half way there to the other side of the road they slow down to a crawl. If they walked across the whole street ok or run across the whole street ok but don do both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

About 3 years ago while driving with my sister in her corsa i noticed that her rear fog light symbol on the dash was on, it was around christmas but wasnt a dark day and def wasnt foggy. she proceded to ask me what did i mean? "you see that orange light on the dash?", "yes" "well that means your rear fog light is on!" "no" she says, "Thats the light for my rear demister". "where is the button for your rear demister" i asked, she pointed at the button for the fog lights. i then proceeded to convince her that it was not the button for the demister and that the pulling out the fan button turns on the rear demister. She had been driving this car for over 2 years. she also figured out why ppl were flashing her and beeping her for that period. Now she drives a 3 series BMW coupe Yikes, there is a lot more buttons in that car to get mixed up. She was told not to push the button that turns off the ABS "EVER!!!"

Advertisement