Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The All-Purpose "Have a Rant and a Rave" Thread incorporating Pet Hates (merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D Wimmin!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

The 60Km/PH limit at Kilmacanogue - although I stick to the limit, I find it a bit pointless and there's always speed-traps on the northbound stretch, suppose something has to pay for the garda christmas party!

Cyclists on sliproads of dual-carriageways. A number of times I've come on to a sliproad and started to build up speed to join the flow but some lycra-clad eejit gets in the way. Either that or they cross exits without looking.

People bullying 'L' drivers who are obviously under instruction. I've seen this way too often and it amazes me to see the number of smart-arses that were lucky enough to be born with a full licence.

AOB: Westlink, extra bright headlights, SUVs on school runs, I could go on but I need sleep!

One last thing, I was heading south on the M50 from the M1 roundabout a short while back, lucky enough to have been able to do the full 120Km/PH, when just up ahead a lorry pulled sharply into the overtaking lane. I soon saw what the problem was - some old dear in a Micra was dawdling along at what must've been between 60 and 80km/PH :eek:. There were cars behind me doing 120 and a line of cars in the overtaking lane so I was caught between a rock and a hard place. Just managed to get out into the o/taking lane in time. Bloody dangerous this is and one probable cause for a pile up. Is there not a minimum speed on motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The motors thread seems to be devoted more to endless repetitive rants about dangerous driving/speeding/dangerous driving/provisional drivers/dangerous driving/muppet gardaí/dangerous driving than things with engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

maidhc wrote:
    The motors thread seems to be devoted more to endless repetitive rants about dangerous driving/speeding/dangerous driving/provisional drivers/dangerous driving/muppet gardaí/dangerous driving than things with engines.

I agree
    think
    boards.ie > Rec > Motors
    should be broken into 2 or more sections
    ie
    boards.ie > Rec > Motors > engine probs
    boards.ie > Rec > Motors > buying
    boards.ie > Rec > Motors > where to get
    and i guess
    boards.ie > Rec > Motors > Ranting:D
    boards.ie > Rec > Motors > Raving:D
    boards.ie > Rec > Motors > some more ranting maybe!:D :D

Tractors! In fact two tractors line a-stern!!!!!! :mad: Why the fvck don't hicks in the sticks have the wit to go out say 3 mins apart so the rest of us have a fair chance of getting past the feckers?

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Tractors! In fact two tractors line a-stern!!!!!! :mad: Why the fvck don't hicks in the sticks have the wit to go out say 3 mins apart so the rest of us have a fair chance of getting past the feckers?

Mike.

Because they are 16, just got their provisional and on a powertrip.

feckingtractors.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Indicators on roundabouts. The number of people who think you indicate right just before exiting a roundabout is astonishing!

Whats more, why would they think you should indicate right before turning at the second exit? There's nothing on Gods earth to suggest it makes sense.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    I thank the Lord that Sugar beet is no more! They used to drive 5 in a convoy up and down to Carlow. It was soul destroying.

BTW Mike where was that Pic taken? N9 or N10 me guesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

mike65 wrote:
    Whats more, why would they think you should indicate right before turning at the second exit? There's nothing on Gods earth to suggest it makes sense.

Mike.

Maybe this helps explain it:

"AS MANY as four out of five learner drivers turn up for their driving test without having taken lessons beforehand."
    From todays Indo:
    Some motorists never learn

So presumably they don't bother reading the Rules of the Road either.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

My major pet hate at the moment is people who pull out junctions along N roads and use the hard shoulder as a merging lane. The Carrickmacross bypass in Co. Monaghan reall takes the piss. They've designed the road so that you can only ever turn left ie so you never go across the road. People seem to think that because they can only turn one direction, that they don't need to stop, ignoring the stop sign and the stop line. The hard shoulder is actuall guite narrow at the junctions and they have to come out in front of cars and serve back in to the hard shoulder to speed up. I've had more near misses on this one stretch of road. The guards had to issue a statement after a number of accidents reminding people that they're suppose to stop. It hasn't made one bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Roundabouts:
    At the millenium park roundabout in Naas, there is an ambulance depot nearby, I have seen the drivers (not in an emergency situation) taking the third exit and not using any indicators at all! Professional drivers my ass :rolleyes:

My current big pet hate is dicks using the non-operational buslane on the nangor road.
    They cross a solid white line to enter it, without indicating,
    They accelerate beyond the speed limit and overtake on the left,
    They ignore the YIELD sign, the dashed line and their indicators and force their way back into the traffic at the end of the lane. And if you resist them (which I always do, sucessfully), they get thick like they have a god-given-right to get to their destination quicker than everyone else.

But, I saw a Classic the other morning, some stupid blonde cow in a Nissan Pathfinder thing drove all te way up on the non existant bus lane, and near the top she decides to merge by crossing the solid white line. Anyway the traffic she is merging into was stationary, so she sat there waiting, and none of the other pr1cks could get by her. So she obviously feels she is above waiting in line like the rest of us, and then she holds up all the other impatient gits because she'd like to change lane for no apparent reason......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

prospect wrote:
    and then she holds up all the other impatient gits because she'd like to change lane for no apparent reason......

So two wrongs do make a right then :)

Bond-007 wrote:
    I thank the Lord that Sugar beet is no more! They used to drive 5 in a convoy up and down to Carlow. It was soul destroying.

BTW Mike where was that Pic taken? N9 or N10 me guesses.

Nope, on the N24 between Bansha and Tipp town, if you get stuck behind anything on that 8 km you have to learn to chill out. Which I don't.

Mike.

Oh and another thing! :mad: Slow coaches, who will not use the hard shoulder properly. Today I had an example someone towing a horse box was half on and half off the driving lane. The hard shoulder was wide and smooth (N25) and he just sat there.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

This sign bugs me every day-junction of the Swords rd and Collins Avenue on Collins avenue coming from Artane. Both these lanes have to turn right.

sillysign.jpg

A bit too late to tell people what lane they should be in! (the sign is at the junction)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

mike65 wrote:
    Oh and another thing! :mad: Slow coaches, who will not use the hard shoulder properly. Today I had an example someone towing a horse box was half on and half off the driving lane. The hard shoulder was wide and smooth (N25) and he just sat there.

Mike.

I tow regularly, and it is common courtesy to move over as often as possible, and as far as possible. Mostly because I get irritated by guys hovering 2 feet from my trailer, and I am sure they are irritated being stuck behind a slower vehicle. So I let them pass as safely as possible, and everyone is happy.

However, isn't it technically illegal to move over into the hard shoulder to let someone pass? Therefore in a case where someone wont move over, they are really doing nothing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

I finally saw it, only yesterday. A car indicated 'right' before entering the roundabout, even though they were taking the first exit! Who is teaching these people this, or where are they picking it up from?

prospect wrote:
    However, isn't it technically illegal to move over into the hard shoulder to let someone pass? Therefore in a case where someone wont move over, they are really doing nothing wrong?

Nope its fine to "blend" in and out to allow traffic to pass, just dont stay there.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sorry this is another rant. What is it with drivers who just amble out of side roads when there are cars approching. Typical scenario - I'm doing 100 km/h on a straight section of national primary road. About 200 yards up ahead some eejit who *has* to have seen me coming (that's assuming he bothered to look) pulls out of a side road and then takes an age to accelerate. There's no real danger of a crash but I have to brake and/or overtake the idiot. Now AFAIC when you pull out of a side road you should give way to other vehicles and not cause them to brake, alter their course etc. The most annoying thing about it is that often the road behind me is traffic free. So if the eejit were to just wait a couple of seconds before dawdling out he'd be able to do so without impeding anyone. In a situation where the traffic is continuous I'd be more forgiving of someone pulling out into a gap which isn't really big enough as otherwise they might never get out. But when you're the only car on the road it's extremely annoying

I think many of these drivers cannot judge speed/distance. They see an approching car 200 yards away and think "sure he's miles away" :rolleyes: and are completlyl ignorant of the fact that at 100 km/h he'll be on top of them in seconds.

Another related one - there's an obstruction on the road (parked car etc.) Traffic has to cross the white line to get around it. For some reason drivers seem to think it's acceptable to just drive onto the wrong side of the road and force any oncoming traffic to brake or come to a dead stop. Have these morons no concept of right of way, priority, giving way etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Sauce

I have to agree with everything you have said. This annoys me so much and I see it all the time.

Another thing I have noticed is alot of drivers when they are pulled into the side of the road seem to think they have the right of way on the road when pulling out again as soon as they put on there indicator. Just the other day I was approaching a van that was pulled into the side of the road. The van was off the road but as soon as I was about to pass the van the driver put on his indicator and pulled out, forcing me to swerve over to the other side of the road. I was just lucky nothing was coming in the other direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I'm with you on this one DrianD3.

I've noticed also these drivers who pull out in front of you (usually without stopping) invariably take the next turn OFF the road they've just pulled onto!

(I'm beginning to get the impression that it's locals who pull out the most)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'll second that rant.

I had a elderly neighbour once who never stopped before joining a main road.

His famous line was "Shur I suppose there is nothing coming". He caused a few accidents! :)

God love him, he also thought a chequebook allowed you to make money for nothing, and lost his farm over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have to say that it is often middle aged and elderly people that do this alright. My Da does it all the time and it drives me bananas when I'm in the car with him. When I point out that he's just pulled out and impeded someone behind he'll say something like
    "ah sure what's his hurry"
    or
    "ah sure can't he see me pulling out, hasn't he plenty of time to slow down"

This just shows the mentality of a large proportion of drivers on the road.

Also usually when someone pulls out like I've decribed they're driving a Corolla, Almera or Jetta/Vento/Bora.

One day a guy in a 911 Turbo did it to me, pulled out when I was almost on top of him. Was just about to brake and give him a blast of the horn but he knew what he was doing, accelerated away so quickly that I didn't have to slow down at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Anan1 wrote:
    I'll second that rant.

I'll third it!!
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

That's a major peeve for me too, them and drivers who join a Motorway or dual carriageway from a slip road and just pull straight across into the overtaking lane. No indicators or owt.

Then when you flash them, you get the bird! Fu<king kills me.

Happened today with a fat blonde bint in a silver civic who joined the M50 at Bray and then proceeded to braketest me for flashing as she crossed into my path. She then refused to pull into the inside lane until she was coming off the M50 at Sandyford.

When I tried using the inside lane myself she constantly encroached into that lane too.

I'm sorry I didn't take her reg, but it's hard to drive behind someone like that and write at the same time.

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Oh, those ****ers. I hate them. Happens to me regularly coming into Maynooth.

One particular instance involved a "lady" driver in a Mitsubishi Spacewagon full of kids. Pulled out in front of me meaning that I almost nearly rear-ended her. Guess what the "lady" does next? Slams on the brakes, I assume because she thinks I'm too close. I showed great restraint, I have to say, and did absolutely nothing except wishing all the worst for her crappy motor.

Ahhhhhhhhh :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

The no-indicators thing really drives me mental coz you can never be too sure as to what they're gonna do- half edging out onto my lane. It's probably my fault for not be telepathic though. Sure god love them, you can't expect them to be able to use their indicators AND their mobile phone at the same time, they only have 2 hands.

Advertisement