Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The All-Purpose "Have a Rant and a Rave" Thread incorporating Pet Hates (merged)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Mitsubishi Spacewagon full of kids

'nuff said!

*Sorry bout the repost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have to say I hate that so much, or people who park way too close to a corner and you cant see a thing pulling out cos they are blocking your view.

I also hate tools who pull onto the outsdie lane of a big round about and prevent you from taking the exit you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Vegeta wrote:
    I also hate tools who pull onto the outsdie lane of a big round about and prevent you from taking the exit you want.

Lets not get started on that topic again!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, that annoys me too. People still don't seem to be able to use slip roads though. Pretty much every time I join a motorway, anyone who was behind me coming onto the slip road is at least 250m behind me and falling behind even more. How can the concept of "Fast moving traffic, accelerate to its speed and join" be lost on so many people?

I have a tendency to be a little aggressive when it comes to overtaking objects on my side of the road, and the road is wide with a broken white line. A lot of people simple don't use their brains and realise, "Oh, if I wasn't driving on the white line, those people could overtake that parked van, and all the traffic would continue to flow easily, with little or no hassle to me". So if there's enough room (and time), I tend to just pull out and let the other driver panic if they can't see there's enough room.
    I'm wary about doing it to learners, little old ladies and SUV drivers though, who can sometimes have difficulty telling how wide their vehicle is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Vegeta wrote:
    I have to say I hate that so much, or people who park way too close to a corner and you cant see a thing pulling out cos they are blocking your view.

Jesus - this happened to me just last week. You could see the whites of my eyes from cork i reckon. A bit of me died on that roundabout - very nearly all of me did.

Hateful shower. Roll on 10 year driving tests. (and enough testers to have it done in good time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Totally agree-typical scenario is Bridie in her fiesta or micra, doodlin along to mass or the local graveyard- ur doing the 100kmh, your still a few hundred metres away, she pulls out onto the main carriageway regardless and proceeds to her 'safe' 60-70 kmh speed!!
    It's infuriating; then your the unsafe 'lunatic' who tries to overtake (she'll rarely have the cop-on or awareness to pullover to hard shoulder to let you by safely.
    Happens me in towns the whole time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

It's all about haveing some manners and a bit of respect on the road...

another problem.... travelling on back roads that I am well use to there are only a couple of long stretches of road where it is possible to overtake safely... they more recently I was stuck behind an passat for ages, they were travelling along at about 40 miles an hour on the bad parts of the road... which I have no problem with... but the problem occurs when they hit the long straight stretches.... they increase their speed so it's not possible for me to overtake... and once they hit the bad part the slowed right down again...... they knew I was stuck behing them.... some manners goes a long way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

mfitzy wrote:
    Totally agree-typical scenario is Bridie in her fiesta or micra, doodlin along to mass or the local graveyard- ur doing the 100kmh, your still a few hundred metres away, she pulls out onto the main carriageway regardless and proceeds to her 'safe' 60-70 kmh speed!!
    It's infuriating; then your the unsafe 'lunatic' who tries to overtake (she'll rarely have the cop-on or awareness to pullover to hard shoulder to let you by safely.
    So true. And if Bridie does look in her rear view mirror to see you coming up behind her at a closing speed of 50-60 km/h what does she do next?

She slams on the brakes!

Some people brake because they panic and think that's the "safe" thing to do in every situation. Others (as already mentioned in this thread) do it out of spite i.e. they give you a brake test. My tip is, if you're going to do something "provocative" like blast the horn at someone make sure that you have loads of space to stop if they decide to brake test you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Oh, those ****ers. I hate them. Happens to me regularly coming into Maynooth.

One particular instance involved a "lady" driver in a Mitsubishi Spacewagon full of kids. Pulled out in front of me meaning that I almost nearly rear-ended her. Guess what the "lady" does next? Slams on the brakes, I assume because she thinks I'm too close. I showed great restraint, I have to say, and did absolutely nothing except wishing all the worst for her crappy motor.

Ahhhhhhhhh :p

This is an interesting one. When a car pulls out in front of you like that, the first instinct (apart from slamming on the brakes) is to hit the horn. This can actually be counterproductive. Put yourself in the position of the driver of the car in front, who is in all probability blissfully aware of what they have just done. If they hear a horn blaring at close quarters, it's quite likely they will panic and hit the brakes themselves, thus making it even more likely that you will actually hit them. Personally speaking, I'd stay away from the horn until I was alongside them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

seamus wrote:
    I have a tendency to be a little aggressive when it comes to overtaking objects on my side of the road, and the road is wide with a broken white line. A lot of people simple don't use their brains and realise, "Oh, if I wasn't driving on the white line, those people could overtake that parked van, and all the traffic would continue to flow easily, with little or no hassle to me". So if there's enough room (and time), I tend to just pull out and let the other driver panic if they can't see there's enough room.
    I'm wary about doing it to learners, little old ladies and SUV drivers though, who can sometimes have difficulty telling how wide their vehicle is.

I remember being told to be more aggressive in that regard in one of my first driving lessons. "Don't let other drivers bully you, they'll pull over if there's plenty of room" etc. Of course you need to be like that in Cork where double yellow lines are only there to make parking spaces look pretty.

• Advertisement

Anan1, great minds think alike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

Another good one is drivers turning left onto a main road from a T junction where they manage to enter the far lane. "It's not a bus fer chrissakes" is what I think to myself every time I see some Micra doing this. Some people just aren't aware of their car's dimensions or the fact that the steering wheel can actually be turned more than 45 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

styer wrote:

another problem.... travelling on back roads that I am well use to there are only a couple of long stretches of road where it is possible to overtake safely... they more recently I was stuck behind an passat for ages, they were travelling along at about 40 miles an hour on the bad parts of the road... which I have no problem with... but the problem occurs when they hit the long straight stretches.... they increase their speed so it's not possible for me to overtake... and once they hit the bad part the slowed right down again...... they knew I was stuck behing them.... some manners goes a long way.....

yep, those are the same drivers who speed though villages at their safe 40-50 mph....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AM wrote:
    Another good one is drivers turning left onto a main road from a T junction where they manage to enter the far lane. "It's not a bus fer chrissakes" is what I think to myself every time I see some Micra doing this. Some people just aren't aware of their car's dimensions or the fact that the steering wheel can actually be turned more than 45 degrees.
    Conversely people who turn into a side road clipping off a huge amount of the corner forcing you to stop early before the junction to avoid hitting them, and/or frown at you for pulling right up to the Yield / Stop line therefore forcing them to turn the wheel more than 45 degrees (or forcing them to put their mobile phone down :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm driving along at about 30 and see a woman waiting to turn right from a side road on my side. I notice she is only looking to the left. I slow down to 20 in anticipation of her being a stupid bint. Guess what, she was a stupid bint. Just as I am about to pass her she pulls out in front of me. I stand on the brakes and even though I am only doing 20, the fact that I have to stop in the space of 10ft makes by tyres screetch. That gets her attention and she looks in my direction and starts screaming expletives and making the up and down hand gesture to jme ie. Slow down!

I swear to God if she hadn't of had kids in the car I would have jumped out and given her a right bollicking. "Could not believe that rather than looking embarressed and mouthing an appology I got abuse and she thought I was the one in the wrong.!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If they hear a horn blaring at close quarters, it's quite likely they will panic and hit the brakes themselves, thus making it even more likely that you will actually hit them. Personally speaking, I'd stay away from the horn until I was alongside them

Yepp ...safety first ....bring your speed down to the same level, keep a safe distance and THEN blast the horn (while making shoo - shoo gestures through the windscreen) :D:D:D

That's the only time when I really appreciate the otherwise awkward placement of the horn on the light switch stalk in my camper.
    Because it means you can use your middle finger to blast the (two dual tone) horn(s) and flash the lights in one satisfying movement using the CORRECT finger :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Was doing going down the motorway yesterday coming southbound passing the Ballymount onramp... shockingly enough I saw some old biddy merge with the traffic at 50k... 50!!!. You'd want to see the brakes in action from the car who nearly rear ended her screetching to a stop(well aslow down). Then after he gets pissed off and starts beeping at the aul'wan she starts screaming back and waving her fist like it was his fault for going too fast.

People need to be educated as to how to merge with traffic and we need a min speed put in place on the M50. 30k traffic merging with 100-120k traffic is just going to cause a disaster.

Alun wrote:
    Conversely people who turn into a side road clipping off a huge amount of the corner forcing you to stop early before the junction to avoid hitting them, and/or frown at you for pulling right up to the Yield / Stop line therefore forcing them to turn the wheel more than 45 degrees (or forcing them to put their mobile phone down :) )
    And if the situation is reversed (you're turning into the side road, they're coming out) they probably won't bother stopping till the bonnet of their car is halfway over the stop line :rolleyes: Then they give you The Stare if you shake your head/blow the horn/make a rude gesture at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Yep, it's getting pretty bad out there. It's getting to the stage that if you beep/flash you get hassled. All for bringing their poor driving skills to their attention.

Roll on rockets as an option on my next motor!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

styer wrote:

So what you're saying is they're driving at a speed that's at the limit for a "back"/R road (80kph/50mph) and adjusting downwards when the road becomes bad.. I don't see the problem :confused:

What IS a problem is people who dawdle along on N roads at 75/80kph and refuse to let you by - even when it's clear and safe to do so - or people who (as has already been mentioned) pull out of side roads onto the same N road without judging the distance between them and the oncoming car (doing about 90-100kph) correctly .. in fact, that's exactly how I lost my first car :(

I also think trucks should be banned from main roads between rush hour, as the amount of times I've gotten stuck in a convoy behind one is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Alun wrote:

LOL. Just brought the dogs for a walk in the car (you know what I mean :D ) and someone did exactly that. Had to brake early. Honestly, If I drove a banger I'd accelerate to show them the error of their ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    So what you're saying is they're driving at a speed that's at the limit for a "back"/R road (80kph/50mph) and adjusting downwards when the road becomes bad.. I don't see the problem :confused:

I think what he's referring too is the people who think that if the road is not perfectly straight, then you can't drive at more than 40mph, and when you get to a straingt stretch, they sink the boot. I get this every morning, only 60km/h would be a good morning. Whereas the whole road could be safely driven at 100km/h, with having to slow for the odd bad bend. Some people don't seem to like have to accelaerate between bends, as they'll have to brake beofre the next bend.

The other one I hate, is when your stuck behind a couple of slow cars doing 80km/h on a national road, and then you get to a climbing lane,which presents a safe opportunity to get past. As soon as you get to the lane, eveybody accelaerates likes its a race to the top, so nobody gets past anybody, and then when you get to the top, the person in front, hits the brakes and your back to where you started at the the bottom of the climbing lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this a rant by any chance? We have a thread for this sort of thing.

merged!

Mike.

Advertisement