Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor speakers

• 23-06-2006 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of putting some decent enough outdoor speakers in the garden - basically get the electrician to wire them into the back of the house.
    Anyone with any suggestions/experience of brands? I have looked at the Boston Acoustics Voyager but no-one seems to ship from the US to Ireland. I think the Bose are too expensive for what you get (now if I could get US prices on them I would think about it!)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

LiamG wrote:
    Hi

I am thinking of putting some decent enough outdoor speakers in the garden - basically get the electrician to wire them into the back of the house.
    Anyone with any suggestions/experience of brands? I have looked at the Boston Acoustics Voyager but no-one seems to ship from the US to Ireland. I think the Bose are too expensive for what you get (now if I could get US prices on them I would think about it!)
    Thanks

Dont get Bose,highly over rated.Buying from the US you will be likely paying customs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

bose...argghh..

best marketing scheme in the world...terrible product...i can't stand them...sorry if you're reading this and you have them, but there is so much better out there for way less money...

outdoor speakers are difficult..for indoor speakers you're assuming a room of standard dimensions, that doesn't apply with outdoor..

do you want these to be hidden, as in the overhang or in the wall, or do you want speakers you can bring in for the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LiamG

Hi
    Was thinking wall mounted - loads available in the states but very few in ireland it seems & those that are seem to cost an arm & a leg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi, was thinking this myself and found a dealer ( with a lot of positive feedback ) from the UK selling pairs of flush mounted ceiling speakers for £20 ex P+P, didn't go for it in the end but do a search and they may still be available, think my search was for "bathroom speaker"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A company called Sound Tube www.soundtube.com make very good outdoor speakers (as heard in Dundrum Town Centre).

For any type of outdoor speakers i presume you want to tie them into your own stereo. It might be a better idea to drive them separately with a power amplifier so you can have the indoor and outdoor zones on simultaneously at different levels.

Also outdoors more speakers driven to a lower level will minimise the disturbance to others but have a good strong sweet spot. You might need to do 100V line or else a nice parallel/series combination to make it work!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Red Alert wrote:
    A company called Sound Tube www.soundtube.com make very good outdoor speakers (as heard in Dundrum Town Centre).

For any type of outdoor speakers i presume you want to tie them into your own stereo. It might be a better idea to drive them separately with a power amplifier so you can have the indoor and outdoor zones on simultaneously at different levels.

Also outdoors more speakers driven to a lower level will minimise the disturbance to others but have a good strong sweet spot. You might need to do 100V line or else a nice parallel/series combination to make it work!

you might not need a seperate amplifier if your receiver has a zone 2 output, if it odes it will mean it has dedicated amps, and you can set a seperate source for it.

Advertisement