Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Array.Sort throwing error when sorting custom objects.

Options
  • 23-06-2006 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm getting the error below when sorting an array of custom 'Content' objects in a random order. I've also included my sort classes which implement the ICompare interface.

The Content class is very straight forward.

The error is being caused by calling:
    Dim Temp As New System.Collections.Generic.List(Of Content)
    Temp.Sort(New Content.Random())

Sorting alphabetically and by PrefOrder work fine.
    I particualy in my Random sort class note the line:
    If x.Equals(y) Then Return 0

The error message seems to indicate I'm not doing this, but clearly i am.

Any help appreciated.

IComparer (or the IComparable methods it relies upon) did not return zero when Array.Sort called x. CompareTo(x). x: 'Content'  x's type: 'Content' The IComparer: 'Content+Random'.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: IComparer (or the IComparable methods it relies upon) did not return zero when Array.Sort called x. CompareTo(x). x: 'Content'  x's type: 'Content' The IComparer: 'Content+Random'.

Source Error:

Dim Temp As New System.Collections.Generic.List(Of Content)
    Temp.Sort(New Content.Random())

Class Content

Private _Name As String
    Private _PrefOrder as Integer
    '... removed for clarity

Class Alphabetically
            Implements System.Collections.Generic.IComparer(Of Content)
            Public Function Compare(ByVal x As Content, ByVal y As Content) As Integer Implements System.Collections.Generic.IComparer(Of Content).Compare
                Return x._Name < y._Name
            End Function
        End Class

Class Pref
            Public Function Compare(ByVal x As Content, ByVal y As Content) As Integer Implements System.Collections.Generic.IComparer(Of Content).Compare
                Return x._PrefOrder < y._PrefOrder
            End Function
        End Class

Class Random

Private Shared _R As New System.Random()

Return 1
                If x Is Nothing AndAlso y Is Nothing Then Return 0
                If x Is Nothing AndAlso y IsNot Nothing Then Return -1
                If x IsNot Nothing AndAlso y Is Nothing Then Return 1

Select Case _R.Next() Mod 3
                    Case 0 : Return -1
                    Case 1 : Return 0
                    Case 2 : Return 1
                End Select
            End Function
        End Class

End Class

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Torak

don't really know .Net but is it because the params are ByVal and not ByRef..

So the object comparison is never made.. This is a pure java head talking so sorry if i'm way off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Lucifer 2

The signature for the ICompare interface passes parameters byVal, so I have no choice in this matter.

However I think you could be on to something.

Basically you saying, even if the same object is passed in as both the x and y parameters to the compare function, as it's being passed byVal, the x.Equals(y) expression will always return false?

How then can I ensure I return 0 when Array.Sort calls x.CompareTo(x) as the error message seem to suggest I must?

Any ideas? I suppose I could check the value of some property on the object?

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Didn't really read through all the code to work out exactly what its doing but one thing did stand out to me and that's the first thing the Random.Compare() method is doing is returning 1 (highlighted in red). Unless this is a weird vb.net default return value thingy, and it very well could be, surely that's the only code going to execute in the function. Not saying that its a fix to your problem either but it does look incorrect.
       Class Random

Private Shared _R As New System.Random()

[COLOR="Red"][B]Return 1[/B][/COLOR]

Select Case _R.Next() Mod 3
                    Case 0 : Return -1
                    Case 1 : Return 0
                    Case 2 : Return 1
                End Select
            End Function
        End Class

sorry, ignore that line. I just stuck it in as I was trying to debug the problem!

Heh, I've lost hours to those little debug lines. Again I'm not so sure as its .Net 2 but should nested class Random have a constructor of some sort? The constuctor would execute some code the results of which would be exposed as a property. You could then sort on this property.

• Advertisement

try adding

If x._Name = y._Name Then Return 0

instead of If x.Equals(y) Then Return 0

One other thing.. do the objects which are being sorted all correctly override the .Equals method. Because if they don't then that would cause your problem.

Essentially anything that needs to be sorted need to have a correct override of the Equals method to work correctly due to the "identity" constraint which is essentially being placed on the objects.

Evil Phil wrote:
    Heh, I've lost hours to those little debug lines. Again I'm not so sure as its .Net 2 but should nested class Random have a constructor of some sort? The constuctor would execute some code the results of which would be exposed as a property. You could then sort on this property.

I think the point is that it should randomly sort, unless the objects are the same object... but because it is ByVal the initial object references are lost so you can't call ReferencesEqual..

I should point out once more that I have NEVER written .net and haven't got a clue what I am talking about... :)

but it's what I'd be looking at..

Torak wrote:
    I think the point is that it should randomly sort, unless the objects are the same object...

Okay, quick look at the visual studio 2005 help file has clarified things a little. I was on the wrong track altogether.

<quick rtfm later/>
    Class Content [color=red]Implements System.IComparable[/color]

This may fix your problem. Excuse my vb.net coding skills :) but it seems that System.Collections.Generic.IComparer.Compare throws an ArgumentException (which is being thrown) if the classes being sorted don't implement the IComparable interface (which it appears they don't).

Ok, here is what I've determined so far...

1. x.Equals(y) is not always false. So my original line
    if x.Equals(y) then return 0

should in my mind do the trick. However it doesn't :confused:

2. I tried changing this line to be
    If x.Equals(y) OrElse x.MTCode = y.MTCode Then Return 0

as MTCode 'should' be a unique integer for each content object. However, I still get the error :mad:

3. I still don't know whats causing the problem, becuase I can't determine which values of 'x' and 'y' throw the error. The values of x and y are out of scope at the earliest possible chance i get to catch the exception :(

Plus I don't have the patience to step through remebering the values as the error only occurs maybe every 50 or so page loads. And each page load calls Compare(,) about 10 times.

print the compares to a log

comparing <x> with <y>

should let you see exactly which values raise the error.

It is the simplest way to solve this..

• Advertisement

There are several overloaded methods for Array.Sort. Two of which are:
    Array.Sort (Array) Sorts the elements in an entire one-dimensional Array using the IComparable implementation of each element of the Array.

Array.Sort (Array, IComparer) Sorts the elements in a one-dimensional Array using the specified IComparer.

In the first case the objects in the array must imlement the IComparable interface as Evil Phil points out. However, I'm calling the second method which takes in an object which implemnts the IComparer(of Content) interface. Therefore it's not necessary for the Content class to implement the IComparable interface.

Note I originally used the first method for sorting alphabetically, however, I wanted to be able to specify the sorting method, hence the second method.

I added loggin to the Compare method of Content+Random as follows:
                Logger.Log(BitFactory.Logging.LogSeverity.Info, Me, String.Format("Start compare: x={0}, y={1}", x, y))
                Logger.Log(BitFactory.Logging.LogSeverity.Info, Me, String.Format("MTCode: x={0}, y={1}", x.MTCode, y.MTCode))
                If x.Equals(y) OrElse x.MTCode = y.MTCode Then Return 0
                Select Case _R.Next() Mod 2
                    Case 0 : Compare = -1
                    Case 1 : Compare = 1
                End Select
                Logger.Log(BitFactory.Logging.LogSeverity.Info, Me, String.Format("End compare: returning {0}", Compare))
            End Function

and got the following log (I'm not sure how much I can deduce from this.
    Note there are only four Content objects in the list with the folloing MTCodes (most likely, but not necessarily originally in this order):

Log:
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- End compare: returning -1
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- MTCode: x=1000612, y=1000611
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- Start compare: x=Content, y=Content
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- MTCode: x=1000612, y=1000614
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- Start compare: x=Content, y=Content
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- MTCode: x=1000612, y=1000613
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- MTCode: x=1000612, y=1000612
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- MTCode: x=1000613, y=1000612
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- End compare: returning 1
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:27 -- MTCode: x=1000612, y=1000614
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:26 -- Start compare: x=Content, y=Content
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:26 -- MTCode: x=1000612, y=1000612
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:26 -- Start compare: x=Content, y=Content
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:26 -- End compare: returning -1
    {Content+Random} --<Info> -- 23/06/2006 13:25:26 -- MTCode: x=1000611, y=1000612

P.S The log file is in order of time descending.

>>
    If x Is Nothing Then
    Logger.Log(BitFactory.Logging.LogSeverity.Info, Me, "X IS Nothing")

Return -1
    End If

If y Is Nothing Then
    Logger.Log(BitFactory.Logging.LogSeverity.Info, Me, "Y IS Nothing")

Return +1
    End If

X and Y are never Nothing by the looks of it. Nor should they ever be.
    Logger.Log(BitFactory.Logging.LogSeverity.Info, Me, String.Format("Start compare: x={0}, y={1}", x, y))

would print
    Start compare: x=, y=

if they were.

Sorry dude..

Looks like i completely misread that..

Whats getting me is that the lines are not coming out in the order..

Really sorry I couldn't help more...

Ok, I've created a console test harness to try and get to the bottom to this.
    I've noticed the following strange behaviour I'm hoping someone can shed some light on!

1. When the list to be sorted contains only 3 items everyone works fine, unless I remove the
    if x.equals(y)

check

2. When the list contains more than 3 items the error occurs within about 3 sorts without the
    if x.equals(y)

check, and after about 60 with the check.

Module Module1

Sub Main()
            Dim People As New System.Collections.Generic.List(Of Person)
            Dim Counter As Integer = 0
            People.Add(New Person(1, "Brian"))
            People.Add(New Person(2, "Darragh"))
            People.Add(New Person(3, "Aoife"))
            People.Add(New Person(4, "Aidan")) ' when only 3 people I don't seem to have a problem unless I remove the if x.Equals(y) check below!
            While True
                Counter += 1
                Console.WriteLine("Comparison {0}", Counter)
                People.Sort(New Person.Random())
            End While
        End Sub
    End Module

Public Class Person
        Public ID As Integer
        Public Name As String

Public Sub New(ByVal ID As Integer, ByVal Name As String)
            Me.ID = ID
            Me.Name = Name
        End Sub

Public Overrides Function ToString() As String
            Return String.Format("ID={0}, Name={1}", Me.ID, Me.Name)
        End Function

Class Random
            Implements System.Collections.Generic.IComparer(Of Person)

Private Shared r As New System.Random

Public Function Compare(ByVal x As Person, ByVal y As Person) As Integer Implements System.Collections.Generic.IComparer(Of Person).Compare
                Console.Write("Comparing: x=[{0}], y=[{1}]", x, y)
                If x.Equals(y) Then Compare = 0 Else Compare = r.Next(-1, 2) 'removing this gives error when only 3 items
                'Compare = r.Next(-1, 2)
                Console.WriteLine("{0}Returning: {1}", vbTab, Compare)
            End Function

End Class

End Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Here's a bit of C#, i'm too lazy to attempt psuedo code. It demonstrates the point well enough i think...

Person[] people = new Person[5];

people[0] = new Person();
    			people[0].age = 15;
    			people[0].name = "roisin";

people[1] = new Person();
    			people[1].age = 27;
    			people[1].name = "dad";

people[2] = new Person();
    			people[2].age = 15;
    			people[2].name = "emily";

people[3] = new Person();
    			people[3].age = 10;
    			people[3].name = "ben";

people[4] = new Person();
    			people[4].age = 10;
    			people[4].name = "tom";

Array.Sort(people);
    			string temp = "";
    			return 0;
    		}
    		private class Person : IComparable
    		{
    			public string name;
    			public int age;

public Person()
    			{
    			}
    			public int CompareTo(object obj)
    			{
    				Person person2 = (Person)obj;
    				if(person2 == null)
    					return 1;// The thing we're comparing too is a person, so this is greater

if(this.age != person2.age)	// If they aren't the same age, compare by age
    					return this.age - person2.age;

return this.name.CompareTo(person2.name);	// Lastly, compare by name
    			}
    		}

I'm not quite sure how this is a solution to my problem. The crux of my problem seems to be (according to the exception message anyway) that my compare function isn't returning 0 when comparing an object to itself.

Although thats why I have
    if x.Equals(y) then compare = 0

Note that I'm implementing the IComparer interface on the helper class, and not the ICompare interface on the person class.
    [edit]see post above regarding Array.Sort overloads[/edit]

Also, I'm 'sorting' randomly (not sure if this is an oxymoron). So I'm not really interested in comparing the values of the object's properties.

I appreciate your help. However, I'm interested in why the code I've posted isn't working...in my mind it should.....maybe I'm misssing something.

Thanks for your help.

Well, could you tell me what exactly you're trying to achieve in plain ole' english. My brain is a bit fried, so deciphering VB isn't what i really want to do :p

BTW: Do you need to overload Equals? you're comparing x.Equals(y), but is that doing a valid comparison?

Basically I was trying to randomize the list by implementing the IComparer interface which randomly returned either 1, 0, or -1 in the compare function.

Seemingly this was never going to work properly, the problem being that during a sort there must be some consistancy, i.e. if x is compared to y and 1 is returned, then if y is later compared to x, then -1 should be returned. Randomly returning -1 or 1 screws this up to put it bluntly.

My problem was compounded by the misleading error message in the exception object being thrown.

Thanks to all those who helped, and also to the guys on the MSDN forums who pointed out the error in my ways. See the link below for their feedback.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dotnet.framework&mid=1ee07964-5cdc-4afc-af2b-ef058aeedda1

My new code looks like the following:

Private Function Randomize(ByVal list As Collections.Generic.List(Of Content)) As Collections.Generic.List(Of Content)
            Randomize = New Collections.Generic.List(Of Content)
            Dim index As Integer
            Dim r As New Random()
            While list.Count > 0
                index = r.Next(list.Count)
                Randomize.Add(list.Item(index))
                list.RemoveAt(index)
            End While
        End Function

Aye, i was thinking that could be the problem, but didn't know :p

The only other thing is i think you need to give a "seed" number to Random. i.e. Dim r As New Random(seed);

Seed could be DateTime.Now.Ticks or DateTime.Now.Miliseconds. You need to do this, otherwise the Random generator will always return the same "random" values.

If you start your program and run it, then restart and run again you should see that the "random" order is the same every time you restart and rerun the randomize function.

• Advertisement
Advertisement