Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend NTL??

• 23-06-2006 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just moved into an apartment off Camden St. and I'm looking for BB. I don't need a landline, so I was thinking of NTL. €40 for 6Mb seems very tempting!

Is it any good is that area, and does anyone know if they block any particular ports? I run HTTP/Email off my system. I don't run a site, but I just use it for teesting purposes since I'm doing MCP's.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

helios wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Just moved into an apartment off Camden St. and I'm looking for BB. I don't need a landline, so I was thinking of NTL. €40 for 6Mb seems very tempting!

Is it any good is that area, and does anyone know if they block any particular ports? I run HTTP/Email off my system. I don't run a site, but I just use it for teesting purposes since I'm doing MCP's.

thanks!

NTL are by far the best BB povider if you ca get them in your area! they say 6mb on the tin but you can get from 6 - 10 !! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

Here is some info on ports you where looking for

http://bbplus.ntlworld.com/tunnel.php?task=portBlocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I use the NTL "6Mb"*cough*10Mb*cough* package:

speed5dw1.jpg

^^ Fast enough for you?

Yes I would definately recommend them. I'm having a bit of trouble with my network atm, but that's hardly NTL's fault. Bloody router.

The only problem I have with them, is for some reason they Route through Inex in the UK, so you I don't get as low a ping as people on Eircom orBT would get to Irish servers, but it's still low enough(32-36ms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Good thing I did give NTL a ring... I rang up for BB, and came out with:

€40/m BB
    €5 Digital cable for 6 months
    Free regular cable for a year
    and a free router

BOOYA!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

helios wrote:

€40/m BB
    and a free router

BOOYA!!!

you should have 3 months free BB :) as well on top of that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You don't own the router by the way ;) Just warning you incase you try flog it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

NTL sales talk about a 2 and 3 meg service , how do you get 6 + 10 ?

You don't own the router by the way ;) Just warning you incase you try flog it.

it's alright, I don't need one that bad. It just saves me from having to buy one. I image they're similar to the Eircom ones just without the RJ11..?

And yes, 3 months free BB. I was worried they would try to sell me all this extra crap, but for an extra €5 I'm getting a ton more, and I don't have to waste the time/money/use of getting a landline which I'll never use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

helios wrote:

€40/m BB
    and a free router

BOOYA!!!

what did you say to get the free cable for the year? as i'm going to be getting BB from them in the next few weeks

Noelie wrote:
    what did you say to get the free cable for the year? as i'm going to be getting BB from them in the next few weeks

I didn't say anything, she just kept offering!! She said since I was a new customer then I was entitled to all these promos. Initially the plan was just for BB so I didn't really want the extras, but they seem very much like they're worth it. Free cable, 1/2 price digi cable, free 3 months BB and router. It's certainly better than any of the other places...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to say NTL is pretty damn good, although compared to BT Business I've experienced alot more downtime on NTL

Only had 30min downtime on BT Business in 18 months of service compared to 2 months on NTL and about 2-3hrs downtime, its still good though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sorry to be a doubting Thomas on this one.
    I've had NTL BB for 2 years.
    Downtime is terrible (the router refuses to sync about once daily and even when it does sync the ready light is often flashing- meaning no connection with the server).

Test the regular cable reception in your area before you even contemplate getting BB- if you get a poor reception on E4, C4 and the Discovery Channel- do not touch NTL BB with a bargepole.

In a lot of areas where they are offering this product there is a so-so signal strength, which for the most part may be ok, but in some cases may result in dire problems.

Even when my BB is up (its not at present) my max download is about 30/40 KBPS a lot of the time (curiously enough my upload speed is often up to twice as good as my download).

I've had 6 engineers out to me in the last 18 months, without resolution of this issue. My neighbours have similar problems (2 weeks ago the engineer's next call after me was actually to about 7 doors down......)

If you have poor signal strength on E4, Channel 4 and the Discovery Channel- do not even contemplate NTL BB, it will only give you headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

smccarrick wrote:
    Sorry to be a doubting Thomas on this one.
    I've had NTL BB for 2 years.
    Downtime is terrible (the router refuses to sync about once daily and even when it does sync the ready light is often flashing- meaning no connection with the server).

Test the regular cable reception in your area before you even contemplate getting BB- if you get a poor reception on E4, C4 and the Discovery Channel- do not touch NTL BB with a bargepole.

In a lot of areas where they are offering this product there is a so-so signal strength, which for the most part may be ok, but in some cases may result in dire problems.

Even when my BB is up (its not at present) my max download is about 30/40 KBPS a lot of the time (curiously enough my upload speed is often up to twice as good as my download).

I've had 6 engineers out to me in the last 18 months, without resolution of this issue. My neighbours have similar problems (2 weeks ago the engineer's next call after me was actually to about 7 doors down......)

If you have poor signal strength on E4, Channel 4 and the Discovery Channel- do not even contemplate NTL BB, it will only give you headaches.

The first time the tech came out to install BB in house, he wasn't getting a great signal, and I did have choppy E4 and Disc chan reception. He ordered out some lad to fix something in the box(think he said upgrade something) that was around the corner(or in the telecom exchange, I dunno, wasn't listening). A month(yeah, my fault, I lost the reference number and forgot to call them back) later they came back and installed it. 10Mb speed stable(1230KB.sec). But, I did have a problem with down times, latency and speed from tiem to time. Buut that was only in the first 2 weeks, it was around the time of the upgrade to the faster speeds in my area, so you gotta give it a little teething time. Since, I've had no problems(bar the fact that for some reason they route through the UK).

You're probably the only bad case I've heard of, anyway. 3 of my mates use NTL, and they're very happy. Although I cannot understand why one of them gets a ping of 16ms to Irish game servers, and I get 32. Meh, doesn't bother me too much, it's stable, and there's no PL there at all. In fact, PL compared to my Eircom ADSL connection has improved dramatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i dunno i've had quality problems with discovery before but the BB seems fine, full 10meg connection speed...very little down time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

What kind of upload speeds do you get on the 6meg package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I have crap Channel 4 and E4 reception but the Broadband and Digital TV work fine.

I don't get my full 512 kbps upload speed, I only get about 360kbps but I do get the full 10 mbps download.

Haven't ever had any downtime at all with the connection, latency isn't as good as eircom bb but it's still fine for games.

Advertisement