Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bio Unleaded Petrol

Options
  • 23-06-2006 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Bio Unleaded Petrol
    Does anybody use it?
    how much of a petrol / bio can you put into a car safetly iv heard 95/5 without modification.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've heard of biodiesel but I never heard of biopetrol until now.

By 95/5, you mean 5% biopetrol, 95% normal petrol? Doesn't sound worth the hassle to be honest.

The 95/5 might be a warranty thing as well. I've heard most diesel cars can take pure biodiesel without modification but the warranty only covers 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Stark wrote:
    I've heard of biodiesel but I never heard of biopetrol until now.

By 95/5, you mean 5% biopetrol, 95% normal petrol? Doesn't sound worth the hassle to be honest.

well we should all do our bit for the enviornment but my reason for asking is that nasty emmission test on NCT.

my brother put half and half into his deisel/biodeisel. emmissions went from 5% to 0.5% of whatever they measure.

also i was told ~1L of parfin oil per 40L in the petrol would also reduce emmissions.
    wouldnt try in a new car though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

JoeySully wrote:
    Bio Unleaded Petrol
    Does anybody use it?
    how much of a petrol / bio can you put into a car safetly iv heard 95/5 without modification.

Bioethanol?

The Focus FFV is the only car I know of that can run it at the moment, although I am sure Saab also do one.

The FFV can take any ratio you choose, but consumption increases by 50% or so on a pure ethanol mix (although power goes up). The cost of running the FFV is far too high at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

There is a saab 9-5 biopower, which, like the focus, runs on E85. In a normal car, you could probably get away with 10% before modification,anything more than that would depend on how much extra volume the fuel system can handle, and how much the ecu can advance the timing to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

JoeySully wrote:
    my brother put half and half into his deisel/biodeisel. emmissions went from 5% to 0.5% of whatever they measure.

That'd be the smoke test. Biodiesel gives a much whiter smoke particle than mineral diesel, so smoke opacity appears lower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement