Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

building your own mobile network

• 23-06-2006 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi does anyone know what equipment would be needed to build a mini mobile phone network, basically to cover a small area, in or around the house,

info on make / model of equipment needed would be good,

it would cost a fair bit i know ,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I think that's actually illegal - insofar as you'd need to apply to comreg for a license for use of a particular spectrum before you could do it legally - and chances are they wouldn't give you one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

it is legal if you obtain the correct radio frequency licence from comreg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

use walkie-talkies?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

use walkie-talkies?

Quoted for truth and sense :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

would be kind of cool if you could get your phone to "roam" onto your network at home and then use VOIP for calling.

I know BT have released a system that basically does that in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nokia and Ericsson are two of the biggest manufacturers of the kind of equipment you need.

At a basic level, you need transmitters, a big backbone to connect them all together, and a big pile of computers to control the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

there are easier/cheaper ways to do this than setup a mini mobile network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

MiCr0 wrote:
    there are easier/cheaper ways to do this than setup a mini mobile network

Action man walkie talkies, 14.99 from any good toy store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You would basically need to contruct your own mobile phone network, i.e. a scaled down version of what any operator uses. Equipment manufacturers offer boxes that can perform multiple roles if loads is relativley low but they will still cost a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

What your looking for is your own Picocell and you would need this to be licensed. You have to ask yourself, what if people were walking past your house and their phone decided to associate with your cell?You'd have a very expensive telephone bill!

I guess if you had a type of picocell station transmitting at a sufficiently low power, You might get away with it. But chances are comreg would be onto you in a very short space of time.

If you are truly interested you could look at a dual mode GSM/DECT phone. Apparently BT and Sagem sell them

• Advertisement
Advertisement