Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First attempt at a standards based site

Options
  • 23-06-2006 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just put my first attempt at a web standards ( xhtml\css ) based website live. Went through a bit of a nightmare getting it to look right in IE 6, IE 7, Firefox and Opera - dont have linux or a mac to test it on.

http://www.comfortdriving365.com/.

Its been scanned for priority 1 and 2 web accesibility standards too which it passed with only a very minor change or 2 to be made.

Just looking for opinions... what could improve it, what you think works, doesnt work...

Slightly off topic, While im at it, does anyone know of a good version of linux to run in virtual pc so i can test sites on linux. I tried installing Kubuntu 6 the other evening but i cant get it to run...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

just go with the live application cd of ubuntu ... its even downloadable from the vmware site as are fedora ... and so on ... they ran out of the box when I tried them ... they are preconfigured and everything ... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

nice one ill try that...
    think it was knoppix i tried ages ago... but i couldnt remember if it came with a browser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

if you had problems with Kubuntu you're probably going to have trouble with Ubuntu too. I don't know why though as Ubuntu/Kubuntu should work on every PC, it's cross "platformness" is amazingly high. Firefox is used on Linux, so if it looks good on Firefox Windows it will look good on Firefox Linux. The only other browsers on Linux that i'm aware of are Konqueror and Lynx. I wouldn't be too worried about either of them tbh.

Nice site btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

cheers

well its a virtual pc im trying to install into not the pc itself. I heard it can be a bit problematic. But its good to know firefox on windows and linux is basically the same..

Ive been trying to pick something off this list
    http://vpc.visualwin.com/

Advertisement