Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

18 months free driving of a top of the range BMW...

Options
  • 23-06-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

I've just been on the oasis website and, as far as I can see, it is possible to get a car transferred from English Registration to Irish registration for free. All you have to do is get some way of proving that you have owned the car in the North for the past 6-months, e.g. buy the car and rent a house in the north (or possibly claim to be living with relatives). After 6 months, move back to Ireland and you will not have to pay any VRT. The only condition seems to be that you continue to own the car for a further year.

As an example, if you were to buy a 05 BMW 645, it would cost you 65,000 euro in the North. You will save about 20,000 euro VRT when importing it and can sell it for 77,000 after 18 months of driving it. That 11,000 euro profit. The profit would probably cover the rental of an apartment for 6 months and insurance for the year.

Thats 18 months free driving of the car below and 6 months free rental of an apartment. All you need now is the 65,000 euro :D

04.bmw.645ci.coupe.f34.500.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 xephyr

Give it a go. Let us know how you got on.

In truth, you need to prove you were resident in UK/NOI - income tax documentation, council tax receipts, utility bills, Road Fund, car insurance etc.
    And if you have been paying PAYE in Ireland during any on this period - you were resident here.

I've been through this process and they are getting more and more careful about the paper trail. Still, best of luck with the 645i.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah its as Xephyr says, if it was that simple everyone would do it !

My cousin who genuinely does live in London, but also has an apartment here tried to bring back her XJ6 a few years back. It was a few years old and she genuinely wanted to bring it over and have it sitting here in the garage for occassional use when in Dublin.

Firstly she drove around on UK plates, as she was entitled to do, but got harassed on several occassions by the Customs folk who told her to re-reg it. So she tried to but they asked for proof she had lived in the UK, which she did so she showed them her UK licence, they asked for 6 months of bank statements, 6 months of utility bills(x3) and a whole load of other sh1te !

They didn't make it easy, finally she asked them for a VRT quote, deciding to pay it and get rid of them. In the end someone crashed into it over here and wrote it off but thats a whole other story !

Believe me your scheme will not work !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

This proposed dodge sounds much like the scam which resulted in all those exotic sports cars being impounded last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Apart from the fraud element it sounds like a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

They're wise to this, and will catch you out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah, yes, the bi-monthly "I've got a wizard wheeze to outwit those nasty VRT people, and all it needs is for me to lie through my back teeth and commit fraud" thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 xephyr

Alun wrote:
    Ah, yes, the bi-monthly "I've got a wizard wheeze to outwit those nasty VRT people, and all it needs is for me to lie through my back teeth and commit fraud" thread :)

We really shouldn't discourage this kind of thinking - someday, somehow maybe someone will dream up something that works!

Y'know.....million monkeys, typewriters etc.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyways, although you need to have the car for over 6 months, you need to be resident outside of Ireland for a minimum of one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Alun wrote:

Can I do my bi-monthly "if it was that easy everyone would do it" post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, is the 'ath' part of your nick silent? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Is VRT not fraud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Frank_Gooding

Bloody Fraud

What about the gov 20 grand extra in Tax for a car.

We are being robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Raiser wrote:
    Is VRT not fraud?

Er no..... we all know exactly how we're being ripped off with VRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If it was that easy we'd all be doing it....

As xephyr says, "you need to prove you were resident in UK/NOI - income tax documentation, council tax receipts, utility bills, Road Fund, car insurance etc.
    And if you have been paying PAYE in Ireland during any on this period - you were resident here."

Advertisement