Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

Options
  • 23-06-2006 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

My Eircom Home DSL is dropping every 10mins or so. My router - a Netgear DG834G with the latest firmware - is reconnecting automatically every time which is fine for all apps. One problem - my Cisco VPN client for work bombs out everytime it disconnects so I need to login to the VPN every 10mins which is a total pain.

Anyone see this and can offer a solution.

I'm on the Swords exchange if that has any bearing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Something like this ??
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054946725

But not as bad as your self!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

maybe.

I'm still trying to figure out where the issue is. I've logged the issue with Neatgear and Eircom both of which seem to suffer from differing levels of uselessness.

Basically it could be a line fault, a splitter issue, a filter problem or a problem with my router hardware or firmware. Funny thing is all worked fine before a recent line fault and splitter change by Eircom so the finger is pointing there. But I'm basically left to work it out myself due to the inability of their phone staff to help in anyway beyond the usual truobleshooting steps, and my reluctance to have their engineers out for their third call in as many weeks - due in large part to their inability to offer any level of customer service, and their pure ignorance (I could rant on for pages on that last one, but won't).

As you can see, I'm rightly impressed with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yeah i know what you mean about there call staff. Why cant it just be a painless experience.

Interested to know if anyone else has had this issue.

This has now been going on for weeks and it's still not fixed. I've had 4 engineer calls from Eircom on this and the engineer has ripped out all my internal phone extensions, replaced my splitter box, uninstalled the eircom installed line that was put in when I first got DSL 3 years ago and the line is still disconnecting randomly making it almost useless.

Aside from their call centre staff, who cant do much aside from troubleshoot user error or hardware failire, their so-called engineers dont seem to have a clue. I get the distinct impression, based on the many conversations I've had with the guy who keeps coming out to me, that they are simply guessing as to what the problem is.

They also seem to want to take every parameter that they are not responsible of out of the equation by default - just to avoid the hassle - eg: the first thing he did was disconnect my internal extensions becuase "we are only responsible for the first connection in the house". This didnt work. Then he blamed my netgear router. So I got a Netopia to prove the same thing happened with it. Then he disconnected the Eircom installed extension saying that should do it. Same thing.

So I'm now in the same boat except all my internal extensions are now disconnected, meaning all my phones dont work, my sky is no longer connected, and I have to put a phone and my router in my hallway where I have no room for a table so it's cable city all over my floor.

And the fustrating this is - my DSL was bullet-proof for over 3 years. And now it just wont work, and I have made no changes whatsoever to my lines or equipment during this time, and they still cant get it working.

I'm at my wits end.

Eircom are USELESS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

by any chance do you have eircom phonewatch? affects your broadband if you do. the phonewatch people can install a special filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Email your last post to phil.nolan@eircom.ie (while he's still there) and tell him you'll take your business elsewhere if it's not sorted. Now chances are, even if you switch provider and the problem is in the exchange, it will still be there but at least threaten it.
    BTW, what are your line stats (attenuation/snr) and what package are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 d_mc_a

If you have a monitored Alarm system, there's a good chance it's probably interfering with the Broadband. The person that installs a monitored alrm diverts the incoming line to through the alarm to give it first preference over the line. This is so that the alarm can seize the line and dial out if the alarm is triggered. The problem with having first prefernec, is that the broadband goes through the digital communicator first and messes with anything after it. The way i usually fix this problem is give the broadband modem first preference, and then the alarm. This is, of course, if you have an alarm?!?

MonkMuffet wrote:
    by any chance do you have eircom phonewatch? affects your broadband if you do. the phonewatch people can install a special filter.

no I dont have phonewatch. Literally nothing is on my line except a phone and my router. Without the phone its the same. This all worked fine for 3 years and then simply stopped, with no changes whatsoever at my end. And they cant seem to resolve it. Thats the annoying thing.
    kaizersoze wrote:
    Email your last post to phil.nolan@eircom.ie (while he's still there) and tell him you'll take your business elsewhere if it's not sorted. Now chances are, even if you switch provider and the problem is in the exchange, it will still be there but at least threaten it.
    BTW, what are your line stats (attenuation/snr) and what package are you on?

Who is Phil Nolan, and how do you think he can help ? I've already logged tickets with broadband support and filed a complaint due to their inability to solve the problem.

My stats are as follows:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 36.50 20.00

I'm on broadband home professional (the 3MB package).

Even during posting this, my line has disconnected several times.

Moving to another DSL provider will only make matters worse as they will end up escalating the problem to Eircom who will care even less since it will be a reseller package.

My only hope is that NTL get their act together and provide cable broadband in Swords. I aint going wireless.

I need Eircom to fix this. I am paying for a service they are not delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Phil Nolan is the Eircom chief executive and has been known to get things done if badgered enough.:) He's supposed to be leaving when the new owners move in.
    Thats what I said about another provider, the problem could still be there, just threaten to move.
    The figures look grand. With everything thats been ruled out, it really looks like the problem is in the exchange.
    Does the DSL light go out or start flashing when the connection drops?

ok thanks. Yeah the sync light goes out - its on and off all the time. The "engineer" tells me everything is fine at the exchange end, but with all I've been through I don't believe a word of it.

I'll try emailing the man and see what happens but I've zero confidence in anything being fixed at this stage. When I filed the customer complaint I asked them to send someone else to fix the problem as the same guy failed on three pervious occasions, but they still sent the same guy who again claimed his latest cable butchery solution should fix it but it didn't.

Never once on his three visits did he ask for my line stats or look at my router logs (though maybe he can see that from the exchange end). I honestly dont think they have a clue whats happening.

Sorry for the rant. This has been going on for 6 weeks and the result is I cant work from home - something I used to do twice a week. I am seriously frustrated.

Anyone ever had this happen to them and reached a solution ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

m_stan wrote:
    maybe.
    Funny thing is all worked fine before a recent line fault and splitter change by Eircom so the finger is pointing there.

Hi Stan,, what exactly happened on that occcasion? do you have any specifics?.. did your phone line die for a day ?

It is a long long story. The following is the letter I have drafted for Mr Nolan. It says about all I have the energy to type.

Dear Mr. Nolan

I am writing to you to complain about the provision of my DSL service to my home address above. I have been an Eircom phone customer for the last 5 years, during which time I had dual-channel ISDN for 2 years and ADSL for the last 3 years for business purposes.

The details that follow explain the terrible experience I have had with a problem with the DSL service your company provides and the total inability of your staff to address the problem. I apologise for the length of this correspondence but would appreciate if you could take the time to read it, and take the appropriate action.

Until around 6 weeks ago, the DSL service was outstanding, never letting me down once for the the three years I had been using it. I used to recommend Eircom DSL to anyone who asked me which broadband solution to go with.

I originally had Eircom DSL installed over three years ago. Since then I have had no phone extentions, monitored alarms etc installed. There were no changes to my internal phoneline or equipment use or wiring changes of any description.

Approximately 6 weeks ago, my DSL went down. I logged a ticket with broadband support and an engineer was dispatched to resolve the issue. His immediate response on entering my property was to disconnect two internal phone extensions I had installed prior to the installation of the DSL more than three years ago, saying that there was something on these lines that was taking the service down and that it was not his responsibility to service these lines. My DSL came back up. He left and though I was without my phone extensions, I was reasonably happy to be able to work again. During this engineers visit, I found him to be extremely rude, short and very keen to blame the situation on anything but the service. He obvisouly blamed the phone extensions, and he also suggested problems with my Netgear router – a hardware device I purchased myself and not provided by Eircom. He was a very poor representative for your company and did not show any courtesy to me. However, since my line now appeared to be back up I was willing to overlook this rudeness.

Shortly after he left, I noticed the DSL was down again. So I called support back and I another engineer call was booked. After several days I managed to get some time off work again to be there for the engineer to call.During this time, I received a Netopia router from Eircom which I installed to prove the Netgear hardware was not the problem. The same gentleman arrived and determined that the phone extension that Eircom had installed 3 years previously when the DSL was originally installed needed a new splitter. He installed this and everything appeared to work again. Again, he was his usual rude self and made me feel very uncomfortable with his short and uninterested conversation with me.

Shortly after he left, I noticed the DSL was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting as often as every 5 minutes essentially making the service useless to me as I use a VPN connection to access my office network meaning that this connection was constantly being disconnected. I logged another engineer call but before the engineer could call out everything settled down again and everything worked solidly for over 36 hours. So I called support and cancelled the engineer call. No sooner had I done this that the “constant disconnect” issue reappeared. At this point I began to get seriously annoyed so I filed a customer complaint firstly about the inability for Eircom to solve the problem, and secondly for the effective butchery of my internal cabling since this did not resolve my problem and effectively left me in a worse position than before Eircom visited my premises. I also mentioned that should the send another engineer to my house, I would appreciate if they sent someone else due to my unhappiness with the engineer who visited in the past.

When I got home, a card had been dropped in the door by the now familiar engineer. I arranged for him to come back last Friday which he did. His solution to the problem this time was to disconnect the line from my hallway that Eircom had originally installed themselves when I had DSL installed over 3 years ago, saying there was a fault somewhere on this line. I questioned this since my impression was that it was Eircoms responsibility to support a line they installed and that pulling it out was no solution for me as I needed the DSL working on that line. No, I was told – “we don’t support internal wiring anymore – it’s not cost efficient”. He said that he could only support the first line in the house and that all should be ok on that socket. At first glance, everything appeared fine.

However. No sooner had the engineer left that I noticed the line was still disconnecting every 5 to 10 minutes. So I am in the same boat as I was 4 engineer calls ago – without the DSL service I am paying for you to deliver to me. In fact I am worse off, as my 3 internal phone extensions are now disconnected meaning my phones around the house are out of order.

Also of note is that during the endless phonecalls and conversations I have had with your support, customer service and engineering staff there was never once a suggestion that I might be refunded for the service that I am paying for but not receiving.

I have attached a recent router log which shows the extent of this problem. This show the activity on the line during a 30min period. Everytime you see a “PPP-1 down: No Sync” is a line disconnect. As you can see, this happened 9 times in a 30min window. I think you’ll agree that this is inacceptable.

As you can imagine I am extremely frustrated at this. I am trying to work from my home office due to my long cross city commute. This is something I used to do up to three times per week. This is now impossible, and it is having a huge impact on my life due to the hours I now need to spend travelling every week. Due to the nature of my work and the reliance I have on an internet connection, I am unable to do my job properly. I have experienced a total lack of ability on Eircom’s part to resolve this issue. As a customer of over 5 years, and a business DSL paying subscriber I am at the end of my tether and forced to look at other service providers. The ability for me to switch to a wireless broadband supplier makes me extremely tempted to pull the plug on my Eircom line entirely and use a VOIP service for my phone line. I also have every intention of reporting this to ComReg and to any lobby group like Ireland Offline that I can think of to highlight my case. I’d really rather not have to go to these lengths. I just want the service you provided me so reliably up to 6 weeks ago to be restored.

I am at the stage where I must respectfully request that you assign someone of sufficient seniority and technical know-how to resolve this issue or I will have no choice but to cease your entire phone and broadband service due to my inability to do the work I used to be able to do.

I trust you will be able to help address this to my satisfaction.

Yours Sincerely,

and here's that log I refer to in my letter.

Connection Entries
    CURRENT Router STATUS
    DSL Router Status....... Up
    PPP Session Status..... Up
    Connection Type........... PPP over Ethernet LLC/SNAP
    Time since last boot...... 0 days, 11 hrs: 8 mins: 25 secs

EVENTS
    The first number is the Event time (days:hrs:min:sec) since boot.
    Events are listed starting from the most recent.

00:11:08:22 PPP: IPCP negotiated, session 1, rem: 159.134.155.27
    local: 83.71.36.37
    00:11:08:19 PPP: CHAP remote accepted us, Channel 1
    Remote name: srl1.bras
    00:11:08:19 PPP: NCP up, session 1, Channel 1
    Final (fallback) negotiated auth: Local NONE, Remote CHAP
    00:11:08:19 PPP: Channel 1 up, Dialout
    Profile name: WAN2
    00:11:08:19 PPPOE: Session state started
    profile WAN2
    00:11:08:19 PPPOE: PADS Received
    00:00:00:00 Last message repeated 2 times
    00:11:08:16 PPP-2 down: Profile in use
    00:11:08:15 PPPOE: PADR Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:11:08:15 PPPOE: PADO Received
    00:11:08:15 PPPOE: PADI Sent
    00:11:08:15 PPPOE: PADT Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:11:08:15 PPPOE: Discovery state started
    profile WAN2
    00:11:08:14 RFC1483-1 up
    00:11:08:14 >>WAN: Data link activated at 3072 / 384 Kbps (rx/tx)
    00:00:00:00 Last message repeated 10 times
    00:11:08:08 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:11:08:08 IP: Demand call requested by 192.168.1.3
    to IP destination 66.249.91.19
    00:00:00:00 Last message repeated 12 times
    00:11:07:53 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:11:07:53 IP: Demand call requested by 192.168.1.3
    to IP destination 66.102.11.99
    00:00:00:00 Last message repeated 1 times
    00:11:07:53 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:11:07:52 PPP: IPCP down, session 1
    00:11:07:52 PPP-1 down: Remote clearing
    00:11:07:52 >>WAN: Data link deactivated
    00:11:04:46 PPP: IPCP negotiated, session 1, rem: 159.134.155.27
    local: 83.71.62.150
    00:11:04:46 PPP: CHAP remote accepted us, Channel 1
    00:11:04:46 PPP: NCP up, session 1, Channel 1
    00:11:04:46 PPP: Channel 1 up, Dialout
    00:11:04:46 PPPOE: Session state started
    profile WAN2
    00:11:04:46 PPPOE: PADS Received
    00:11:04:46 PPPOE: PADR Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:11:04:46 PPPOE: PADO Received
    00:11:04:46 PPP-2 down: Profile in use
    00:11:04:46 PPPOE: PADI Sent
    00:11:04:46 PPPOE: PADT Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:11:04:46 PPPOE: Discovery state started
    profile WAN2
    00:11:04:45 RFC1483-1 up
    00:11:04:45 >>WAN: Data link activated at 3072 / 384 Kbps (rx/tx)
    00:00:00:00 Last message repeated 5 times
    00:11:04:30 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:11:04:30 IP: Demand call requested by 192.168.1.4
    to IP destination 66.102.9.99
    00:11:04:28 PPP: IPCP down, session 1
    00:11:04:28 PPP-1 down: Remote clearing
    00:11:04:28 >>WAN: Data link deactivated
    00:11:04:00 PPP: IPCP negotiated, session 1, rem: 159.134.155.27
    local: 83.71.47.60
    00:11:03:59 PPP: CHAP remote accepted us, Channel 1
    00:11:03:59 PPP: NCP up, session 1, Channel 1
    00:11:03:59 PPP: Channel 1 up, Dialout
    00:11:03:59 PPPOE: Session state started
    profile WAN2
    00:11:03:59 PPPOE: PADS Received
    00:11:03:59 PPPOE: PADR Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:11:03:59 PPPOE: PADO Received
    00:11:03:59 PPPOE: PADI Sent
    00:11:03:59 PPPOE: PADT Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:11:03:59 PPPOE: Discovery state started
    profile WAN2
    00:11:03:59 IP: Demand call requested by 192.168.1.4
    to IP destination 216.239.59.99
    00:11:03:56 RFC1483-1 up
    00:11:03:56 >>WAN: Data link activated at 3072 / 384 Kbps (rx/tx)
    00:00:00:00 Last message repeated 1 times
    00:11:03:48 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:11:03:48 IP: Demand call requested by 192.168.1.3
    to IP destination 72.14.205.83
    00:11:03:37 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:11:03:36 PPP: IPCP down, session 1
    00:11:03:36 PPP-1 down: Remote clearing
    00:11:03:36 >>WAN: Data link deactivated
    00:10:44:06 PPP: IPCP negotiated, session 1, rem: 159.134.155.27
    local: 83.70.76.30
    00:10:44:06 PPP: CHAP remote accepted us, Channel 1
    00:10:44:06 PPP: NCP up, session 1, Channel 1
    00:10:44:06 PPP: Channel 1 up, Dialout
    00:10:44:06 PPPOE: Session state started
    profile WAN2
    00:10:44:06 PPPOE: PADS Received
    00:10:44:05 PPPOE: PADR Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:10:44:05 PPPOE: PADO Received
    00:10:44:05 PPPOE: PADI Sent
    00:10:44:05 PPPOE: PADT Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:10:44:05 PPPOE: Discovery state started
    profile WAN2
    00:10:44:05 IP: Demand call requested by 192.168.1.254
    to IP destination 204.152.184.72
    00:10:44:02 RFC1483-1 up
    00:10:44:02 >>WAN: Data link activated at 3072 / 384 Kbps (rx/tx)
    00:10:43:46 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:10:43:45 PPP: IPCP down, session 1
    00:10:43:45 PPP-1 down: Remote clearing
    00:10:43:45 >>WAN: Data link deactivated
    00:10:41:10 PPP: IPCP negotiated, session 1, rem: 159.134.155.27
    local: 213.94.243.100
    00:10:41:10 PPP: CHAP remote accepted us, Channel 1
    00:10:41:10 PPP: NCP up, session 1, Channel 1
    00:10:41:09 PPP: Channel 1 up, Dialout
    00:10:41:09 PPPOE: Session state started
    profile WAN2
    00:10:41:09 PPPOE: PADS Received
    00:10:41:09 PPPOE: PADR Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:10:41:09 PPPOE: PADO Received
    00:10:41:09 PPPOE: PADI Sent
    00:10:41:09 PPPOE: Discovery state started
    profile WAN2
    00:10:41:09 PPPOE: PADT Received
    00:10:41:09 PPP-1 down: PPP CHAP failure
    00:10:41:09 PPPOE: PADT Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:10:41:09 * PPP: CHAP authentication failed, Channel 1
    Reason: Remote refused our authentication attempt
    00:10:41:08 PPP: Channel 1 up, Dialout
    00:10:41:08 PPPOE: Session state started
    profile WAN2
    00:10:41:08 PPPOE: PADS Received
    00:10:41:08 PPPOE: PADR Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:10:41:08 PPPOE: PADO Received
    00:10:41:08 PPPOE: PADI Sent
    00:10:41:08 PPPOE: PADT Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:10:41:08 PPPOE: Discovery state started
    profile WAN2
    00:10:41:07 RFC1483-1 up
    00:10:41:07 >>WAN: Data link activated at 3072 / 384 Kbps (rx/tx)
    00:00:00:00 Last message repeated 9 times
    00:10:40:54 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:10:40:54 IP: Demand call requested by 192.168.1.3
    to IP destination 66.102.11.189
    00:10:40:50 PPP-1 down: No Sync
    00:10:40:49 PPP: IPCP down, session 1
    00:10:40:49 PPP-1 down: Remote clearing
    00:10:40:49 >>WAN: Data link deactivated
    00:10:38:22 PPP: IPCP negotiated, session 1, rem: 159.134.155.27
    local: 83.70.77.235
    00:10:38:22 PPP: CHAP remote accepted us, Channel 1
    00:10:38:22 PPP: NCP up, session 1, Channel 1
    00:10:38:18 PPP: Channel 1 up, Dialout
    00:10:38:18 PPPOE: Session state started
    profile WAN2
    00:10:38:18 PPPOE: PADS Received
    00:10:38:18 PPPOE: PADR Sent
    profile WAN2
    00:10:38:18 PPPOE: PADO Received
    00:10:38:17 PPPOE: PADI Sent
    00:10:38:17 PPPOE: PADT Sent
    profile WAN2

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

I'm in the same boat now. Fine for a year, then this. Same error messages: Remote clearing. Replaced modem/splitter, nothing on the line except modem. Line has been checked as ok. Still disconnecting every hour or so.

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 51.50 31.00
    CRC Errors 21 5

Sometime SN drops to 3, I suspect an intermittent fault, which the engies done want to seem to take the time to investigate properly.

Cheers,
    Dave.

thought I posted my outcome to this but maybe not ...

You would not believe what happened to get this fixed. A week after I sent the email above to the Eircom CEO, I got a call from some sort of senior engineer - a DSL expert.

They came out to my house and tried everything they already tried to no avail. He then told me that he was not allowed leave my house until my problem was resolved. he replaced all the sockets, boxes, cables, splitters etc in my house - ever piece of hardware I was using to connect to the external line. They then replaced all the hardware my line was connected to down at the exhchange. They then put me on a brand new line from the exchange to my house. So in summary, due to their inability to find what the issue was - they replaced every piece of hardware at every point to get it fixed.

And it worked.

Line has been rock solid since.

Lesson learned - writing an email to the CEO sometimes helps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Who is the current eircom CEO?

Im having serious eircom issues for 5 months now and numerous complaints and calls have not sorted the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

m_stan wrote:
    thought I posted my outcome to this but maybe not ...

You would not believe what happened to get this fixed. A week after I sent the email above to the Eircom CEO, I got a call from some sort of senior engineer - a DSL expert.

They came out to my house and tried everything they already tried to no avail. He then told me that he was not allowed leave my house until my problem was resolved. he replaced all the sockets, boxes, cables, splitters etc in my house - ever piece of hardware I was using to connect to the external line. They then replaced all the hardware my line was connected to down at the exhchange. They then put me on a brand new line from the exchange to my house. So in summary, due to their inability to find what the issue was - they replaced every piece of hardware at every point to get it fixed.

And it worked.

Line has been rock solid since.

Lesson learned - writing an email to the CEO sometimes helps.
    Jaysus they surely pulled out all the stops for you. How many hours did they spend working at this? At least they eventually sorted the problem in a comprehensive manner. But you shouldn't have to go to such an extent to get a good service.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks m_stam but has anyone got an email for the CEO ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The CEO was on Primetime there along with Damien Mulley of IrelandOffline, Matt Cooper and some fella from the consumer's association. You should email in your story to primetime at this address: prime.time[at]rte.ie

I've heard of problems with eircom mysteriously sort themselves after an email. Apparently the Ray D'Arcy show recently had lots of text complaints which were sent on to eircom who were to investigate each one.

I'd send the email sooner rather than later while it is fresh on primetime's agenda. Have you been in contact with IrelandOffline also?

• Advertisement

Jaysus they surely pulled out all the stops for you. How many hours did they spend working at this? At least they eventually sorted the problem in a comprehensive manner. But you shouldn't have to go to such an extent to get a good service.

They came around 9 or 10 and had it sorted by 2. They really did pull out all the stops, and you are correct - it never should have come to that. But I am now a happy customer, so it was worth it from their perspective I'm sure - if even just to shut me up and for me to tell all you guys about the happy ending !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

****in hell :eek: ... it's say a hell of alot when you have to contact the CEO of Eircom just to get your DSL service repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

i work for a broadband company and can confirm that eircom are USLESS, their engineers are lazy and unintrested in resolving any faults , they alway blame everyone but themselfs. USLESS ********

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

coady wrote:
    i work for a broadband company and can confirm that eircom are USLESS, their engineers are lazy and unintrested in resolving any faults , they alway blame everyone but themselfs. USLESS ********

In my experience, it's exactly the oppsite. I had an intermittent disconnect problem and my assigned engineer who would simply not give up. And when the problem was elevated up to a DSL expert in dublin, he wouldnt give up either. Several nights of tweaking settings, monitoring the line stats, the line was eventually tweaked to give the best speed for my 5km line length (turns out to be 3712kbps), and with no disconnects.
    I think their service is great, and would never switch to another provider.
    (And no, I don't work for Eircom) :)
    Cheers,
    Dave.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

coady wrote:

I dont suppose you are going to say anything else and you produce absolutely no evidence to support your rant.

With many companies its the luck of the draw with who you get on a call. A friend of mine had a dire line in an apartment in an old house in Dublin. First Eicom engineer who came out wasn't remotely interested in this plight - second guy who came out worked wonders and spent hours helping him with the result he had bb - its not great because of the wiring he inherited within the house but without that engineer he wouldnt have any bb at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Last time I had to chase eircom for a customer I drove past the exchange and spotted the van ( the line had broken down that am)

there were 2 of them inside . small country exchange.

No 1 said nobody in there had had touched anything all morning ...a complete sleveen with incriminatory Krone tool in hand as he spoke ....I asked him if the krone tool was a carrot slicer or wha ???

No 2 then appeared out from beside the frame and checked everything for me , gave me his mobile , I went back onsite and rang him while observing dsl stats .

He could not have been more professional and as it happens there was a slight dsl line card fault which was not a line issue but which co incidentally happened while they were there and which required a separate engineer to come out with a line card and fix it a day or two later .

2 different eircoms in the space of 1 mins. Its pot luck which one you get but the good guys are great , the best !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Double bump!! Me and a friend are getting these problems and i was wondering if anyone else was getting them randomly after the upgrade to 7616/672.

Both of us live in different streets in the same area and as i type this its giving me jip and the internet light is red. This is driving me mad.

Edit: SN Margin (dB) downstream is constantly changing. Is it supposed to do that?
    Edit2: ^^ It seems to go into the minuses when the connection drops, going to try disconnect the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RobY

Hi,

Had the same thing recently but now sorted.

I was on the 3 Meg and got the uplift to 7616/672. Was rock solid for the first 6 weeks or so then started to go flaky. My SN Margin was 7db after the upgrade but was holding.

In the last few weeks, the connection started dropping and got progressively worse in the last week or so. Swapped out the router, cables, filters etc. No progress. Tried my router in work on our DSL test line - rock solid.

I'm not sure how much of this is weather related or whether that's even a factor. May also be something they did at their end.

Rang Eircom support, they dropped me to 6.1 Meg, got slightly better but flaked out at night. Tons of CRC errors - 20+ a second.

Rang Eircom again yesterday. They lowered my connection to 5120/512. Voila - CRC errors gone, connection rock solid the last 24 hours. My SN Margin is now 11db at an attenuation of 38db.

Anyway, worth doing as a test. The tech mentioned that they put me onto 'High Interleaving 2' because of my connection issues. 45ms pings to boards.ie is fine for me. Continuous ping to boards ran for 2 hours with 0% packet loss after the downgrade.

BTW, I'm in Stoneybatter (Dublin 7, North Main exchange).

Double bump!! Me and a friend are getting these problems and i was wondering if anyone else was getting them randomly after the upgrade to 7616/672.

Both of us live in different streets in the same area and as i type this its giving me jip and the internet light is red. This is driving me mad.

Edit: SN Margin (dB) downstream is constantly changing. Is it supposed to do that?
    Edit2: ^^ It seems to go into the minuses when the connection drops, going to try disconnect the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

When i plugged out the phone and disconnected the other line from the surge protector, then put the line from the socket straight into the router, i was getting massive crc's downstream and my synch speed was in the 3meg area.

I swapped the old line that was there and snr seemed to hold at 14.50 and crcs were gone. Ill do more testing when i get home tomorrie.

Happy halloween RobY. Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

hey how much did they charge you to fix, I have a problem with mine also ,they want 150 euro :( Ive been using it for 3 years almost, netopia 2247,

Advertisement