Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV unlimited

• 23-06-2006 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

im barely hanging onto me 12gb cap as we speak im guessing ill be suspended by tonight cause this morning it was just hitting the 12 gb mark..so im going to set my account to unlimited for next month before i get cut off..but i have one question..

they say they manage your bandwidth during peak times.. is this management of the speed at which you can download stuff at peak times or is it the management so that you can only download a certain amount of mb during peaktimes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It usually means that they will limit your download speeds at peek times, but I think this only applies if you go over the 120G cap on the 'unlimited' service. When below 120G you will not be affected at peek or off-peek times. I think you'd be hard pressed to download more than 120G in a month unless you go completely bananas on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

its pretty easy to download more than 12GB that the OP is talking about (not 120GB, jor el)

I've managed to hit 46GB this month alone (thats only me, there's 2 others on the connection as well) but hey I'm on Smart's 5MB package :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

sounds good jor el and pizzahead thanx..

and i think jor el means pizzehead that utv have set a 120gb mark and if an unlimited customer goes over it they get warned once and if it persists a second warning is given and then if it still persists they get switched to the heavy downloaders group ..am i rite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

iggyman wrote:
    sounds good jor el and pizzahead thanx..

and i think jor el means pizzehead that utv have set a 120gb mark and if an unlimited customer goes over it they get warned once and if it persists a second warning is given and then if it still persists they get switched to the heavy downloaders group ..am i rite?

My impression was that when you go over the 20gb in my case (3mb CS+) then and only then do they reserve the right to move you to share contention with other heavy downloaders and just for the remainder of peak hours for that day.

Regardless, I have been on unlimited for 2 full months now and have never noticed any throttling or lower speeds.

Why don't you post in the UTV newsgroup and maybe Carl can clarify things.

were can i find the utv newsgroup?

so if i go over my 12gb a month ill get warned ? that sounds stupid because then it isnt unlimited at all and personally if somewere were to download there12gb in a month they wouldnt be a heavy downloader...they say HEAVY downloaders so they must just mean something like 50gb at least..im not sure

if i can get into the newsgroup well then ill probably find out..ill be happy if the limit they have set is at least 40 gb a month and over because ill be able to stay within the limit there..in the terms and conditions it states that you get warned twice before you get put into the heavy downloaders group..so ill know then how much bandwidth i used to make them email me..and know not to go over it again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

news.utvinternet.com. You can use Outlook Express to access it.
    When you download the list of available newsgroups look for utv.support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

iggyman wrote:

so if i go over my 12gb a month ill get warned ? that sounds stupid because then it isnt unlimited at all and personally if somewere were to download there12gb in a month they wouldnt be a heavy downloader...they say HEAVY downloaders so they must just mean something like 50gb at least..im not sure

if i can get into the newsgroup well then ill probably find out..ill be happy if the limit they have set is at least 40 gb a month and over because ill be able to stay within the limit there..in the terms and conditions it states that you get warned twice before you get put into the heavy downloaders group..so ill know then how much bandwidth i used to make them email me..and know not to go over it again..

I think if you go over the limit they charge you a lot extra. Or maybe you just cant access the internet. Ive never went over but i think your charged huge rates

yeah man theres two options you can choose in ur clicksilver online account page..you can either choose to suspend ur account upon reaching the limit or get charged by every mb you go over it..so i choose to suspend to be on the safe side..im on 122??mb now..i wont be here online until next friday .. seeyas :(

iggyman wrote:

so if i go over my 12gb a month ill get warned ? .....

No. No warning. Basically they are just reserving the right to move you to share contention with other heavy downloaders, "IF" you are taking the piss with Bit Torrent or P2P and uploading and downloading to the max 24/7/30. But even at that they'll will only do this during peak hours.

The month I did 40 something gigs, I was uploading to the max 24/7 for most of the month and downloading to the max for about half the month, a prime canditate for be throttled...and I wasn't. I wouldn't worry about it. I used to have my account set for charging over the cap. Broke it by about a gig the odd time and was charged around 14 euro. It was a no brainer to go 'Unlimited' for 6 euro. I worked out last month that had I broken my cap by that much and not been on unlimited, my cap charge would have been 280 euro!

jesus thats alot man ..you were lucky...but actually i need a bit of help..i choose to have my account suspended when i reach the cap since i got clicksilver and im looking at my account now and it says
    "Your current bandwidth usage this month is:

Incoming: 12438.8MB
    Outgoing: 1085.6MB

You have exceeded your monthly download allocation of 12GB (12288MB)

Your account will have been suspended until the end of the month, as per your Cap Choice. "

but how come im still allowed to surf the interweb..whats going on? will i be charged? help please cause i dont want to get charged loads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If your account is set to be disconnected then you CAN'T be charged. This has come up before. You probably won't be disconnected until you reboot the modem or they refresh their system. When this has been mentioned before users have said that the amount they went over is deducted from next months cap.

alri thats makes it a bit clearer... but im going unlimited next month..so this wont be a problem ye?

Iggyman,

Found the UTV Fair Usage Page. Its located Here

So basically you will actually be warned 3 times via email before they move you to share contention with other heavy users during peak hours. like I said in a previous post. I was uploading and downloading nearly 24/7 last month using bit torrent and Peer to peer software, and I didn't get a single warning email. So I would say its nothing to worry about. Download to your hearts content!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Calibos wrote:
    Iggyman,

Found the UTV Fair Usage Page. Its located Here

So basically you will actually be warned 3 times via email before they move you to share contention with other heavy users during peak hours. like I said in a previous post. I was uploading and downloading nearly 24/7 last month using bit torrent and Peer to peer software, and I didn't get a single warning email. So I would say its nothing to worry about. Download to your hearts content!

Your "Download to your hearts content" and my view of "Download to your hearts content" probable differ wildly.

What would you consider "Download to your hearts content"....100GB DL and 30GB UP or what?

zuma wrote:
    Your "Download to your hearts content" and my view of "Download to your hearts content" probable differ wildly.

What would you consider "Download to your hearts content"....100GB DL and 30GB UP or what?

TBH I think he only has to worry if he was downloading HiDef Rips of movies at full speed from usenet. Bit-torrent never maxed out my downloads. TBH this is what the 100gb DL crowd must be doing cause I was downloading certain American 350mb files nearly constantly for the whole month and only downloaded 40gb. So in short, I would say he can download as many game demo's as he wants, as many patches as he wants, as many 'American 350mb files' as he wants, stream as many internet tv channels (Big Brother for example) as he wants. Stream as many internet radio stations as he wants...........and still not have to worry about breaking the fair usage policy to the point where they throttle him. Just stay away from Usenet. That will max out his connection and with lots of tempting illegal content

So yeah, I would say beyond 70-80 gb you are starting to take the piss. Beyond 100gb and you definately are.

haha..thanx calibos fort teh help..now i know exactly whats going on....i will defo be able to stay way under the 80 gig mark no problem..
    thanx

Advertisement