Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling a downstairs ,joist floor

• 23-06-2006 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,just wondering if anyone has ever had to level a floor in a room where the wall has been broken down in the middle.

I.E. Kitchen and Sitting room are now one ,but where the wall use to be is higher ,so there is a rise to the centre of the room.

The floor is chipboard ,so it's got some play in it. I was wondering is there such a thing as flexible self levelling compound ,something that will level itself but allow for movement after.

Don't want to lift the floor as this will be more trouble than it's worth .

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maud

This self levelling compound can be used directly on top of floorboards but we have had to import it directly from Denmark.

http://www.mira-byggeprodukter.dk/Admin/Public/DWSDownload.aspx?File=Files%2fFiler%2f063126_GB.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I was looking at that last night on an english website ,
    Seems to have flexible fibres in it ,

Thanks for the reply ,did you tile over it ? ,or was it just to level the floor

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

_Brian_ wrote:
    Hello ,just wondering if anyone has ever had to level a floor in a room where the wall has been broken down in the middle.

I.E. Kitchen and Sitting room are now one ,but where the wall use to be is higher ,so there is a rise to the centre of the room.

The floor is chipboard ,so it's got some play in it. I was wondering is there such a thing as flexible self levelling compound ,something that will level itself but allow for movement after.

Don't want to lift the floor as this will be more trouble than it's worth .

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Brian.

It would be wise to at least try and strengthen your floor, as chipboard is not the most rigid of sheet materials. Is there a lot of flexing in the floor at present.

Although the leveling compound has fibres for strength , and allows for some flexibilty in the floor. Its not going to adhere too well if there is major deflection in the floor when you walk on it.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks Kadman ,I was thinking that myself .

Wasn't sure how flexible the stuff was ,I'll probably have to replace the small side and rise it :o

Brian.

Advertisement